House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3 (Witching Hour)

I hate most beer, but I’d drink a Coors for her.

Love the Pocket Pop. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I love beer but haven’t drank it since umm, March of last year. Wowsers!!! Didn’t realize it has been that long ago. I figured alcohol lowers the immune system and I have a pretty crappy immune system as it is. Considering everything that is going down in the world I just stopped drinking.

2 Likes

The Witching Hour is one of my favorite stories to come out in the past 5 years. The art on page jumps out in an urgent manner that is not scene often. The writing is perfect, diving into Wonder Woman’s previously unmentioned past and opens the doors for the future of Wonder Woman and Justice League Dark. Every character has a distinctive voice and the impact of seeing the Green destroyed never gets old. This has something for everyone while Swamp Thing and Wonder Woman fans are in for a serious treat.

Do you like Witching Hour as much as I do?

4 Likes

This tripped me up twice. :frowning: I’m like what the heck am I reading. Hate when that happens.

2 Likes

I have no idea why they did it like that. If I remember correctly they did the same thing with the I, Vampire and JLD crossover that we read.

2 Likes

I hate to say it but I kind of gave up on the ivampire crossover because it kept pointing me to the wrong issue. So frustrating. That is one thing ComiXology does right,(most of the time). When you finish the issue they will have a link to the next issue in the series and a link to the next issue in the story.

2 Likes

I really dug that crossover. When I read it, I read all of the JLD and I, Vampire books up to that crossover and then finished I, Vampire a few days later. Such a great series that sort of got swept under the rug.

1 Like

I really enjoyed both series. I read them back in 2014 or 15. Wanted to re-read them for the club. I may need to give it another try.

2 Likes

This was very good. I usually get lost with these big cosmic level events. But the big bad, Hecate had an identifiable backstory and her plans were understandable. I do wish I had read the first couple issues of JLD to learn about the Upside-down. The stakes were high and seemed to be very impactful on the magic world, effecting Olympus, Nanda Parbat and the Parliament of Trees.

2 Likes

This really is one of my favorite stories in the past 5 years. Everything seemed to flow perfectly, the writing, the art. Just great comic storytelling. I am also a Wonder Woman fan and to see her in a role that is familiar yet very different was a nice touch.

2 Likes

I don’t read a whole lot of WW books but of the couple that I have read this does seem very different. She seems to normally deal with magical beings using magical items but not necessarily coming across as magical herself. She tends to be more of a warrior than someone who creates magic. I’m with you @D4RK5TARZ this is now one of my favorite events of recent history.

1 Like

I am putting out the @slatour0694.79644 signal for their Wonder Woman expertise. I am with you in thinking that she herself isn’t magical too often but maybe we can get a definitive answer from the resident expert?

2 Likes

Thanks! I might not be an expert but I do read a lot of Wonder Woman and some might consider me a little obsessive. :smiley:

I think that there are few characters who are so immersed in the world of magic and yet know so little about it. In her defense, a lot of the magic around her is God magic from the Greek pantheon, which is different than the sort of thing mortal spellcasters use. Even Circe is a God-tier magic-user (side note: she appeared in Golden Age comics but it hasn’t been scanned in DCUI yet so I don’t know how she started out).

So I agree with all the stuff above. She has been surrounded by High Magic and Gods all of her life, but hasn’t interacted all that much with low magic and ground level spellslingers.

Which made the conflicts she faced in this series a lot of fun to read, particularly interpersonal conflicts.

And yes, that bleeding eyes look for her is a good one. :00_wonder_woman_stars:

+1 vote for Wonder Woman/Elvira Team-Up.

3 Likes

If you haven’t read Witching Hour, I strongly suggest it. It is a great Wonder Woman story hidden as a Justice League Dark story. In House of Horror 18 we are rocking out to Witching War which features a JLD cover with bleeding eyes Wonder Woman!!!

Ohhh…It would be sweet to get Elvira back in the DC fold and have her join the JLD for a bit to get a Wonder Woman, Zatanna, and Elvira team-up. Elvira’s super powers would be wisecracks during inappropriate times.

2 Likes

So I brushed through this one last night, having read it a couple of times before, and this is an interesting story. The idea of Diana having this past history of being touched by Hecante had potential and it was cool to see Circe involved as a sort of ally who does end up getting the upper hand in the end.

I also liked that it brought in characters that were in the previous JLD series that hadn’t played a big role yet, like John Constantine, Black Orchid and Deadman, as well as brought in smaller magic-based characters that haven’t been used in a while, like Maniteau Dawn.