Gosh Golly Gee I Sure Do Love Grant Morrison's Writing

Happy to announce I will be engaging in my weekly Crying To All-Star Superman

Anyway fellow Morrisonites what are your favorite comics they’ve written, DC or otherwise? I need recs

5 Likes
  1. Doom Patrol
  2. The Invisibles
  3. Seven Soldiers
  4. New 52’s Action Comics
  5. JLA
  6. Final Crisis
  7. New X-Men
  8. Seaguy
  9. Marvel Boy
  10. Wonder Woman: Earth One
    Bonus: We3

You know, just to get you started…

6 Likes

Oh! And how could I forget Animal Man???

6 Likes

I liked when he did Seven Soldiers

1 Like

Bringing this thread back because I’m gonna start their JLA run soon. I think the thing that REALLY works for me about their work is how they have this very offbeat, edgy, throw in every cool thing you can possibly think of approach to superhero stories. Optimistic counterculture superheroes. I LOVE superhero stories that push against the status quo while being optimistic about the worlds future.

3 Likes

I really liked their JLA run and the year of Flash they did with Mark Millar.

4 Likes

Seven Soldiers was excellent.

@TheCosmicMoth I have yet to read the Invisible mostly because it’s such a long run. And I wanted to read some of the other stuff to actually read Final Crisis from start to finish but the thee collections that make up the Action Comics run from the Nu52 are one of the few Nu52 things I’ve re-read more than once, or re-read period.

2 Likes

Still my favorite run they’ve ever done on a book. You can argue what was the best, but for me, their work on that title showed me how great the DCU was.

^ I think these 2 issues are underrated greatness from them. The story fits into the larger Final Crisis, but on it’s own, it’s still amazing.

3 Likes

@StrangeVisitor Invisibles is long, but worth it. I would recommend reading it alongside JLA as the ideas in both books play off each other. If you want to read Final Crisis from start to finish then JLA, Seven Soldiers, and their Batman run (in that order) would be what I would recommend beforehand. Their run in New 52 Action Comics is so good that I am militant about it :laughing:. Glad you enjoyed it!

@TheTerrificToyman Final Crisis: Superman Beyond is just perfect. I wish I still had my physical copies with the 3D glasses…

@Clonegeek18 You never fail to show us all who you really are. Just check yourself and stop.

3 Likes

Right?

Hey @Clonegeek18 if you’re just on this thread to be disrespectful and argue with people, please leave

2 Likes

Do you guys think a Morrison/Gaiman collaboration could work? Apparently they almost did one but it fell through. I think it could be cool, but I worry having two writers with such distinct styles could cause issues trying to have a coherent story. But then again, Neil Gaiman wrote Good Omens with Terry Pratchett

3 Likes

I’d be more interested in seeing them playing in each others sand boxes, so to speak. An Invisibles or Doom Patrol story penned by Gaiman and a Sandman story from Morrison.

3 Likes

Ooh that’d be really interesting

3 Likes

We did get The Sandman in Morrison’s JLA #22 in 1998.

4 Likes

Batman meets Morpheus! I need this in my life!

4 Likes

This is a good shout. Gaiman also followed up Morrison’s “Batman R.I.P.” with “Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?” in Batman #686 and Detective Comics #853.

Honestly, @bookwormfitzpatrick.91230, I could see a true collaboration between them going one of two ways. It would either be really amazing, or they would get in each other’s way and it just wouldn’t work.

5 Likes

for sure, it’s a very high-risk high-reward kind of collab

3 Likes

Supposedly when writing 52 Morrison and Waid became one mind, so Morrison is capable of collabing with other big name writers. Granted I think Waid is less of an alpha than Gaiman, and I always heard Morrison is a big alpha personality.

3 Likes

Apparently Morrison and Alan Moore have a bit of a feud

2 Likes