Harley’s Crew 💻 WATCH-ALONG! 💥 DC FANDOME 💥 THE SUICIDE SQUAD & ASK HARLEY QUINN 💥 SATURDAY 8/22

I would love to see that. I didn’t like Suicide Squad’s portrayal of the Joker because I prefer the classic approach to that character but I felt there were some abusive scenes missing or something weird about their relationship that felt “idealized” in a way. Then I learned they had actually filmed more abusive scenes and cut them out to give the movie a different “tone” :face_with_raised_eyebrow: If children could handle an abusive clown relationship (watching BTAS as a kid) then why am I not expected to handle it as an adult?

8 Likes

@Mae thats the impression im getting. I just hope we dont have to wait for ZS JL to come out before we get an announcement. But with a bunch of productions being put on hold it makes sense financially to just release a new version of the film.

4 Likes

Well then. I have a song 4 u. :grinning:

4 Likes

i’m looking forward to what will hopefully be a day without boredom!!

5 Likes

@Razzzcat and @Devi, I really enjoyed what Ayer did with Fury… I also enjoyed the released cut of Suicide Squad… But I feel like it could have been a much better movie if they just let Ayer do what he wanted in the first place. I was most impressed by Margot Robbie’s Harley, though. It was like watching the character I grew up with in Batman brought to life. …Wanna read a reaaaaallllly long blog post I wrote before going to see the movie?

@Mae, FanDome dance party?

And I won’t miss a thing, @NCharles39. I won’t…

6 Likes

Always!

5 Likes

The reason that we were told was because those scenes made it feel like a “Harley and Joker” movie, and not a Suicide Squad movie, and I think they knew that people would complain about it (because of course they would). Then there were rumors that Margot would get her own spin off that was supposed to have Joker (possible break up), then it was changed to Gotham City Sirens, then it actually became BoP. Margot and Jared claimed that they were surprised when they saw the final version and Jared was actually angry about the changes without their consent first. I mean, I suppose if I had to go through that amount of time and energy into filming like he did (regardless of what people think of his version) I would be upset too, all that hard work and only reduced to less than 10 scenes.

6 Likes

Im going to send this out to @iJest & @TheCosmicMoth Hello! :wave: and @Devi if you’re around…

I know it may be an unpopular opinion, but I warmed to Leto’s Joker. They allegedly cut the poor guys performance to shreds, so we don’t have a full representation. I, for one, am curious to see it in its entirety. I also think it was a bold move to give him a bit of sex appeal, but then again, I don’t mind a few twists and turns on a character. Like Harls, I’m usually willing to pull the thread and watch things unravel. :wink: Hopefully it’s a better mix of old and new than we were originally given.

8 Likes

Did someone say :eyes: DANCE PARTY!! :dancer:t2:

6 Likes

@TheCosmicMoth Absolutely. But it seems like WB is trying to rectify things by giving us the Snyder cut, following thru with the flash film and the incredible news of bringing back Affleck and Keaton. The fandom event gives me high hopes for the future of DC films. I just hope this community continues to grow so more people can discover it just like I did. I remember calling comic book shops and asking all kinds of origin questions. So having this app at my finger tips with so much information takes me back to being a kid again. Ill definitely check out the blog.

4 Likes

Yeah I remember at the time there was going to be a HQ&J movie before everyone hated Leto’s performance as the Joker, lol. But I agree regarding having the Joker showing up in Suicide Squad, I wasn’t expecting him to be in a lot of the movie. He’s not in the squad, and there were other characters to focus on. I did disagree with how they chose to portray him for the parts that he was in. But I understand the style fits into the overall modern type of style they went for with the whole movie. It’s just not my preference. He also didn’t use any funny weapons or make jokes, but that’s just me complaining. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

@Razz felt the same way. It was strange seeing a gangster joker at first but when you put it into context that this a whole new character developed for this universe, he seems fitting. Personally, one of my favorite scenes from Suicide Squad is when Joker rescues Harley and he’s wearing the swat uniform. That and the ace chemical plant really stand out for me. I hope they bring the film back and include the intended story line. Lets keep our little digits crossed!

5 Likes

Cheers to that!! :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

There were a few moments I liked, personally, but overall it’s still a no from me. I did like one of the cut scenes that was in the extended version, though. The one where they’re arguing on the street and they shoot the truck driver. Lol my favorite scene in that movie wasn’t even in the movie. I really enjoyed Harley’s portrayal though. As a childhood fan of B:TAS I had been waiting for a live-action movie with Joker and Harley in it together, for maaaaany yeaaars.

6 Likes

I too felt like we didn’t really get a good opportunity to see the potential in his version. I think his version looks good with the version of Harley that was being portrayed (no this is not me shipping them together, but in terms of how they were in the movie, I think they looked good on an aesthetic level). I don’t think we were given a whole lot of time to see how Leto would have played out, and you have to admit, he had some pretty big shoes to fill after Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson, and he didn’t get that chance to do that.

4 Likes

@Razzzcat, I REALLY liked that version of The Joker, too. I interpreted it as: The Joker as a pop culture figure. In a world of superheroes and villains, people would latch onto them like pop/rock stars. I saw Leto’s Joker as a pop star whose medium was murder. It was an original take on the character and I liked it.

@Devi, I was embarrassingly excited for the DCEU films when they started coming out. That’s when I started to do blog posts introducing the characters. … Embarrassingly excited. My spirit took a big hit after watching Batman V Superman, but I tried to keep the faith. Hopefully… they make good on their promises…

I’m glad DCU is here. Great comics. Great TV. Amazing community.

5 Likes
  1. I also love that scene!
  2. I’ve wanted a good portrayal of…let’s say Harley’s origin since I was a kid too. It :100: requires a great Joker to do it (helps us understand Harls/Ivy​:wilted_flower: more too, imo), but I have hope that maaaybe a fuller cut could make us all happy. ??maybe?? I’m trying to be optimistic here—help me out! :joy: Allegedly Margot Robbie is working on one w/ her production company. So if this new cut doesn’t do it who knows :eyes:

And @TheCosmicMoth totally! :clinking_glasses: They went is such a strong direction—you gotta respect it! Ps “murder artist” :trophy: lol I dig it.
@TheWifeOfJasonTodd exactly. Poor guy was fighting an uphill battle and then they chopped his performance.

6 Likes

@iJest True

I was initially upset we didnt get the traditional costume when I first saw the trailer, but when I saw they included the Alex Ross homage I was satisfied. I had this image as my wallpaper for years as a kid.

6 Likes

I will say you guys are making me want to re-watch Suicide Squad :joy_cat: I hope if we get the new cut it works for everyone @Razzzcat Margot is doing amazing things for Harley right now. We’re lucky to have her.

@Devi ahhh I was so happy to see that shot too xD It was a cute nod to the original. I used to have that image on a shirt that I wore until it was very old.

5 Likes

Slight confession here, when BvS first came out, I was just getting into Batman/DC, and at that point, I hadn’t read any comics yet (I wanted to know who characters were in the movies before I read anything so I could get at least a little background character first), so when a lot of people said that BvS and SS were bad, I thought otherwise because that was all I knew at the time, I didn’t have years worth of other versions to compare them to (aside from the past movies that were ALL different from each other) Now that I’ve been reading for a few years now, I still don’t hate the movies, I just accept them with open arms, because I still feel those feelings I had when I saw these characters for the first time. Also, it’s just a movie, and I like some creative change :sunglasses: gatekeepers don’t interact.

5 Likes