High Grade Action Comics #1 Sells For $6 Million At Auction

13 Likes

Did that break its previous record?

7 Likes

Not sure but I think so.

7 Likes

I think it’s incredible that a paper product from 1938 which was marketed to children still exists in good enough quality to be sold.

5 Likes

There were a few savvy minded collectors back then that we should thank for their diligence. :+1:

9 Likes

I just looked it up. According to CNN and other sources, it is a new record.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/05/style/superman-comic-record-6-million-intl-scli/index.html

Oh, to have that kind of money…

9 Likes

Woah!

7 Likes

Here’s^^^ the actual book itself that was auctioned (strange that it was never slabbed :thinking: click on the pic to enlarge). Now, my slabbed copy of Detective Comics #359 is at 8.0 with no fading, very shiny cover, sharp-ish corners, shiny staples, and almost no signs of wear at all. This copy of AC #1 has some wear signs but the staples aren’t rusty, its ink lines are super straight, the color’s still vivid and there’s seems to be no creasing anywhere on the front. I’m guessing that this book would get slabbed somewhere between 7.2 to 7.4

OK- disregard everything I just said cuz it is slabbed, at 8.5 :grin: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smile:

Come to think of it, there are a few very small creases in my TEC #359 but the covers are intact- no chips or chunks missing from the edges. It’s hard to remember exactly what it looks like and I don’t have it up here in NorCal with me either so I’m going on memory.

8 Likes

Not to rain on Big Red’s parade, but I just want to point out that Batgirl’s debut back in 1967 was ALREADY worth a million dollars, thank you very much

9 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :00_batgirl1:

8 Likes

mandrake, dr occult and phantom (had spandex) were earlier than superman. Action 1 also had the start of zatara and tex thompson who later became mr america.

4 Likes

This is the final impetus to build that time machine, grab a roll of dimes, and return to Midtown Manhattan (April 1938) and haunt all those wonderful newsstands.

5 Likes

This is so wild lol. $6 million is a lot of clams

6 Likes

Wouldn’t it be funny if Bruce Wayne bought it? :smile:

6 Likes

For that kind of bread, he probably did! :batman:

4 Likes

:smile:

4 Likes

Issue #1, natch.

I’ve had (have?) reprints. I have a comixology copy, and the copy in the library here… Honestly, I think I’d rather have a near mint copy of the limited collector’s edition than a 1938 comic.

4 Likes

:hushed: Wow, that’s alot! Congratulation to anybody that has a original copy of Superman first appearance comic!

4 Likes

I heard a joke pertaining to this on the radio earlier.

“Recently a comic book featuring the first appearance of Superman sold for six million dollars. Also, a comic book featuring the first appearance of Aquaman was used as a piece of scrap paper to bid on the Suprman comic.”

Rodney Dangerfield GIFs | Tenor

4 Likes

Dang. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Shots fired.

5 Likes