Favorite Version of a Hero Origin Story?

Such a great series here @KeyFamily. I still have my copies from 1989 and it’s the story that moved Tim D. up into my top 10 fave DCU heroes. Love it! :00_robin:

3 Likes

Oh wow, @DC89, that’s so cool! Thank you for sharing!

I love the artwork and pleasant overall vibe of this series. Even with a heavy subject, it plays out light and airy - such a nice read! I’d love to see pictures of your paper copies (if you have a chance)! My Batman Collection is always eager to see more Batbooks™️*!

*adding to our growing list of TradeMarked items in the DCU (like @NYJt3’s Awesome™️) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

@KeyFamily- all will be revealed when I get resettled back in LA and unveil my DCU figures/statues/comics display. :wink: :smiley: :+1:

4 Likes

Oh SNAP! Safe travels! I will wait patiently. :blush:

1 Like

Superman: The Movie.

It’s not a comic, I know, but it was so full of heart, so well done, so iconic, so to the point… that I find it hard not to think of it when thinking of superhero origin stories.

In the comics I’m gonna have to agree with everyone mentioning John Byrne’s Superman. It’s the beginning of the modern Superman as we know him. Exceptionally well crafted by Byrne as writer and artist, and that story continued for years, influencing not only other comics, but movies and TV as well.

Honorable mention to New 52 Superman by Grant Morrison. I enjoyed reading about brash young Clark running around in t-shirt and jeans, then discovering his Kryptonian heritage and tech battle suit. Was fun times and marked my introduction into comics as a whole.

4 Likes

I had been thinking just of comics, but this definitely counts as a version of an origin story, so why not? :+1:

And if we’re counting other media I may as well say there would no longer be any debate for me, my favorite is the 2017 Wonder Woman film. If not for that (and its sequel) I would never have picked up her comics. :00_wonder_woman_1982:

Thank you for sharing that and also your comic choices!

3 Likes

Oh, that reminds me of Legend of Wonder Woman. A great origin!

2 Likes

Oh my word, I love this comic (and was super bummed it never continued). Really interesting and fun take on the origin with Steve and Etta well-represented. And the art is just gorgeous. I could stare at that book all day. :star_struck:

4 Likes

Agreed. Also really bummed it never continued. But it’s a great book to collect even as it is.

2 Likes

Completely unrelated to how great it is as an origin, but it also contains this wonderful image of a cat (who looks like mine) trying to steal pie from Diana. :joy_cat:

1 Like

For Superman, I’d go with either the first issue of Superman from 1939 (which expands the origin from his first appearance in Action Comics) or Secret Origin from 2009.

For Batman, I’d probably pick one of his origin stories that’s embedded in a parallel modern story, such as Batman #47 (1948) or Detective Comics #574 (1987). His very first origin story from Detective Comics #33 (1939) is pretty good, too.

For Dick Grayson, I’ll probably stick with Detective Comics #38 (1940). None of the retellings are quite as good as that first take. Of the modern versions, I suppose I’d go with Legends of the Dark Knight #100. Batman: Year Three is decent, but a bit too sparse.

3 Likes

I like Batgirl Year One, but it has a few things that just utterly drive me crazy. 1. She says she’s going to scream way too many times and in situations that don’t make sense like the cave. 2. Babs is supposed to be super smart and should know normal rope at max velocity is a bad idea. 3. There’s no need to bash Wondy’s costume even if it’s not her style. :frowning: Maybe nitpicking, but these things make me sad. Gorgeous book though!

2 Likes

I was going to post that and decided against because I wasn’t sure it fit the rules. I adore that movie.

For a comic book origin of Superman, I will take Superman for All Seasons. So many feels.

6 Likes

Same! I joined DCU after seeing the movie last year just because I wanted to read all the Wonder Woman comics. It’s funny how you run into one of those random moments in life that spark a new interest. I did not expect to like the movie as much as I did.

2 Likes

OOC: I can relate.

1 Like

That’s awesome! :+1: For me it was similar, with WW84 (and then rewatching the first movie) getting me really interested in exploring Diana’s character. I’ve liked superhero movies for awhile but this is the first time I was compelled to pick up comics. Now reading comics has become one of my main hobbies - plus I found this awesome community! :blush:

1 Like

That was a powerful moment. That scene has come to my mind in the past.

1 Like

Dick Grayson’s introduction as Nightwing in New Teen Titans. He became Nightwing to specifically distance himself from Batman in order not to become him and every adaption of this transition since has been turned into a Batfam story. Like how is the character stepping out of Batman’s shadow as they say every time if these adaptions have him working for Batman and training the latest members of the Batfam. It doesn’t work that way. Very much still in Batman’s shadow. I call it false advertisement at this point.

1 Like

You know that “Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye” # 3 has that “Did you Ever Wonder How Green Arrow Came to Be?” one page backup story?

It is easily my favorite Green Arrow origin.

1 Like

Ice: Secret Origins 33
You’ll have to dig it out of the Back issue bins because a certain disgraced writer was involved. But honestly, It’s still my favorite origin for Tora Olafsdotter regardless.