Favorite Teen Titans Comic Runs

Infinite Crisis caused a lot of changes to the Titans specifically.

Spoilers Superboy dies saving the new multiverse. Cyborg was in space with Starfire, Donna Troy, and others fighting in the Rann Thanagar War, and they got lost on the way back which is detailed in 52 (which is an excellent read). There were lots of complications when they got back because they fell through a wormhole or something causing cyborg to be in a coma. Bart went into the speed force and came out fully aged and became the Flash. His story continues in Flash: Lightning in a bottle, which is a good read on its own but with the added context of decades of Flash stories it has some flaws. Also multiple lesser known titans were murdered during the crisis

On a separate note, Peter David’s Young Justice is fantastic

3 Likes

2003 Geoff Johns I prefer over the original

1 Like

My favorite comic of the 80s was the New Teen Titans. I have yet to read the later runs so I cant comment on them.

2 Likes

Ive just now started it

1 Like

I’m mixed on that personally, for I like the 90’s version, but the version from John’s run is my superboy, first one I knew when getting Into DC… which brings up a fascinating point, for you want the original superboy back because that’s yours (and remembering from other threads what you grew up with), but I want to keep the other because it’s mine and what I grew up with, and it shows that every character or version of a character is somebody’s favorite… (sorry if none of this makes sense lol it’s late…)

3 Likes

I totally get it. I’m actually more okay with Johns Superboy after recently reading an old interview about his intentions. He also explains (maybe in a different interview) Kon is a favorite DC character. Who would’ve thunk it? If I can rediscover the article I’ll send it to you tomorrow. I don’t think the character was radically changed. He just matured faster than I was prepared for. I realize now that the character design was what bothered me most. He got huge and I didn’t/don’t care for the not a costume. Ya get me?

3 Likes

Yep, I totally get ya! And if you do find the article, I’d love ta see it!

3 Likes

Agreed. Bart Allen in particular was disappointing. The Teen Titans run ignored all the character developement that happened in his solo book. He’d just spent 80 plus issues learning to be responsible, to understand consequences, to empathize with other people, and the first story arc of Titans pretends like none of that mattered or existed. The same thing with Kon and everything in his series, starting with the identity change from Kon-El to Conner Kent. Even his powers change, as they stop with the tactile telekinesis and just go with Superman’s powers.

On it’s own the early 2003 run was a decent story, but it was a let down to fans of the Young Justice series and the characters’ solo books.

As for favorite titans runs…I haven’t read most of them in years but I remember really liking the 1999 run of The Titans.

2 Likes

My favorite is Wolfman and Perez. That entire run was perfection. The way how each character felt needed and was integral to the story being told.

2 Likes

Marv Wolfman and George Perez are to the 80’s creatively on “The New Teen Titans” what Denny O’Neill/Neal Adams were in the 70’s. on Green Lantern/Green Arrow. An absolutely perfect synchronicity of word and picture
That and Starfire was insanely hot to a saddo comic book weirdo teenage loner like myself in the early 80’s.