Favorite Wonder Woman Stories

What are your favorite Wonder Woman comics/story arcs/writer or artist runs/series? I’ve read some WW comics but am looking for some recommendations!

4 Likes

The New 52 (2011-)

Loved every moment.

3 Likes

Wonder Woman 2016

Year One early even number issues 2 4 6 etc.

3 Likes

Good stuff:

-New 52 ongoing
-both of Greg Rucka’s runs
-Blackest Night: Wonder Woman (a mini-series by Rucka)
-William Messner-Loeb and Mike Deodato’s run on Wonder Woman v2 (the 1987-2006 book)
-John Byrne’s run on WW v2
-George Perez’s time on WW v2

Not a solo Wonder Woman title, but Superman/Wonder Woman is a fun read.

Original graphic novels worth looking into are Wonder Woman: The True Amazon and Wonder Woman: Earth One volumes one and two.

That’s a good start on WW books that are worth lassoing up and diving into.

4 Likes

Phil Jimenez’s run ( 164-188 )
George Perez’s run
Azzarello’s New 52 run

2 Likes

Greg Rucka’s books are really the only good ones, IMHO. The problem is that almost every other WW story is just some extra secret revealed about her origin (which at this point is so convoluted as to be almost inexplainable). It’s such a shame, too. DC should really put more effort into making good Wonder Woman books. She’s as much a part of the Trinity as Superman or Batman.

4 Likes

The challenge of Artemis
Gods & Mortals
Gods of Gotham
Levels
Godwar
Year one
Paradise Lost
Rise of the Olympians
The Contest
Who is WW
The Bronze Doors
Eyes of the Gorgon

Not in order but eyes of Gorgon “is” my number 1 all time.

2 Likes

Oh and Perez and Rucka. Sorry all I saw was favorite storylines.
The legend of WW 2015 not the older one ( it’s great too tho) but for a self contained comic I read it without stopping after issue #1.

2 Likes

Here are my favorite runs and stories…not a single sword or shield in sight and the invisible plane in all its glory!

The 12 Labors (1974-76) (Vol. 1 #212-222)
Superman vs Wonder Woman (1978)
Wonder Woman Spectacular (1978) (DC Special Series #9)
Gerry Conway’s run (1980-81) (Vol. 1 #269-278)
Roy Thomas’ run (1982-83) (Vol. 1 #288-293, 300)
The Legend of Wonder Woman (1986 mini-series)

2 Likes

Great Hera, I forgot Allan Heinberg’s run on the '06-'11 WW book. “Who is Wonder Woman?” is one of my favorite WW stories ever, as is The Odyssey by J. Michael Straczynski and Phil Hester.

Superman vs. Wonder Woman is alot of fun too.

3 Likes

I’ve actually been looking for some Wonder Woman stories to read so thanks

1 Like

I really enjoyed Alan Heinberg and Terry Dodson’s “Who is Wonder Woman?” (WW vol. 3 #1-4, Annual #5.) I’m not a big fan of “Warrior Princess” WW, and this run brought back a lot of the super hero fun I’d been missing including Diana Prince! The final showdown with all of her rogues was awesome.

“The Odyssey” (WW #601-614) doesn’t get much love but it’s actually one of my favorite stories and one of the more modern runs I’ve read more than once. I’m very much a traditionalist when it comes to WW (and super heroes) in general, and when the story was first being published I hated it… but I did enjoy Don Kramer’s art. When it was finished, I went back and read it as a complete piece and it worked much better for me the second (and third) time around.

1 Like

The Legend of Wonder Woman (2016) is my all time favorite WW story. I also really like George Perez’s run and the current Rebirth run.

1 Like

I really enjoyed Gail Simone’s run. There’s a nice light touch of humor and the best depiction by far of Etta Candy. At one point Diana is forced to enlist the aid of non-Greek deities, so you get a nice selection from other cultures.

1 Like

Msgtv

Completely with u on Simone. There’s not much, if anything, DC- wise of hers I don’t like, probably even love. BOP, Secret Six, WW etc. love it all.

Wonder Woman year one

1 Like

My Favorite Wonder Woman
story is by J. Michael
Straczynski, starting with
issue 601. The first arc is
incredible. She is young, alone, with amnesia, possessing only afraction of her powers and
none of her weapons, and
she is being hunted. And she
looks great in pants

3 Likes

Azzarello and Chiang’s run has been my favorite so far.

2 Likes

The just war is really good so far

1 Like

I’d say the Azzarello/Chaing New 52 run is my favorite so far, but I’ve been reading the Perez run for the World of Wonder Book Club and been enjoying that.

3 Likes