Hans Zimmer’s Man of Steel Score

I may be a little biased…Supes has been and always will be my fave…but I was revisiting the score to Man of Steel the other day and thought, “This very well may be the best DC score ever…”

There will always be an epicness and soft spot in my heart for the ‘78 John Williams Superman theme, and the thunderous roll of Elfman’s ‘89 Batman theme always takes me back to being a kid, imagining racing in the batmobile…but Zimmer just hits so many emotions with his MoS score that makes the whole soundtrack (opposed to one or two standout pieces) a beautiful work of art in my opinion.

Through music he manages to capture a feel for “space” and alien origins, the softer side of the boy from Kansas and the triumphant power of the Man of Steel. There’s just a wonderful range of emotions I feel listening to that score from start to finish.

Like I said, perhaps a little biased here but…truly masterful composing in my opinion. Thoughts? Anyone else feel the same way?

Cheers, fellow DC fans!

6 Likes

The “dun-duh-duh-dun-dun” of the Williams score is playing in my head 24/7, so that’s my vote for best DC OST.

2 Likes

I listen to the Man of Steel score at work to help me focus, in fact I listened to it today at work. It’s wonderful. I listen to it more than any other score.

1 Like

Nothing will ever beat John Williams’ Superman for me, but the Man of Steel score is great in its own right. Especially my favorite piece, Flight.

4 Likes

It is quite good, yes.

2 Likes

MOS in my opinion is the best live action dc movie of all time. It’s so well rounded and one of the most comic book accurate movies ever hands down.

6 Likes

I listened to the Man of Steel score when I was studying for the GRE. I then listened to the Wonder Woman theme song before my exam to get hyped.

1 Like

To me the John Willams theme is timeless classic that may just be the most beautiful piece of instrumental music ever written. Hyperbole, I know, but I like it that much. The Hans Zimmer theme is amazing and the original post hit all the right notes about the range of emotions it stirs. The more I listen to it, the more I like it, which is pretty much how I feel about Man of Steel. Now how about the best of both worlds? Take a listen to this mishmash of the two:
https://youtu.be/dtT_97px8sQ

2 Likes

@moro That’s a neat mash-up. I checked out some of that guy’s other work and it’s pretty sweet, especially his take on the Zimmer WW theme.

3 Likes

Zimmer/Man of Steel > Williams/Superman The Movie

Totally agree on how great the Man Of Steel score is, easily my favourite film score of recent years. But the John Williams Superman theme is undefeated 40 years later. You cannot hear those notes and not smile.

I love this score. I remember hearing part of it in the third trailer for the movie and falling in love with it. When the movie came out, I bought the score and couldn’t get it out of my head for days. I love “Launch” Flight" and “What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World?”

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Zimmer is probably my favorite composer ever, and as much as I respect the original Superman theme, Man of Steel’s is just too epic to be called anything but the best.

1 Like