Hawkman-whos up for a headache

So to pass time on a rainy weekend and in between my fave football teams losing, ive been reading chunks of past HAWKMAN series. What a mess. While entertaining on their own, each one has added another layer of “wha?..” to the next, current series included. So as a CHALLENGE for any who DARE, walk with me, read a couple arcs outta each run, lets get loose

2 Likes

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION ALERT:
There has only ever been one good solo Hawkman series, and it wasn’t even called Hawkman.

Change my mind.

Are you recallin the HAWKGIRL book walt and chaykin did?

I was thinking of Hawkworld. I haven’t read Hawkgirl, but I’d imagine that the combined power of Simonson and Chaykin would make for a pretty awesome comic. Is it any good?

1 Like

That would be my slim margin favorite becase there’s no hawkman, and that means no writer to screw the poor guy into the ground even further

1 Like

Oh, and all of this is Lansdale’s fault…heh heh

Hawkman doesn’t work because literally every writer who comes along is just trying to clean up the mess the last one made. The only comic I’ve read that doesn’t try to do that is Hawkworld, so it’s the only one I consider good.

Pittsburgh just lost, Im gonna go read liefelds hawkman and chug some paint thinner…

5 Likes

Have fun with that!

I can’t even imagine what that comic would be like, but I’d recommend having some eye bleach on hand at all times in case of emergency.

1 Like

The current Hawkman.series with the date of 2018. It resolves all the problems by stating Hawkman reincarnates through Space and Time

1961 The Brave and Bold Hawkman by Fox and Kubert issues 34 36 42 43 44

2002 Geoff Johns Hawkman

4 Likes

The current Hawkman series is very good. Robert Venditti is doing yeoman’s work attempting to reconcile the character’s convoluted canon.

3 Likes

Just read the first issue of 2018 again.

A great start.

1 Like

I also loved Hawkman’s depiction in John’s JSA

5 Likes

I’ve always liked Hawkman’s wonky canon. There’s a part of me that would love to see that type of liberty taken with a few other B-list heroes. Martian Manhunter and Huntress immediately pop to mind.

Look at MM, is he the last Martian, is he the last green Martian, is there still a small group of green martians resistance still fighting the white Martians. And that’s just for starters.

(And worth noting I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to canon, but I like having a few that are just chaotic.)

3 Likes

I love all things Hawkman. I think he is awesome. Sometimes his books can be a bit confusing. But I enjoy them a lot, especially this new run he has.

2 Likes

Hawkworld is truly an awesome title.

1 Like

Its funny, one minute hes the last martian and then he gets a mini or a series and BOOM out pop a gaggle of martians.

2 Likes

As good of a story as it is, Hawkworld is what put Hawkman’s continuity into chaos. Hawkworld came out a few years after Crisis On Infinite Earths. Meanwhile, the silver age Thanagarian Hawkman continued pretty much unchanged during those years.

Crisis set up Wonder Woman’s reboot with little of a gap afterward. Jason Todd’s origin was retconned from a Dick Grayson copy to an orphaned street kid through flashback stories. Katar Hol, meanwhile, got a hard reboot without a Crisis to necessitate it, and it wasn’t a retcon set in the past but happened with the rest of the DC continuity at the time.

If it had been set in the past, before Katar and Shayera came to Earth and joined the JLA, things might have been less confused.

3 Likes