Happy International Women's Day 2024

March 8th marks the annual day dedicated to celebrating women worldwide! And March in general is meant to be International Women’s History Month, so I might as well acknowledge both simultaneously. When it comes to comics, the influence of female writers and fictional characters has grown stronger in recent years and I’m happy to see that.

I’ve always thought DC had a deep, rich roster of interesting and bada55 women! But let’s not sell short those who work hard to bring all of DC’s characters to life. From superstars like Gail Simone who wrote awesome tales for Wonder Woman and the Birds of Prey, to the under-rated writers like Rachel Pollack’s run on Doom Patrol or Nancy Collins’s run on Swamp Thing. Even today, female writers are killing it! Josie Campbell penned Mary Marvel’s mini-series before she brought her over to the Amazons Attack book and is currently working on the show “My Adventures with Superman”. Joelle Jones created the character Yara Flor and wrote her short-lived Wonder Girl book. And my current favorite, the ongoing Poison Ivy book brought to all of us by the amazing G. Willow Wilson!

Here are some questions I would like to ask the community, feel free to answer as many as you like:
-What are some of your favorite stories written by women?
-What are a few of your favorite female DC characters?
-Are there any female characters right now you are glad are getting more attention?
-Which female characters do you hope get more attention moving forward?

20 Likes

I also love Gail Simone’s Wonder Woman.

Never forget Joye Hummel ghost-writing Golden Age Wonder Woman.

Jodi Picoult’s run was great as well.

Wonder Woman (was there any doubt? :grin:)

I also love Birds of Prey in all of their iterations.

Amazons! I am really enjoying this second round of Amazons Attack. I am getting to know Mary Marvel better.

I want a monthly Amazon title, a Queen Nubia title, Wonder Girls with Yara Flor, Donna Troy and Cassie, Wonder Woman main title and then a Batman-level of WW mini-series.

Also a Wonder Tot series while we’re at it. :rofl:

9 Likes

Your love of the Amazons astounds even me. Wanna go to the head office of DC and yell at them with megaphones?

8 Likes
  • Gail Simmone/Secret Six and Cecil Castellucci/Shade The Changing Girl

• Helena Wayne, Cassandra Cain, Powergirl, Stargirl, Vixen, Gypsy, old Maxima, Shade the changing girl, Rita Farr, Linda Park, Fairchild, and Black Canary.

• Batman’s daughters: Cassandra Cain and Helena Wayne.

• Enchantress. DCs most underlooked magical character. She has potential to be the most powerful sorceress and if not that then perhaps use her to explore darker magical stories and make from villain to proper anti-hero.

10 Likes

Gail Simone’s Wonder Woman and Rachel Pollack’s Doom Patrol stand out for me. As to my favorite female characters, Zatanna, Batgirl (Barbara Gordon), Rita Farr, and Crazy Jane.

EDIT: Somehow I forgot Jessica Cruz! :00_lc_green_lantern:

8 Likes

Happy women’s day ladies!

9 Likes

favorite story so far written by a woman is the current birds of prey
favorite female characters are cassandra cain , miss martian , cassandra sandsmark , greta hayes , anita fite , supergirl , oracle and a whole lot more
im glad cass is getting a little more attention
and i hope that greta/secret gets more attention

10 Likes

This just got announced

13 Likes

OH MY GOD YES!!! This’ll be awesome!

9 Likes

WOW! Big news for our local Zatanna lovers! :eyes: :magic_wand:

9 Likes

G. Willow Wilson, she’s doing amazing things with Ivy. Plus Catwoman One Bad Day was my fav of the One Bad Day one shots. Not a writer, but shots out to artist Amanda Conner for her portrayals of some of the best DC women. Kelly Thompson for her current BOP. Tini Howard with the current Catwoman run. Alyssa Wong with Spirit world and Deadpool. Amy Chu, cycle of life and death. Rachel Allen, the HQ Icon series. Kody Keplinger with P.I. Thorns. Louise Simonson for current Jean Grey fall of x, but looks she’s had a role of 90s Superman as well. Joelle Jones creator of Yara Flor.

I’m sure everyone can guess my fav DC ladies.

Vixen, Yara Flor, and Nubia go in that list.

I would love if Karen aka BumbleBee made it to the comics in a BOP series. I need more Zealot! Enchantress, Zatanna, Talia, Lady Shiva, and Ladytron need more stories.

9 Likes

Ah yes, your favorite ladies…Wonder Woman and Lois Lane

Wait no CRAP! I did it again!

8 Likes

WW and Lois are amazing too

7 Likes

poison-ivy-hell-yeah

7 Likes

I’m probably gonna stick with Mary Marvel on this one. I know I mentioned it earlier, but I loved her in New Champion of Shazam, and I’d love to have more of that expanded upon — focus on her and not just the family as a whole, or specifically her role picking up the pieces after Billy left.

8 Likes

As much as I like Billy Batson, I would be down for a huge shift in status quo and push Billy into more of the Wizard’s role and Mary as the champion. They did something vaguely similar in the 2000s before Flashpoint

8 Likes

Yay!

8 Likes

Sharing for international women’s day

I’m also waiting for @dc89 to grace us with her lists

9 Likes

Can’t wait !

8 Likes

YEAH! Can’t wait

Happy Women’s Day, ladies

13 Likes