House of Horror 28 - Low, Low Woods

I love Palmiotti and Gray which is the one thing that makes me keep eyeing those Jonah Hex titles. I just read Trancers from them on Comixology, based on one of the best movies ever made. The book was excellent and had the same vibes of the original movies.

3 Likes

The Jonah Hex books are 90% one and done stories, so you can hit them here and their anytime. All Star Western is more story arcs, but Hex works well in both.

3 Likes

All Star Western is what I was thinking of. Tons of Hex.

3 Likes

All Star is very much a DC series, for all thatā€™s good about that. The modern Jonah Hex series is Eastwood

2 Likes

Yeah it was on binge worthy @HubCityQuestion put it up with reasons why u should binge etc. I was intrigued & read it in 3 days lol.

3 Likes

Yes he wrote it.

3 Likes

Read Locke & Key 1st or watch it than read?

3 Likes

I gotta say, every time I get my head above water on comics to read, another wave comes in some new some old.
Good problem to have.

3 Likes

I face the same dilemma

3 Likes

I just read all 6 books of The Low, Low Woods. This definitely has a different vibe from the previous Hill House books HoH has read. That is not a bad thing. Before I dive into the writing and story, I want to take a second to talk about the art. A lot of the current horror comics have the same style of art, it is not bad but nothing really sticks out. DaNi did a great job on this book but often fell in the trappings of the current horror comic trends. Perhaps, I have read way too many various horror books from many different publishers and I have grown used to this style.

That doesnā€™t mean there arenā€™t pages that look amazing! This was my favorite panel.

As for the story and writing. To be completely honest, the use of profanity, in the beginning, was jarring. I am fine with profanity but I am not used to characters dropping F-bombs every other word. At first, I found this to be lazy writing. Then as I continued to read and thought back to being the age of El and Octavia and ā€œdiscoveringā€ the F-bomb, it was this ah-ha moment that made me realize this wasnā€™t lazy writing but the way how teenagers talk. I am not sure if they still do but it was the way I talked in the 90s.

The story took a little to get going. As I was reading this I thought back to Vertigoā€™s House of Mystery series where each patron told a story to honor the House of Mystery anthology lineage. That same style can be found in the pages of The Low, Low Woods as the citizens of Shudder-To-Think, PA told their stories. Some of the stories told were better than others, with the witchā€™s being my favorite and Jessicaā€™s story being a very close second favorite. There were also moments that reminded me of the movie Cure For Wellness but those were very brief and probably had more to do with the setting than anything else. Meanwhile, the main story arc was pretty crazy and weird.

One thing about The Low, Low Woods is that I really liked the two main characters. As friends, they have a love for each other that is touching. Being set in the mid-'90s, there is a certain kinship for lesbians in a small town and these characters fully embrace it.

I havenā€™t read any of Carmen Maria Machadoā€™s other stories or books and I am open to reading more from her. Once again, Hill House has delivered. I am excited to see what everyone else thinks of The Low, Low Woods. It is weird, creepy, and just different from anything we have read in HoH.

6 Likes

This has been on my to do list for a while now and just finished the series. From some of the covers I thought it was going to be more scary than it actually was. Iā€™ve never read any of her other things and im not sure I would. The art is really great and the little side stories, Jessica and her mother plus the witch those are definitely the best like darkstarz said.

There were a lot of great panels but this one was a top 5

4 Likes

This was another great panel! There truly are a few panels that stood out above the others in The Low, Low Woods.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t started reading this yet, but I will say that this really feels really inspired by Silent Hill and Iā€™m all in for it.

Iā€™ll also second the Hack/Slash recommendation. Recently put money in for the Kickstarter Seeley did for a nice hardcover edition and it is great stuff. It has some of that titilating slasher horror and 90-esque Bad Girl style, but Cassie and Vlad felt like real, well developed characters who go through a great journey.

3 Likes

A while back Humble Bundle had an Image Comics bundle and it had 6 omnibus volumes in it. I am slowly making my way through the first volume but then Sweet Tooth dropped and I am almost finished with that series.

1 Like

Hack/Slash is a lot of fun. I have only recently learned that there were more than 3 omnibus.

I donā€™t know how I didnā€™t know this already.

2 Likes

I think that I need to re-read this.

2 Likes

This was a fun story but I am not sure if I would call it a horror comic. I guess it can be?

1 Like

Agreed, it is a little more of a post-apocalyptic sci-fi story than anything. There are horrible things that happen in the story but yeah, kind of straddles the line.

2 Likes

I just read all 6 issues and I gotta say, I absolutely loved it. My favourite part was giving all the women a choice at the end. I know I would have drank it, but against my will? That would have effed me up.

This is the first hill house comic ive read but iā€™m def gonna look into the other ones! Iā€™d forgotten how much I love horror comics

4 Likes

Welcome to House of Horror!!! Hill House books are a great place to start on DCUI. We have previously read The Plunge and Basketful Of Heads. If you are in an adventurous mood you can check out the list of every book we have read. There are some out-of-the-box picks (Action Comics) and many titles that often get overlooked like The Dark Mansion Of Forbidden Love.

I agree, that ending was perfect!!! I honestly did not see it coming so when it happened I was extremely happy.

3 Likes