Green Lantern Legacy and Other Books for Young Readers

I am thoroughly attracted to the DC novellas geared toward the younger audience. The art, the stories, and childhood charms is irresistible. I totally love Batman Tales with Dustin Nguyen and I just finished Green Lantern Legacy with Minh Lê. I point them out because the Vietnamese representation is touching. I’m a writer and always struggled to mix my cultures and I’m so glad to see us represented. It gives me such great pride of what my family went through. Totally got me in tears in the last pages.

How are the other books of this style? Do you guys like any in particular?

3 Likes

Do you mean comics representing our specific culture? I mean I love Blue beetle and my family is from Mexico, so seeing a mexican-american superhero is nice, my personal favorite issues was one that was in spanish and he brought over his girlfriend to meet his family and she couldn’t understand what everyone was saying. I also like how traci 13 is Chinese-british and BB is Mexican-american, usually when there is an interracial couple one of them is usually white.

That’s what I like about superman, he’s a Representation for immigrants living in the US and that he wants to be as American as anyone else, actually he is an American. I love that he wasn’t born in the US and he’s the most well known American superhero.

3 Likes

Yeah! I like the diversity and representation. I’ll have to read these other stories you mention!

3 Likes

Me two,I almost never saw a latino character growing up so seeing blue beetle is nice, I’m talking specifically talking about Blue beetle 2007 and Superman: American alien

2 Likes

Does DC have any Vietnamese superheroes or super-villains?

Cheshire

3 Likes

Thats the only I can think off

1 Like

I hope Minh Le expands on his story of Tai Pham. I can see earlier stories and origin expansion on Kim Tran, the Grandmother, as a Green Lantern in Vietnam or even how she trained many others. Not gonna lie, I totally felt like expanding a story through fan fic and I have never had the urge to do that before.

2 Likes