Help for research topic

I have to write a college argumentative research paper about monsters. Monster is used really loose here so I wanted to write mine about Batman but can’t come up with a thesis and and possible ideas would be super appreciated.

3 Likes

@eightzerotwo, that sounds amazing! What is your argument? Is there a loose framework for the assignment?

Batman is a great choice because his rogues gallery of villains are so monstrous but ultimately are all rooted in humanity.

1 Like

Thats cool, I wrote dc related papers in the past.

1 Like

Don’t you need scholarly sources for this? And a college paper on batman? O_O what college do you go to cuz I wanna go!! Lol

2 Likes

I teach college courses. The use of Super-Heroes & Other Pop Culture is used more than you think. :woman_superhero: Henderson University is home to Dr. Travis Langley, he teaches & wrote a junior level psychology course textbook. :bat: Batman & Psychology. A dark & stormy knight :bat: Dr. Andrea Letamendi (consulted on Oracle, back in the day) & has a podcast or two, :woman_superhero: Arkham Sessions for example) & doing awesome comic book stuff at UCLA. Then there is Carol at :woman_technologist: U of I- UC & the #comics study society! :star_struck: Holla! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: There are documentaries galore with even more professors in them. Every day there are more & more academics & students utilizing the profound life lessons contained on the pages & screens of [swoon] comic books! :books: Trust Me- It is a feat of Superman sized dedication, utter willpower of a Green Lantern & the Truth of Wonder Woman’s Lasso to figure out how to cite an image in a single issue or a specific panel properly. I constantly fret I might not get it right. :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Usually the College will have a library online where you can look up academic research papers and cite them.

3 Likes

Really?!! Wow… I did not know this.

1 Like

Are you trying to write about Batman as a monster cause if so can probably get far by using in-universe citizen and news accounts?

2 Likes

One way of looking at Batman is that he is sociopathic. He knows what he is doing is against the law and he doesn’t care. Societies laws do not affect him. Even though he is actively trying to help people, where as the Joker is actively trying to harm. They still come from the same place. “I don’t care what the law/society say, I’m gonna do what I’m gonna do.” Every argument you can make for the joker as a monster you can apply to Batman. Opposite sides…same coin. (My apologies to Harvey Dent)

1 Like

They say that each of Batman’s villains (joker, two face, riddler, penguin) are parts of Batman’s psyche/personality. What if this Batman persona is a result of shocked 8 year old boy who just lost his parents?. What if this Batman we know about is the imagination of a young Bruce Wayne still in arkham?

1 Like

For scholarly articles, you can visit www. deepdyve.com. you’ll need to subscribe to the free trial to have access to the full documents

2 Likes

How about SwampThing? He is all the rage right now & there are lots of stuff to pull from for a ‘monster’ angle…

2 Likes

Also look at owlman as the monster version of bats. An amoral Batman. Owl man’s plan to destroy the multiverse as seen in JL Crisis on two earths” film

3 Likes

So, what’d ya write about?.. :seedling:

2 Likes

You’ve likely already had to write the paper, but Batman and gothic monstrosity would be an interesting topic. The Snyder run from the New 52 would be one place to explore, as would Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth (or just go super literal and pull from the Elseworlds stories)

1 Like