How Did Lex Luthor Do As President?

I havent read any issue with Lex being president but still, how did he do? Was he a terrible president? A good president? Did he do anything to help the US? How was he?

2 Likes

Believe it or not, most iterations of Luthor’s presidency are pretty good!

If you look at the Elseworlds story “Superman: Red Son”, Luthor becomes President and helps the US become a world power that could rival Superman’s Soviet Union.

If you look at the Batman/Superman comic run from years ago, Luthor again brought the US out of a recession and helped the country prosper. Of course, it is also revealed that he was taking Kryptonite-infused drugs and was using his power (political and otherwise) as a means to destroy Superman, but up until that point, the US was doing pretty well, if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

Yeah I read that one, I wasn’t counting it because it’s an elseworld.

So he was a good president?

1 Like

Yeah, I would say so. The whole time he was just doing it to set things in motion that would make Superman look bad, but I would say that from what little we hear of his presidency in those comics, he was a pretty good one.

2 Likes

Prior to Superman/Batman, he was a fairly good president, but under it all he was still the Lex we all know. He was also instrumental in saving the Earth during Our Worlds at War.

During Superman/Batman’s initial arc, Public Enemies, he tries to frame Superman and Batman, but ultimately goes insane and his presidency ends. From that point until The New 52, Lex goes back to being a criminal mastermind.

5 Likes

So superman was right, if lex wanted to he could have save the world a long time ago.

5 Likes

Gonna disagree strongly- during Our Worlds at War, he secretly made deals with Brainiac (trading his infant daughter to Brainiac in exchange for technology on his way to the white house) and Darkseid (giving Darkseid DOOMSDAY while in office). He knew Kansas would be attacked, and he kept that secret. He murdered someone inside the oval office. When a metor made of kryptonite was heading for earth, he was more concerned with pinning it on Superman than he was about saving lives. Terrible president.

5 Likes

I won’t argue with that, but I assumed the question was based on non-super related things, like if he lowered taxes or whatever else. I even go on to mention that he essentially threw all the work he had done away just to screw around with Superman. So yeah, Luthor is definitely a madman who prioritizes Superman’s suffering over anything else, but the day to day bureaucratic stuff was handled well under the Luthor administration. As I recall, him being successful as President was in itself just another ploy to torment Supes, but don’t deny that he was doing the job.

2 Likes

I’d agree.

But, we all know Lex can never get out of the way of his ego, so he’ll never work towards bettering Metropolis for truly humanitarian reasons.

Even if he defeated Superman, he’d still be obsessed with him as every little thing he’d do “for the good of Metropolis” would, privately, be his way of trying to stamp out Superman’s legacy, rather than working towards the legitimate betterment of the City of Tomorrow.

3 Likes

I’m not really surprised that lex did all that, because we’re talking about comic books like but like @Batman0803 I meant non super villain related things. I doubt any of our real life president sold plans to intergalactic space alien.

Hmm, sounds familiar

Yeah these are more like it, they’re more realistic than hearing trump or Obama sell a child to a space madman.

I guess those things do make him a terrible president, but did he help the US?

2 Likes

Maybe, but in the context of all the rest of it- who cares? You can’t overlook criminal activity just because job numbers are up (you shouldn’t anyways…).

5 Likes

Fair point.

2 Likes