Fun “Real” References/Ads in Comics

Batman: Urban Legends #13: Columbo.

2 Likes

Superman vs. Lobo #3: Grimace.

2 Likes

Batgirls #4: Shave & a Haircut two bits- Charles Hale, remade by Milton Berle circa 1939’, Smash Mouth- All Star, A-Team quote.

2 Likes

Gen-13 #6: Lady Gaga, Madonna- Vogue ,& Marilyn Monroe, Chef Boyardee, Spaghetti-O’s.

2 Likes

I feel like the Gaga reference might be more Queen considering how old the comic is.

4 Likes

Agreed. I was never arguing lol. If u read my entire post I said specifically 𝐒𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐬, -& I even made a point to say not this time tho & you’re (@keath) right??? I’m guessing there was some confusion considering we’re arguing the same point…I apologize if I worded it funny :laughing:…but, we’re both saying the same thing. I was just referencing how (again, NOT in this case) people use the date as a proof positive. If the years songs came out, had to coincide with the year of the comics release, there’d be hardly any. Again, I’m not speaking of this exact scenario…was just touching on a point. In this case, yes, it’s wrong b/c of the year-& even in saying that, I’m not 100% sure, b/c I wasn’t there when possibly someone said- hey, we have the tech now. Let’s change that plain pink shirt to a GaGa T? I’m 99.9% sure that’s not the case. But, too many times people dismiss references just b/c of dates. You can add things later, a comic could be halfway done & something socially impactful takes place, they could easily add it in even tho the date says August the 3rd. They probably worked on it for several months or longer. Nowadays no. But they didn’t have the tools b4. So who’s to say if one artist decided to add that on b4 it was converted to digital. Maybe they were a huge fan & added that in when reconverted? I already agreed that’s most likely not the case, but, I was just speculating over how so many things get dismissed for that reason, & it just sparked a thought in my brain. My apologies if I confused u or us :joy:

2 Likes

Gen-13: Sacajawea, M&M’s. Jimmy Eat World, & Sonic Youth (half posters but intuition is always ready lol).

2 Likes

Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating the DC Universe #1: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Alien & Predator.

2 Likes

… huh? Are you referencing my comment in the other (music) thread? I didn’t think you were arguing, nor am I @SaintBrodiethough my work profile pic is the same as xir profile pic… are you stalking me at work?

3 Likes

Yes. I’m sorry. I got super confused lol. I confused everyone & we were all agreeing on the same thing :joy:. I’m sorry :disappointed:. I was posting on this thread thinking I was on the musical thread etc. my bad bud.

3 Likes

Doomsday Clock #10: Hedy Lamarr, & Gary Cooper.

2 Likes

Doomsday Clock #11: John Hinkley Jr. & Ronald Reagan.

3 Likes

Justice League Of America’s Vibe #2: Snickers & Transformers it’s Soundwave lol…that was my favorite one as a kid.

2 Likes

Vibe #9: Wheaties.

2 Likes

Task Force Z #6: Jurassic Park.

2 Likes

Harley Quinn #13: 𝐉𝐎𝐇𝐍𝐍𝐘 𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐇_ 𝐅𝐎𝐋𝐒𝐎𝐌 𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐁𝐋𝐔𝐄𝐒. (Play on words).

2 Likes

Gen13 #8: Enter the Dragon.

2 Likes

Detective Comics #46: Twilight Zone, & Good Humor Ice Cream.

2 Likes

Detective Comics #49: Bullock will tell u all about Alan Shepard, rest is highlighted. All historical references & Luke Skywalker lol.

2 Likes

Detective Comics #51: Zombieland.

2 Likes