His name is Captain Marvel not SHAZAM!

In December 1939, we were introduced to a young Billy Batson who was given great powers by the Wizard Shazam in Whiz Comics #2. By calling out the Wizard’s name he became Captain Marvel. This December will mark his 80th Anniversary. In honor of that and in honor to his creators we MUST return to calling him by his true name. I know some of you will bring up the copyright issue that DC Comics let lapse, but until 2011 he was still referred to by his true name. I know the books and movies cannot be titled Captain Marvel but there is NOTHING stopping us from calling Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family by the correct name. Thank you…

12 Likes

Hear, hear!

4 Likes

I prefer the Big Red Cheese, myself.

“A rose by any other name”, to quote the Bard

1 Like

But shazam sounds cool…

1 Like

I think this name change would have went down better for me if Johns hadn’t put forth the reason for the change as being that it would be less confusing for fans. For all the grief superhero comics get from the mainstream for being perceived as simplistic you can’t say that two simple names makes readers’ heads spin.

4 Likes

I prefer Shazam. Capt Marvel is stupid.

1 Like

What is he Captain of at this point? Calling him that’s just stupid now. Shazam’s kinda corny, but it makes more sense than Captain Marvel in the modern day.

3 Likes

I like Shazam and Captain Marvel. Don’t really have a preference.

And now, this: “His name…is Kal!”

1 Like

I like Shazam better… sounds more like a name for a magic based super hero right? Now add in Truth_of_Pisces comment… Exactly what is he supposed to be the captain of anyway? He’s not leading legions of warriors into battle. Last I checked he didn’t have his own ship. Nope not on the ocean or in outer space… and he isn’t selling rum so that rules out working with Captain Morgan LOL

He got his powers from SHAZAM the Magician and his basic mission is to keep us safe from evil… taking the old wizard’s place. Shazam works for me… unlesswe can have his name changed to Captain Sparkle Fingers… Like in the Movie LOL

2 Likes

Shazam is the name of the sorceror that gave Billy the power(s) to become the Mightiest Mortal.

because of the copyright thing, “super Billy” should have been given a new name. DC seems to like colors. And as his enemy with similar powers is called Black Adam, partly because his name is Teth Adam; when Billy shazams, perhaps he should be called Red Bill or Redbat(son)? I’m just spitballin’ here.

As to the name Captain Marvel, I just don’t see anything military in the costume.

All i know is that at the end of the day, DC was just dumb enough to let renewing the copyright slip and Marvel was just dick enough to claim it.

As Shazam it’s laughable that he is the only superhero who can’t say his own name.

3 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte finally some else voices one BIG problem with the name change. Thank you.

Captain Marvel is the name his creators gave him in 1939 and has worked for most of his 80 years. There is no need or reason to change it nor should we allow it to be.

1 Like

Yes, “Shazam” is where his powers come from, and “Captain Marvel” doesn’t really mean anything.

That’s why he should be called Shazam, so he can team up with Kryptonianguy, Hasmoneyman, Made From Clay Lady, Mister Goesfast, and Shiny Ring Dude.

2 Likes

@manoferos, technically his creators gave him the name Captain Thunder. He was only given the name Captain Marvel due to the fact that another character had the name. I think if we refuse the name Shazam, then Capt. Thunder is the way to go.

He was never called Captain Thunder in print, though. He had seventy years of being Captain Marvel, and was using the “Marvel” name long before anyone else was. As someone who’s working in trademark law right now, I can tell you that it’s not at all uncommon to cycle through several names before finding one that’s not taken. If they’d bothered, DC could easily have sued Marvel for calling themselves Marvel because it certainly creates a likelihood of confusion (which is the standard for trademark infringement).

2 Likes

brie larson as captain marvel sucks.

It’s Captain Marvel, as in “Shazam! is a great movie about Captain Marvel!”

2 Likes

I don’t care if he’s Captain Marvel or Shazam. Honestly, if it means we keep Carol Danvers alive and kicking I’m fine with it. Also, @BwanaBeastguy6667, that’s unnecessary.

I like the Shazam name more, so I’m cool with it

I feel he should be promoted to Major Marvel

2 Likes