HELP SUPPORT DEFINITIVE BATMAN SERIES

For everyone who grew up on Batman: The Animated Series, for those who’ve read the comics and graphic novels, and for all those wondering what the F$&! is going on with the Live-Action DC Universe… please read…

My name is Pops, but I don’t want that to be the focus. My name means nothing. I am simply a Batman fan. I want this to be a FAN effort. I do not want the focus on me, but on the work. I have for some time now have had a pilot script, series bible, treatment and pitch. I won’t bad mouth others, but twice now over the years I have had a couple agents show interest and lost interest for one of two reasons. They wanted to change the things that make Batman BATMAN, or they wanted to sell to a network for MORE money but wouldn’t be able to stay true to the essence of Batman and his world. I have been preparing and planning this for half of my life. I will NOT give in now for the sake of money. I have been doing this BECAUSE of the destruction of character, and interference of studios, which is why us die hard fans aren’t even recognizing these beloved characters “interpretations” on screen. Only true fans will understand what I mean when I say this… the era of BOB KANE’s Batman is over! We need to usher in BILL FINGER’s vision. The true creator. Not for the fame and money, but for the character and story.
We the fans can get the series we deserve. Only a couple of networks can do Batman properly. We need to build the HYPE to the point that we GET the attention of these networks and simply make it bad business for them to refuse our voice. Word of mouth will win this battle!
My goal has been simple…to get in the room to pitch the series as it should be. Now I know these are just words… which doesn’t amount to anything if they can’t be backed up. All of my work is copywritten with the WGA (so no one can steal the work). I have encountered setback after setback taking the “traditional” route. I know as fans we can get this done untraditionally. As Batman would’ve. Now I’m not claiming to be Batman, but I do need an Alfred (the fans). And from there we need a Gordon (the network). Remember, Alfred helped the functions of the Batman. But Gordon gave the domain in which to work. Once I see a following building I would happily send copies of the pilot script so the fans themselves can be the judge, jury, and executioner of this plan. Think of a Batman series where the art department has open submissions. Meaning you could send in character, vehicle, location designs, and be given credit if that design is chosen for the forthcoming season.
A definitive Batman narrative on television would be the deepest examination of the human condition. Staying true to character and mythology. Not coasting on popularity.
Do this for the fans and for Bill Finger… tell your friends about me

3 Likes

Is there a synopsis of your pitch you can share? Maybe a bird’s eye view of what your ideas for the world are? What are the stories that inspire you most?

2 Likes

Just because you were first to respond I will copy and paste one of the first paragraphs of the pitch. Like I said before, everything is copywritten so I don’t mind posting it…

“Will Brooker/Batman Historian said “the defining characteristic of Gotham City must be… “there is always CRIME’’. Batman at his most fundamental is a crimefighter. There must be crime in Gotham because this emphasizes the recurring nature of the two, as one is constantly instigating and perpetuating the other. It was Gotham that killed Bruce’s parents in the form of a petty thief that it’s corrupt conditions created, a catalyst that led to the Batman’s obsessive mission to eradicate crime from Gotham, AN OBSESSION that breeded a more perverse and twisted criminality. From a distance Gotham is immense but suffocating, unrestricted but demanding. It should be distinguished and genuine but realistic to reflect other urban cities. The constant being the irrepressible criminal underclass that the police either consciously condoned, or couldn’t condemn.”

3 Likes

To answer the second question I don’t want to go deep into Batman’s career. So focusing on the first season, which would focus solely on the Hero’s Journey, the arcs would be… The Man Who Falls, Shaman, Year One, Catwoman Year One and Her Sister’s Keeper, Venom, Prey

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure 20th Century Fox owns all television rights to the character of Batman. Now that Disney is buying Fox, who knows what will happen? Pretty sure that Fox or one of their subsidiaries like FX, would be the only networks you could currently pitch your series to. Maybe you could send it to one of the mods here?

1 Like

I like where your head’s at.

I’m a big fan of Legends of the Dark Knight, so I like that list.

1 Like

If I am not mistaken WB owns Batman. And there’s one television network where they have WB under license.
Legends Of The Dark Knight is a great example because those were focused on Batman’s formative years. Storylines like Batman Venom not a lot of people know about. Batman addicted to drugs. That’s all people hear before they wanna know more. Prey is a great precursor for future seasons because Batman’s name being tarnished is a common theme throughout his career. Think of him clearing his name just for Dr. Langston to release the Man-Bat formula. Further tuning Batman’s reputation.

I LOVE THE FEEDBACK GUYS. PLEASE KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS AND KEEP IT GOING. SPREAD THE WORD. ID LOVE TO HEAR YOUR GUYS OPINION ABOUT THE PILOT SCRIPT

1 Like

Bro I’m with you. Legends of dark knight is epic!!! And I support your idea

1 Like

Are you thinking live action or animated? I also think that Batman should only kill in a stand-alone event every 30 years. That’s what made dark knight returns special. Now days, every Batman is changed so much!

1 Like

Dude shaman was amazing.

1 Like

Thanks for replying redhood. And DEFINITELY live action. Just think Batman The Animated Series brought to life. And Batman not killing was ALWAYS a big part of Batman. That’s why in that first Batman Beyond episode when Bruce was having a heart attack and grabbed a gun as a last resort it was so impactful. It shaped his decision to give up the mantle. Because he felt “if I’m resorting to the cowards weapon, I’m not worthy”. Shaman would be the 3rd episode of the first season. It would be the Shaman/Man Who Falls arc

1 Like

Would you consider a Batman Beyond show afterwards? How about a Redhood and Arsenal show?

1 Like

HA! I like how far ahead your thinking redhood. Let me put it like this, there are stories we consider CANON, apart of the mythology right? Chronologizing Batman’s arcs that are considered canon can have around 8-10 seasons of RICH storytelling, from beginnings to beyond… now to your point. I feel the last season should be Batman Beyond. McGinnis taking over and Bruce aging his way out, becoming the Alfred for Terry in a way. Now if a Batman Beyond show gets picked up after to continue then by all means!! But the final season should be Terry’s arc to fully accepting the weight and burden of the Batman, while Bruce has to do what separates him from the gods and titans… be human and die. This series will be focused on Bruce’s Batman. Full narrative arc.

2 Likes

Bruce wayne should NEVER be killed off. Even if you go into batman beyond territory, there’s is absolutely no need to kill him off just to have terry be batman. Bruce was never killed off in the original beyond series. That’s the way i personally feel like all efforts should go.

2 Likes

NOT killed off. Just shown aged deeply. That death is for sure coming.

1 Like

I like the idea and I’m surprised that you have a copyright considering how protective DC can be. Hope this comes to fruition and I’d be the first one to watch and submit stories (if there were to be a writers room, that is). Good luck!!!

1 Like

Copyright with the WGA isn’t the same as DC’s permission. The pitch would obviously be given permission if greenlit, or that would at least be made priority.

1 Like