Future of the DCEU: Animated vs Live Action

Okay, I saw Green Lantern: Beware my Power the other night and I have to say, it was awesome. A great story and great voice acting. The animation was top notch and the movie was exciting start to finish. Now I keep reading about how the new bosses at DC (Discovery) want to make massive changes, make lots of cuts. I have no idea if Batgirl would have been a winner or not. In my opinion The Batman was a letdown and I did not like The Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey or Wonder Woman 1984. I did, however, enjoy Catwoman: Hunted, Injustice, Batman: The Long Halloween, Justice Society: World War II, Batman: Soul of the Dragon and Superman: Man of Tomorrow.
I thought the series of movies that began with Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox and ended with Justice League Dark; Apocalypse War was fantastic. I waited on the edge of my seat for each new movie to come out and I was very sorry to see that series come to an end.
Now I’ve read that the guy running DCEU has a ten year plan for the live action movies, sort of like they did at the other brand. A single time line that begins with Man of Steel and went on to Batman vs Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice League and Aquaman. And I think that’s a good idea. If they keep the same actors (though I am fairly certain Ezra Miller is out). But until they have these movies ready to go I think DC should focus mainly on animated movies and shows. Every animated show they’ve put out is always the best thing on, Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Young Justice, Supehero Girls. Their animated movies are usually exciting and intelligent. So in my humble opinion the immediate focus for DCEU should be animation. What do you think?

Sadly I don’t think WBD will ever focus on big budget animated films like Disney/Pixar or the like will. But I do agree DC has a much better track record in animation then it does in live action and it would be stupid to not capitalize on that!

Sadly with the current ignorant heads of WBD making cuts to their animation department, i don’t see that happening any time soon.

2 Likes

I greatly enjoy animated movies like Batman Ninja, Justice League Dark, the Lego Batman movie, and The Long Halloween. Doing animation would be cheaper and easier for them as a production studio, and that’s kind of the endgame they want.

I don’t think they’d ever quit live-action movies, which is a good thing, they are Warner Bros. But if we have to wait for many years until a live-action is polished enough to be released, I’m just as happy to wait less time for animated films.

We do have Batman: Caped Crusader still to come, which seems like a big kids version of B:TAS. I know that isn’t the “blockbuster” movie experience they’re gunning for at this time, but I’m looking forward to it just as much as the Joker sequel.

1 Like

That is a good thing, and should be celebrated. Big budgets mean big interreference with animation and nothing more. The small budgets and creator control are why these movies are great. Give them big budgets and immediately they are stereotypical superhero movies.

1 Like

I’ve actually thought a lot of DC’s animated movies have been slipping in recent years. Those movies you mentioned I thought were just OK at best, whereas I loved those live action movies. In terms of the animated stuff, I think DC’s been doing much better on the TV side w/ projects like Harley Quinn and Young Justice. That said, I wouldn’t wanna see the animated movies go away since there have been plenty of ones I’ve loved further back and there’s always the potential that I’ll end up loving them more consistently again

But that may all be moot since it’s clear the current regime wants to focus on the big theatrical live-action movies going forward. Given what I said about the ones in recent years I should like that move, but I’ve also made my many problems w/ Zaslav abundantly clear, so it doesn’t really give me any new hope w/ things in such a state of flux at WB

2 Likes

What was wrong with “The Batman” and/or “The Suicide Squad”?

There is nothing wrong with disliking them.

1 Like

Never said there was, I was just asking why

1 Like