Five (or Fewer) Things You Would Want From a Reboot or Continuity Adjustment

I am still catching up towards rebirth, and I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but I miss the look of the New 52 superman costume. I liked the look, the armored-like texture, and most importantly, no freaking red trunks. I am sorry, but damn do I hate those red trunks. Hate me all you want DC fans

1 Like

@SWhite: I am so with you on 2, 3, and 4. I also want Kandor restored and Tim returned to being Red Robin.

Yes for #2. It was like, oh another death from that villain. How new and different.

2 Likes
  1. Bring back Milestone series, especially Static. All characters from Milestone are amazing, and are some of my all time favorite characters, and again, especially Static(He’s easily my all time favorite dc characters)
  2. Bring Roy Harper, and his daughter back, and give him a solo series. Roy was a former drug addicted, who has to battle his addiction while at same time be a good man for his daughter. That make some amazing stories that you never see in a superhero comic.
  3. Focus less on the main members of The Justice League. To me it feels like everything in the DC universe revolves around the main members of the league, while everyone else is taken along for the ride. Their are so many characters in DC that could easily be the star of a major event.
  4. Stop overpowering Batman. Batman was my favorite character of all time for years, but as I got older the less I liked him. The main reason for that is because every writer, and fan make him this b unstable being who “is always prepared”. It makes him less interesting, and makes times when normal people beat him(Like the Joker) a lot less believable.
  5. More grounded stories. Not necessarily dark, and gritty stories, but stories that focus on real life problems. For the last years it feels like DC has always tried to make the craziest cosmic adventure they can, then try to do something even crazier the next month. I’m not gonna those stories are fun, but the get old quickly. While more grounded, and realistic stories always click with me better.
2 Likes
  1. Undo the death/destruction of the first legacy characters (basically the original Titans). It looks like we’re final getting Dick back, but who knows how “back” he is actually going to be… see Wally post-Flash Forward. Family back? Check. Is Wally with them? Uncheck. Since he gets to change stuff, is Roy back with Lian? Double uncheck.

2. Let heroes actually be happy/get some joy be it from the actual heroing or from their personal lives.

3. Return Jon to his original age. Super Sons!

4. Bring Alfred back and have a Batfamily book, starring Batgirl(s) and Robin(s) of all eras in various teamups. Alfred could even be a pseudo narrator or something.

Several other changes, but most can be related back to 2 above, so I’ll let that be a catch-all.

5 Likes

Almost like a Batfamily Task Force and Alfred runs the assignments? I think his neck was snapped so make him immobile and the new Oracle. Babs can be his mentor and inspiration. (I would prefer just plain ol Alfred though).

I wasn’t really thinking of him running assignments, just his commentary/reminiscing on situations to kick off the stories. He probably sees so many shenanigans…

I’m sure he’s seen a lot. Poor guy has to clean up after a constant rotation of teenage males.

It’d be cool to see Jack T. Chance again.
Always fun.

3 Likes
  1. Hypertime (because it would make the rest below possible)
  2. Grant Morrison’s run on Action Comics to return to continuity.
  3. The Silver Age Superman stories return to continuity.
  4. William Moulton Marston’s run on Wonder Woman to return to continuity.
  5. Infinite Earths.
2 Likes

[interlocks fingers, pushes out to crack a single knuckle]
[stretches neck]
[yawns]

5- Return Jon Kent to his proper age. I wasn’t even reading Superman when this happened, but I’m not thrilled about this; can’t imagine why this was supposed to be a good idea. Age him so you didn’t have to further age Clark? Or Lois? So you could say I’m offended on behalf of Super Sons fans who are already voicing their offense.

4- Bringing back Alfred and Leslie Thompkins. Yeah, yeah, I know, “we need stuff to last in comics.” But I think they bring a necessary element in Bruce’s life that other characters don’t fulfill.

3- Agreed on Batman being more mythical, and his identity less known. I remember reading Batman and Robin, in a story involving Two-Face, and he calls him Bruce, and I was thinking, “ugh, so he knows, too?” Just like with setting all of Gotham on fire, showing the Wayne murders, or Homer and Marge’s marriage being on the rocks, when you repeat the “foe discovers/already knows Batman’s identity” so many times within a few years, it loses whatever punch the revelation normally would.

2- Most, if not all, character origins being what they were pre-Flashpoint. Hush being one exception, because that was a rare case where there was some mild improvement.

1- James Tynion IV’s character/origin retcons removed and supplanted with the good ones. “Orphan” doesn’t speak to who Cassandra Cain is, letting Gotham burn for daddy issues doesn’t speak to who Stephanie is, and Harper Row is not a character anyone in or tangentially connected to the Bat-family would like, much less worship–not without extensive brainwashing by a super villain.
Yeah, this kind of gets covered in Point 2, but in case I haven’t made it clear, Tynion’s retcons are the worst kind of fan-fiction that deserves to be burned, its ashes put into a lock box, that lock box chained up, placed into a rocket, and sent off to the furthest star from Earth.

3 Likes

Add “Bruce loses fortune” to #3.
I am no writer. I do not have the talent. But it’s like they don’t read their own characters. Plot devices are recycled at a minimum of once every 5 years.
I skim The Flash and swear they just renumber the same story every ten issues or so.

1 Like

[Tom Jane voice]
I just want Wally West back.

2 Likes

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe its all continuity now- that was my favorite part of Doomsday Clock. It all happened, Manhattan just kept shifting Superman forward in time.

2 Likes

@TheTerribleToyman
Yeah, that was one of my favorite things about it to.

My reading of it was that, periodically, the timeline pushes Superman forward through time and then resets around him.

That would, technically, mean those things are in continuity. I guess the phrasing I’m looking for may be… relevant to current state.

Just a few things really. I would prefer Jon Kent to be returned to his younger age. Really enjoyed Super Sons…it was a fun read and touched on some deeper topics such as…what it means to be a hero, friendship and sacrifice. Also was a great foil for Damian.
While I am enjoying the Shazam book I would prefer that he was more formidable. It leans a bit too into his more childlike qualities. And lastly While I loved Sxott Snyder’s Batman run and mostly everything ekse he writes, he is a master storyteller, I feel Dark Knight Metal and Death Metal are venturing into elseworld territory. I really like these books but fir me it would maybe work better out of continuity.

1 Like