Harley's Crew Book Club, Weeks 3 & 4: Harley Quinn Solo Series (Issues 1-4)

Nice! :+1:t2:

1 Like

YES!

…and I can promise you that there are a whole lot of VERY frightened men out there!

2 Likes

Shouldn’t be frightened. Just have to be respectful and treat everyone as a human.

3 Likes

Finished this one up today, and there’s stuff I like well enough, but was probably the weakest of the books of this week. For me, Harley sounded…fairly right. In fact, some of her actions here kind of reminded me of her in her own animated series. I enjoyed her interactions with Two-Face as well as her Quinntets.

On the cheesecake…for me personally, I’m not against it as long as the story makes sense with it, not to mention being equal opportunity with a book’s sexiness. Plus I feel like a certain amount of cheesecake/sexiness is kind of part of the character’s DNA, a bit inherent in her character. Maybe it’s me seeing just how Bruce Timm sketches her a lot of the time. I will say that I think it’s handled a lot better in other books, like Palmiotti/Conner’s run on the character.

With that in mind, I’m going to be curious to see how you this conversation comes up in Heroes in Crisis, considering how some of the big complaints about that book was how cheesecake kind of leaked into what is otherwise a super-serious story.

2 Likes

Harley jumped out of the cake she baked for Mr. J and made me forget all about Marilyn somebody or other in the episode with The Creeper in Batman:TAS.
It will always be cake for this member of Harley’s Crew.

3 Likes

Yeah, that was a moment I’m surprised got around the censors at the time. :laughing:

Oh, and mentioning Bruce Timm made me look up some of his Harley sketches again to make sure I was accurate, I found this one that was just cute that I think you guys will like. :smiley:

4 Likes

@Jay_Kay A friend of mine knew exactly which scene, the aforementioned above one of Harley Quinn covered in pudding to entice me into watching Batman:TAS and explore Harley’s origins as an animated character.
I am fully comfortable stating how arousing that scene is and how the people who program Saturday morning cartoons don’t watch any of their shows.

2 Likes

Yeah. That.

(…and it’s settled. Joker likes dudes.)

2 Likes

That’s exactly what my response to Joker’s reaction was. Actually, my first thought was “What the hell is wrong with you?” and then i remembered it was The Joker so I reasoned that Harley was merely a front for his repressed feelings about Batman.

2 Likes

Yes! I agree! :green_heart: When I first saw Ivy on the Harley Quinn show, I thought, “Whoa… I love this version of Ivy! Sooo attractive! :heart_eyes:

Also… Even though I chose cake, I really want cherry pie with vanilla ice cream right now. :weary::ice_cream::pie:

3 Likes
2 Likes

With the context of the episode in mind, I think the big reason was that an egotistical narcessist like Joker couldn’t rest or find any ounce of peace knowing that someone (in this case, the Creeper) was “stealing his act.” It leaves him impotent, which makes him angry, which makes him violent.

That said, in Joker’s mind he considers Harley more of a plaything, a monument to his manipulative genius than someone he loves. In this state, he’s really not capable of anything that comes close to real, genuine love.

3 Likes

@Remember5NovEveyHammond
And now I’m thinking of that scene from Bring It On… :laughing:

3 Likes

You are welcome, Performing the comedy pratfall the male cheerleader did when he went a-o-t backwards in the gym is optional as stretching should always be done as a warm-up and maybe Harley or Ivy aren’t around to stretch you out what with crashing the religious coming of age ceremonies of Penguin’s son.

3 Likes

I’m popping in last minute before moving into the next issues, don’t mind me… :kissing: ~:musical_note:

While I’m mostly loving the artwork, I have to agree with this! Sometimes certain panels/poses just make me roll my eyes while other times I’m simply just: :star_struck: cue me inserting some panels I really liked here:

So far, for this series, I’m just having some fun while reading it since this is my first read through and while it’s not the greatest story of Harley’s, nor do I think it’ll be a favorite of mine, I honestly think it’s enjoyable so far! (and I love anything Harley so… what’s a gal to do? :woman_shrugging:)

Also I love watching her become her own person and I like how this series showed that with her kind of going up against the Joker in the beginning!

6 Likes

YES!!! THIS!!!
This is exactly why I want to include her solo series in our reading!!!
Suicide Squad is all about the action, and stuff is about to get SUPER real in Heroes In Crisis but Harley’s solo series is just good plain silly FUN!

4 Likes

I prefer pie over cake and cheesecake over both :grin:

5 Likes

YES, I’m looking forward to continuing the story (and all of the series we’re reading right now, obvi :eyes:)! :harley_delicioushqtas:

6 Likes