Friend wants to get into DC Comics

Hello,

My best friend is wanting to get into DC comic books and he asked me for suggestions. I have been reading DC comics for years. He is really big into Manga, but wants something different now. I told him anything by Alan Moore such as Watchmen and The Killing Joke are great options. I also told him to read flashpoint and then start on the New 52 after that. Are these good suggestions? What are some more I could recomend him?

1 Like

This is a high risk strategy, but hear me out: Who’s Who. Flipping through the pages, he sees Count Vertigo! Wow! Then he turns the page! Who’s this Crazy Quilt guy! And what’s this? The CREATURE COMMANDOS? And then GASP a yellow Joker in his undies with a furry back! His imagination explodes with the vastness and possibilities of this new universe! He runs out and breathlessly buys a hardcover Captain Carrot omnibus!

Or Villains United/Secret Six

1 Like

Well, I can never not recommend Crisis on Infinite Earths. The dialogue’s a little rough, but the story and especially the art are wonderful. It also shows off a ton of lesser-known characters that he can pursue if they catch his eye.

And of course, Batman: Hush and Geoff Johns’ Green Lantern run are great “beginner” books.

1 Like

Give him eight bucks. One week free trial, one month of DCU and 20,000 comics to explore-- so five weeks to find his own jam.

6 Likes

@Misfit Keep an eye on your mailbox for a “Thanks for the plug!” check from DCU :wink:

Regarding the topic, anything illustrated by Jim Lee. Writing wise, anything by Dan Jurgens, Gail Simone, Grant Morrison, David Michelinie and Geoff Johns is pretty okeyday.

1 Like

Yeah if he is able to get this service then he should. Read Batman Year One to get into Batman.

3 Likes

I think the best Crash Course for DC Comics is , find out there favorite character, then get them Hooked on either New 52 or Rebirth and let them find their own favorite storylines.

2 Likes

Definitely Identity Crisis. It’s short but has many super heroes involved and a really really compelling story.

2 Likes

Teen titans rebirth is easy to understand. Even if you haven’t heard of the references to Tim Drake’s death ETC. they give you enough context for you to understand and enjoy.

The key when starting out in comics is to keep things simple. Avoid the big, huge events for the time being as those could understandably turn off some new readers who know nothing of the characters, events and continuity referenced therein.

Go for a title or titles that are appealing and seem like an easy, understandable read. Easy peasy.

1 Like

My recommendation would be Batman Hush. It is the epic story showing so many of Batman’s enemies along with a great story, and Jim Lee’s perfect art. Then I would move on to Superman Rebirth, Detective Comics Rebirth, Action Comics Rebirth, etc. just my humble opinion. Good luck and happy reading.

1 Like

Tell him to just read! I’m having a blast enjoying this huge library we have and I’ve started collecting again. DCUniverse rocks!!!

1 Like

First off YES! Get into DC Comics, but New 52 is not the best path to today. Starting with rebirth actually works just fine. If you don’t know a character just look them up before you start so you don’t miss out.

My Rebirth Reading Order is here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17dpDIP4Fi4wGjv37vxxFhnaMZ8BQGmbJ-ic2fX7QkH8/edit

1 Like