Hero name or civilian name?

when you think about your comics, the stories you’ve read the situations the characters are in, maybe even the games you play (DC Universe online) Do you think about the characters you read in terms of their hero names or their civilian names?

For instance, seeing a Flash comic on the shelf, Do you look at the cover and say “How’s Flash doing these days or do you think, What’s Barry gotten himself into now?” (or Wally, or Jay)

I mean, Just before Nightwing was shot, I looked at the cover of Batman and thought, It’s nice to see Bruce and Dick working together again!

I hardly ever think Flash this or Superman that or Batman the other thing anymore,
When I was a kid I always thought of the characters by their hero names but now, they’re just the titles of the magazines and the Heroes are Bruce Clark, Diana, J’onn, Ted, Tora, Bea, Wally, Rex, Buddy, Kyle, Arthur, etc etc…
(I think the only exception is Booster Gold who I call Booster instead of Michael…

anyone else?

5 Likes

I guess I would consider a mix of the 2. For example Batman, not Bruce Wayne; Dick Grayson, not Nightwing/Robin. Probably the majority by their Hero names, though.

Certainly most of the heroes who have been several individuals would be by name. To continue with the examples above Robin would always be Dick, Todd, Cassandra, etc to differentiate which Robin is in question. But Batman would always just be Batman because of the hard identification to Bruce. That, even though Dick, Azrael, and others have filled the role on occasion.

Interesting question. I’ll have to pay closer attention. :+1:

4 Likes

I usually tend more to the real names, but not always. Batman’s usually Bruce, Robin’s usually Dick, or Jay, or Tim, or Damian, or whoever.

Superman is sometimes Superman, but usually Kal. If I’m talking about Dean Cain, it’s almost always “Clark,” but almost every other version of the character usually only gets “Clark” if he’s in specs and civvies.

Let’s see, I think Wonder Woman is kind of clunky, and I try to use it more, but “Diana” just kind of seems more natural, doesn’t it?

One example of a character I almost never use the super-name for: Scott Free. And one I almost never use the real name for: Cyborg. There’s other examples like that all over the map.

4 Likes

I usually go by civilian names unless its a character like Bruce that thinks of himself as Batman.

Though I also do call characters from Team books like Titans, doom patrol, outsiders etc. by their hero names as well.

2 Likes

Depends on what I’m thinking or talking about. If it’s, say, a fight with Doomsday, I’ll probably be using “Superman”. If it’s a moment with Lois, probably “Clark”.

4 Likes

Depends a lot on the situation. Or what the person they may have been interacting with called them. With typing it’s usually the shorter one (or what’s in my suggested when typing).

2 Likes

For me personally I tend to think of their name if someone else has held the same role (for a significant amount of time), like Robin or GL, but for hero’s like Batman or Superman I usually just think of their hero name.

4 Likes

Not quite what the topic is about but does anyone else think it’s weird how Artemis in YJ just goes by Artemis :joy: Is she the only hero to just use her real name as her what does dick call it nom de plume?

2 Likes

I’ve always thought that was weird… and not particularly helpful in hiding one’s identity. A similarly dumb choice would be to go by, let’s say, your last name (cough Drake cough). I’d think that, when choosing to “hide” your identity, you should start by not use your actual name… but perhaps she’s going for the reverse psychology route :joy:

3 Likes

The Advantage to Artemis is that because she was an archer, any civilians in earshot would have thought that was just her code name based on the Greek Goddess of myth and not necessarily anything remotely related to her real name.

2 Likes

I still really hate that detail. Somebody is going to figure it out.

3 Likes

Remember when Bendis was trying to push Drake as a codename for Tim Drake. What a silly man!

All the time.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I almost exclusively refer to characters by their civilian name. I typically only use the hero name if I don’t know their actual name.

1 Like

Pretty much always the hero name, their not my friends and Batman and Dr. Fate are more fun to type then Bruce and Kent.

3 Likes

I use their hero name unless they are more known by their name, like Donna Troy. Otherwise it is Batman or Supes. I would never say Bruce or Clark. I have to admit though I thought this was going to be one of those threads where someone posted a characters name and we had to guess if it was a hero or side civilian character :laughing:

1 Like

I use who they really are. This results in me saying things like “Batman and Dick,” “Clark and Supergirl,” and “Green Lantern and Barry.”

2 Likes

I tend to think of them as their civilian names, but that’s largely a personal preference. It just seems weirder to always be typing out “Wonder Woman” rather than just “Diana”.

1 Like

I agree with this tendency, for the most part. I think of Clark, or Wally, or Diana and Zatanna. OTOH, there some people I refer to in other wise - Batgod is always batgod or something along those lines and unless I want to mention and make a specific point, I might say Flash/the Flash or Robin, versus specifying a specific version. This is also true for a large corp or team, like Teen Titans or Green Lanterns, whereas I would want to specific Guy, or Kilowog, etc.

I will also, depending on context, say Batsy or Bats or Supes, but it’s meant and used in a very familiar way. I do appreciate the people who say they aren’t friends and these are fictional characters, but I’d apply the same thing if we were talking about the MCU - I’d say Steve, or Peter for the ones I feel familiar about.

It’s been forever since I’ve seen S1 and I dropped that series past that although I may go back one day - but I recall her being "Arrowette, no?

2 Likes

She was never Arrowette.

2 Likes