Gosh Golly Gee I Sure Do Love Grant Morrison's Writing

It helped that Morrison and Waid had worked together extensively beforehand. Waid was the editor on Morrison’s Doom Patrol run.

3 Likes

Not too mention they were both writing JLA for a few years.

4 Likes

Big feud.

3 Likes

They had their issues…

Morrison contends that more is made of it than what was actually there. Everyone thinks that anytime Grant writes a character with a beard it’s supposed to be Alan. They contend the only time they actually wrote a version of Alan (locked in combat with a version of Grant) was in Seven Soldiers: The Manhattan Guardian. My reading of that was it all ended up in a place of begrudging respect, but… take it as you will.

2 Likes

@bookwormfitzpatrick.91230 Have you read any of Grant’s novels? I’ve read SuperGods, and I’m dying to read the recently released Luda.

B09W8RLC8H.01.SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500

4 Likes

That looks amazing! Is that a graphic novel, or just a normal novel?

2 Likes

Just a regular novel (though I’m hesitantto reger to anything they write as normal :slightly_smiling_face:).

3 Likes

08294070-f636-4160-b3fe-f65ff81cb7ba.CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1_

3fdc0551-4e1c-41a6-ad56-449f4b607e41.CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1_

152c57d9-e6b3-4271-af04-4d94c81c3590.CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1_

3 Likes

They were on Seth Myers show not too long ago to promote it’s release.

3 Likes

I haven’t but I’ve been wanting to read Luda, it looks really great

3 Likes

Gaiman isn’t interested in writing for any publisher where he doesn’t have ownership interest in the IP. I mean, yes, he does feel a certain sense of ownership and, likely possession even, over The Sandman but just as WB television studio didn’t really speak to him about Lucifer when it was on broadcast or moved to Netflix, it’s partially his willingness to keep stuff on as friendly a basis with DC Entertainment (even if he doesn’t really personally profit from it), that is likely getting him, for example, the created by credit on screen that he’s apparently getting for Deadboy Detectives. And Morrison keeps saying they are done writing for DC.

Morrison on Constantine for Hellblazer was not what I expected but I ascribed that to being early in his career. Whereas reading that lost Gaiman story about Clark and Hal Jordan in hell, which was originally scripted in 1988 so even before Sandman came out, but didn’t see the light of day until nearly 12 years afterwards. I read it about a 5-8 years ago, and it really felt and read like Gaiman.

Morpheus or some other aspect of the dreaming as filtered through Morrison would be very appealing. Again, since I’m not familiar with the Invisibles, I’m more inclined to say a Superman comes out of the sun so many years or even decades after the ending of All Star and Earth’s reaction to that, or some such, from Gaimen. Something very clearly associated with Gaimen, in other words.

Otherwise, maybe a Flex Mentallo story or since we’ve been talking about, a follow-up to Seven Soldiers for one or more of those characters, say Yestina or Klarion.

Also - Luda does look interesting. Seth Meyer often has comic creators on Late Night. I believe Morrison has appeared a number of times? I stopped watching Seth during the last administration simply because I got tired of hearing all that stuff. TerrificToyman’s right, @bookwormfitzpatrick.91230 Sun Gods is an interesting, worthwhile read, but it is all prose.

3 Likes

So am I the only one that had absolutely no idea Grant Morrison is Scottish?

3 Likes

This interview is HYSTERICAL I love it

3 Likes

I’m reading Luda now and loving it. It makes sense that if you write comics, you get good at finding a character’s voice, but good heavens, this book is just brilliantly narrated. It’s a book no one else could have written.

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth will always be the first comic I think of when Morrison comes up. Lots of great work to choose from!

4 Likes

No, many do not know.

2 Likes

Grant Morrison is one of my favorite DC Comics writers of All time! From Doom Patrol to JLA to All Star Superman to Final Crisis, Multiversity and Green Lantern he pumps out only hits in my book!

Sad he’s apperantly done with DC, but his works will be forever amoung my favorites!

3 Likes

What’s it about again?

2 Likes

Like… drag queens who are also witches? And a melodrama where a phantom keeps killing off the characters, but something is also killing off the actors, and the deeply unreliable narrator keeps dropping hints that the entire book is their testimony to a jury? Go in with an open mind and be willing to just enjoy the way the language flows. I’m digging it.

3 Likes

Ooooooookay…

3 Likes