House of Horror 49 - Scooby Apocalypse

That’s because there is no Catman-based Hot Wheels car, yet. :slight_smile:

You can find the shorts on the Cartoon Network app. Right now, the show itself is only available for purchase, but its worth it (as were the toys based on it).

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I figured on both…I’ve shown u my lucky BK grabs of JL Action figures. The only WW I own that has a shield. Props to my pops who covered every BK in the opposite direction that I headed, asking for figures to buy on the last day. We got em all except Batman.

3 Likes

Check out the Mattel Justice League Action line, sometime. It’s pretty snazzy (especially the Swamp Thing figure).

3 Likes

I don’t know about Future Quest but I do know Huntress is in that Batman/Scooby book.

3 Likes

Ooh I need a Swamp Thing. I got cocky & passed on an awesome one for $9.99 for months. Then went back to snag it & it was $29.99. Hate when I do that. You know how it is tho. If u keep a regular eye on figs, u know what the price should be? Ones that stay at the same price usually jump, but not super quick. I only waited like a few days b4 it would’ve been 2 months. It jumped. Same thing just happened to Huntress Bombshells, but the Joelle Jones inspired Cover Girls dropped, the same day the Bombshells one jumped. So I ended up with the cover girls, for the price I was gonna pay for the Bombshells one. Fair enough I suppose?

3 Likes

Oh okay gotcha. I was confused. I thought I missed a Huntress appearance in Future Quest. Yes, Huntress was awesome in Scooby-Doo. Just another reason it was so great. But, it was awesome regardless. Loved Secret Squirrel storyline intertwined with it.

3 Likes

Future Quest is a great big, meaty, hearty, bowl of badass Hanna-Barbera stew. It’s a HB-only club, and is absolutely worth joining.

4 Likes

I’ll read it. U have my word.

3 Likes

I thought I would highlight some variant covers for issue 1 of Scooby Apocalypse.
Various artists and I am in a hurry before I get back to work.

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Does anyone have any sources on how this series became a thing? I am happy it happened but it just seems like a stretch and I would have loved to be a fly on the wall of that pitch meeting.

6 Likes

David Finch, yeah? Very nice.

:thinking: I remember reading somewhere in '16 (maybe a DC Nation Spotlight?) where Jim Lee was said to be a Scooby-Doo fan and had a hand in the series coming to fruition, which is probably why he did the covers for the first four issues.

3 Likes

Joelle Jones

4 Likes

Her style sure looked like Finch’s, then. Oh well, its a beautiful piece.

3 Likes

Yeah, there are definitely similarities to Finch’s Wonder Woman work.

4 Likes

I wonder if Jones was mentored by Finch.

When I think of JJ’s style, I think of the current volume of Catwoman, and Wonder Girl too, of course.

2 Likes

Here is an article by Entertainment weekly talking to Dan Didio about the project.

5 Likes

These are all gorgeous covers!

3 Likes

“I’m a huge Scooby Doo fan, as I think most people are,” admits Lee. “I mean, look at these iconic series and they were cultural touchstones for everyone. All my kids know of Scooby Doo from the various cartoons and live action movies, and we’re in a period where you have people my age that are spending their days thinking about cartoon and sci-fi action movies. It’s a multigenerational obsession at this point, and we just thought it would just be really interesting to take the cartoon version of these characters and see where they would be if we took what existed in the very first iteration of the cartoon and moved it into this day and age.”

This is some interesting insight from Dan DiDio.

5 Likes

And Jim Lee. :wink:

hopes that one day, an animated adaptation, be it a movie or TV series (or both), of Scooby Apocalypse will come about

BTW, is it me, or were the dialogue bubbles on the last page of SA #4 reversed?

It seems like what Fred should have said was instead said by Shaggy, and vice versa.

3 Likes

I absolutely love Joelle Jones’ work. That’s one artist I never really had an opinion on until this site. Now, one of my favorites. I was pumped she designed Huntress’ Cover Girls Statue.

3 Likes

Wow this was such a fun read. I was a huge Scooby Doo fan as a kid (and I guess I still am). This was a cool “grown-up” version of that. It was a little weird seeing the gang with guns haha but overall the art was great, the story was great, the characters were great.

Oh and can’t forget to mention - I’m really into this Conjuring series and I’m excited for where it’s taking us. I didn’t think I was gonna like it but it’s definitely surprised me. And I do love a good queer story.

6 Likes