Favorite Version of a Hero Origin Story?

I really love what Jimenez is doing on Batman with Tynion right now - he did a few issues in Their Dark Designs, then did all of Joker War and The Cowardly Lot. I’m not a huge fan of Super Sons or Justice League by Snyder, but his work there was worth checking out.

4 Likes

While my favorite Superman origin is Birthright, I read Man of Steel for the first time a few years ago, and really enjoyed it - it held up pretty well! And I really agree that Superman needs to be Clark to avoid being crushed or becoming a tyrant.

6 Likes

My favorite Superman origin is Superman #146 “The Story of Superman’s Life” from 1961.

It codified the Silver Age history together from Krypto to Superboy.

Birthright and Secret Origin are great. All-Star Superman’s first four panels are a masterpiece. Action Comics #500 is a little overstuffed but still fun. Man of Steel is really drawn well even if I don’t like large stretches of the Post Crisis remake. Superman #53 was a great first draft even if it did leave out Superboy who had been created three years earlier.

9 Likes

Welcome back to the community, @Nether-Lohengrin! Both of those are great origin stories - thanks for sharing. :superman_hv_1:

Please let the moderator team know if you need anything! :00_robin:

5 Likes

For Superman, it’s got to be Byrne’s Man of Steel, but I am kind of fond of Action Comics #500 recounting of the silver age origin.
Byrne’s take held on until Loeb brought back in the silver age’s sillier elements. After that, it felt like we were getting a different origin every couple of years.

5 Likes

Forever my most fave here-

My two runner up faves here-

:00_batgirl: :0_batgirl: :00_batgirl1: :00_teen_titans:

7 Likes

Awesome, thanks for sharing! All 3 are characters I could stand to learn a bit more about. And I really should probably read that Batgirl comic since I just jumped straight in with Oracle in Birds of Prey. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I do adore Batgirl Year One - such a well crafted story on the writing and art level!

5 Likes

@Angel212 - It’s a fantastic reimagining of Detective Comics #359. :smiley:

Wholeheartedly agreed with you @millernumber1! :+1:

6 Likes

It has been added to my ever-growing reading list, @DC89! :+1:

Also can I just say how much I love comic-makers’ use of the word “startling” in that era? I’ve seen that a lot in the WW ones also. :blush:

3 Likes

:smiley: IKR?

4 Likes

I quite enjoyed Morrison’s All-Star Superman

2 Likes

As an origin?

3 Likes

It is the opposite of an origin.

3 Likes

Awesome thread, @Angel212! I’ll definitely have to refer back to this once I come out of my Batman hole. :batparrot:

Today, I finished my very first Tim Drake comic - and it was an origin story. I didn’t know much about Tim going in but was instantly taken by his top notch detective skills and enthusiasm. Here are a few pages from this fun throwback.

:open_book: Check out Batman: A Lonely Place of Dying here on DCU!

6 Likes

This looks really interesting! I didn’t know much about Tim either. Thanks for sharing! :+1:

Also the tagline on that cover: “DC Comics aren’t just for kids!” I think all of us here can agree on that. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You’re most welcome, @Angel212! I’m excited for others to read this little arc and to discover more about Tim myself now that I have an intro.

As I’m thinking about it, my absolute favorite storyline is Batman & Robin (The New 52). It’s where I first met Damian Wayne and Bruce Wayne as a father. I’m not sure if that counts as an “origin” per se, but it was my first time and sticks with me to this day. Also, the art is incredible. I look forward to one day getting the omnibus.

So true - comics aren’t just for kids! :grinning:

2 Likes

Superman: The Man of Steel
Batman: Year One
Wonder Woman Gods and Monsters
Green Lantern Showcase 22
Flash Barry the Life Story of the Flash by Iris West Allen
Wally Flash Born to Run
Green Arrow The Wonder Year
Aquaman Adventure Comics 260
Hawkman Hawkworld

5 Likes

Okay @DC89! Batgirl Year One was my chosen weekend reading! Long story short, I loved it. :+1:

Thoughts

I immediately empathized with Barbara, as a girl who constantly had to fight for inclusion in “boy stuff” and a woman who has to keep doing the same thing in a “man’s world.” The struggle against her dad’s expectations and against the guy superheroes’ assumptions felt honest and relevant. And even the way Black Canary brushed her off is very telling of the way women who have “made it” can sometimes treat other women who are still trying. (I love Dinah though, really! Just observing the very interesting dynamic her character provided in this particular story). And all this made the payoff of her acceptance into the Bat Family just that much sweeter.

Anyway! Thanks for the awesome recommendation! I’m very glad I now have this backstory on Babs as we continue to read about her in the Birds of Prey club. :blush:

2 Likes

@Angel212- everything that you’ve discussed in your thoughts drop-down regarding BG Year One mirrors my exact feelings about this amazing story- I couldn’t agree with you more! BG Year One is a visual essay chronicling Barb’s overdue rise to well-earned glory. My gurrrlll (finally) comes into her own here as a DCU superhero multifaceted with inner strength, unbridled determination, and affable tenacity whom readers can readily identify with. Easily my most fave BG story of all.
:00_batgirl: :0_batgirl: :00_batgirl1: :purple_heart: :yellow_heart: :purple_heart:

3 Likes