GIVE US FULL COMICS!

why only put out one comic. nobody cares about ready just the first part of Blackest night. i wont even start a series unless it has a couple already released on this app and i dont buy hard copy. get your crap together DC. yall have so many stories going to waste and not enough customers on this app to loose by being stingy with your content.

2 Likes

Well, if you do t buy hard copies, you’re out of luck. They put partial stories on here so it compels someone to buy the trade. They are NEVER going to have the entire libraries as some people want because that’s bad business. Also, there’s nothing anyone in these forums can do about your complaint. That’s what the help center is for🍀

3 Likes

Okay, I’d like to see your MBA my guy, because if it was bad for business there wouldn’t be a number of services that do that exact same thing. Anyways, they’re actually slowly adding more comics to the service. A ton of full runs got tossed up just this week. Per the mods, expect a formal announcement in the coming weeks.

1 Like

The racket we knew as comics publishing is changing, because people simply can’t afford hard copies anymore. You might be doing fine, but most people in this country right now aren’t. Direct to consumer services are becoming more prevalent because it makes more sense to get a portion of someone’s money for a product than to not get any of it at all because you’re hardline pricing them out.

Doing something that silly would be bad for business :wink:

2 Likes

No, putting entire runs of an ongoing title in this service would be silly because it would kill the hard copy business. People that could still afford it, MAY still buy hard copies for the collecting aspect, but people like me who pull all but five DC books would start trimming their pull list to save money. If I could read every current issue of Batman on this service for no extra charge, I wouldn’t be pulling 36 DC books right now on top of the 75 I paid back in July during preorders. At the same time, plenty of people who have this service are too young to have copies of CRISIS, so the hope from the provider is they will get interested enough in the first half of the story to go out and buy the trade. They WOULD lose money. I’m ONE example. I pull WELL over 75 dollars a month on DC comics and their imprints. Meaning, I pay more every month for comics than I did for 15 months of this service. I spend about 140 dollars a month on DC comics. I understand not everyone has that extensive of a pull list, but start adding everyone’s pull list on this service, or the amount they spend on trades a year, and DCU would be losing money on hard copy sales. There would be some, but very few that could afford to keep their pull list for just for the sake of collecting, and why would they if they could get entire runs of everything for 7.99 a month? The other services you speak of also don’t have classic viewing content, a daily news program, a community, a shopping service, or original programming. So they absolutely need to have more comics. Basically the bottom line is, the service is worth the money right now to shell out for it, and as you said, they will expand as it grows. If it’s not for some people, they can go to the help center and take it up with them. The community is for stuff like “favorite super pet” and whatnot. We can’t do anything about people’s concerns🍀

1 Like

Say someone only pulls five DC books a month. Average price being 3.99, and let’s assume at least one of those books double ships because their most popular books do, so six total DC hard copies a month. You’re at 24 dollars. That’s 288 a year, and the service is 75 for a year, or 96 if paying monthly. So even with a small DC pull list, you’re spending WAY more a year in comics than you are for the service. So putting entire runs of EVERYTHING is DC as a company losing money. That’s one person. With only five books, one which double ships. Basically a person would have to have two DC books on their pull list that ship once a month to make it a wash. Now, to say, “well people don’t want to read hard copies and want to be able to read every single issue of whatever title they are interested in digitally”, may very well be true, but then you don’t get new people in the comic shop buying a single book for 3.99 when the entire service is 7.99 a month. How many people on this service are interested in ONE book?

3 Likes

If you wanna keep your head in the sand, more power to you buddy.

I should put my head in the sand!! It might actually block my view of any new books coming out, thereby saving me some cash. Thanks, man!:four_leaf_clover:

I’m just saying if you wanna ignore market trends, that’s fine. But your whole argument about knowing what’s good for business is just defending a brand you like and justifying how much money you spend on it. I’m glad you can afford all this cool dc stuff, but you’re ignoring and dismissing progress and that seems kinda sad.

1 Like

Are you aware that only preorder sales of physical copies made to the distributor are counted as official sales and not what you buy in store? Are you aware of what a cartoonish racket publishing is? It’s gonna have to change somehow or it won’t survive. So putting the media directly into the hands of the consumer builds good will and the promise of repeat customers. If you give someone what they want, they’ll keep paying for the comfort of it being around. You’re thinking short-term and that’s bad for business dude.

1 Like

I’m not ignoring anything. It’s how it is. I don’t make the business model. But the math is there. I once witnessed a softball team be asked to leave a buffet because they ate such a GLUTENOUS amount of food the manager, as politely as he could, and embarrassed, asked them to stop because he was starting to lose money. If DCU wants to start making available new releases to download for fair market price, then so be it. I’m not justifying what I spend for the sake of it, it’s a stat. From one consumer. Even someone who spends a fourth of what I do is spending more per month than the service costs. Of course I’m going to defend a brand I love. I don’t want to see it fail. It costs money to scan these issues and put them on the service. They have to pull money from somewhere to add more books. I’d imagine the books they just added are a result of the new subscription deal they just offered a few weeks back. More subs means more things can be added. This is a service in its infancy. Netflix wasn’t always the powerhouse it is now. There’s also the issue of owning server space to consider. I mean, they could pull money from the budgets of their original shows to make more books available. They may own the books, but it still costs money to add them to the service. At this point in its existence, if they spend more money than the service has, it won’t succeed. WB gave DCU a starting budget. It’s now dependent on subs to bring in more to add content🍀

2 Likes

And they have put the media directly into our hands. Just not EVERY SINGLE THING. I see people saying “one stop for all things DC”. That means ONLY DC content, not any other WB stuff. They never said “EVERY SINGLE DC THING EVER”. There are plenty of books for people to read on this service. I’ve read maybe 200 older books that I was either in the Marines when they came out, or were before my time. 200, and there’s what, close to 3,000?

3 Likes

I can’t argue with Steiner Math. Let’s just agree to disagree and keep seeing more full runs get added.

You were a marine? Jeez that sounds miserable. Sorry you went through that, not being sarcastic.

Yeah, infantry. I’ve actually HAD my head in the sand. It’s probably why I’m happy with what this service offers. You can always have it worse. Or not at all🍀

2 Likes

You got me there

You may not care about them, but others might.

But if people read everything online, it’ll kill bookshop owners. You know the guys and gals who purchase physical copies to sell? They are hurting already. You go full current digital library, every comic book store would be shuttered in a year. And personally, I like holding the actual books in my hand.

4 Likes

There’s plenty of comics on here with more being added

1 Like

@jgjusmc

Thank you for your service, I also agree with a lot of your discussions, very informative

@whymannywhy

For Pete’s sake, why are you apologizing to a patriot for serving our country and protecting our freedoms and way of life