Favorite Teen Titans Comic Runs

I originally had this titled “Best Teen Titans…” but I changed it to “favorite” to show that there is no right or wrong answer. Which run (as a whole) is your favorite?

3 Likes

Devin Grayson’s run on the '98 title. It might be the only good Titans run I’ve read, though I haven’t gotten to the Johns stuff.

(Marv Wolfman’s run went for sixteen years and was good for maybe two of them. I like some of Wolfman’s work, just… not that.)

4 Likes

Marv Wolfman and George Perez on New Teen Titans. Duh?

7 Likes

I’m thinking about binging the whole thing.

4 Likes

The Johns stuff is really good, but the guy that starts after him writes some of the worst titans stories I’ve ever read.

5 Likes

If we’re talking ‘03 titans and McKeevers run, than god do I agree. It just gets so bad, so quick- like do any of the characters in that run like each other? Why are they doing this? It’s an absolute chore to read
(Edit: Johns run, however, is very good and I would recommend it)

5 Likes

Ditto.

2 Likes

The only decent part was having Blue Beetle and Static on the team, and kid devil was great until they ruined him. They killed so many people just for the sake of killing them it was so cringy and stupid. They also barely used Bart and Conner after they came back to life.

Honestly I don’t know which was worse, this run or the Titans run from ‘08. (Just to clarify, the start of the run was fine enough, but after Brightest day when it was the villain titans it was really really bad.)

3 Likes

god I haven’t even gotten to static joining or kid devils death yet (I already knew what happened so you didn’t spoil or anything) but where I am right now is just so miserable to read I’ve been stuck on the same like three issues for the past two weeks. The thing about Conner and Bart is annoying to hear about too, they were half of the reason I started reading this run in the first place, but oh well

4 Likes

@baseballmaniac01.45870 ditto that ditto!

3 Likes

It’s such a tough read, the stories are so unbelievably bland.

On a separate note, I feel like they totally wasted Mia Dearden Speedy on the Teen Titans because she’s joins right before infinite crisis then leaves off-panel and only has a couple cameos after.

4 Likes

Yeah they really are, I went from reading like 15 issues of tt a day to like 1 every week and a half it’s so painful. They all hate each other and it’s boring

Yeah I feel exactly the same way. She was being built up as this major character and seemed really cool, and then they just drop her after like six issues? It was really frustrating, but the I guess she does benefit since she gets to miss out on some of the absolute character assassination that occurs after johns leaves. But yeah, they built up so much story potential with her only for her to be dropped after infinite crisis and it was disappointing

(Aside from that, I hated the regression in Roses and Cassie’s relationship once Johns left. They had been building up to them reconciling, and then McKeever just tosses that all out so they can continue hating each other. That really bugged me. Also the cast just became so inconsistent once johns left, it felt like it was changing every other week)

4 Likes

Pretty much every character lost their development, and it was a dumb decision for BB and Raven to come back later and just act like they were in charge for no reason. Cassie had it the worst, she pretty much became a different character, and her forced relationship with Tim was one of the worst ideas in DC’s entire history.

3 Likes

yep basically. Tim got off alright-ish development wise, but that was primarily because most of his development was happening in the robin book anyway, and Bart and kon were alright because they were dead

But Cassie and Rose definitely were regressed, and I wholly agree with you on Cassie being basically an entirely different character under McKeever- I don’t usually like to claim that, but here it’s just so bad.

And yeah the thing with Tim was…unfortunate. And honestly, I wouldn’t have even minded it (they’re my two favorite DC characters, and I always liked the mutual respect they had for each other) but once the relationship actually started to look up for the characters it was ended, so it was a whole lot of ‘why did I read about this disaster if it all just ended up falling apart once it had a semblance of improvement?’ But yeah, I don’t disagree with it on principle, but in practice it was rather frustrating and just not that enjoyable to read. (So I wouldn’t call it one of the worst ideas dc has had, they’ve had far worse, but the execution was just…not that good)

2 Likes

I enjoy Johns run.

4 Likes

The original New Teen Titans run with Wolfman and Perez was the run that got me into comics oh so many years ago.

3 Likes

I’m thinking about starting from the issues in 1980 before the crisis and reading all of the way through his run. It would be a commitment though.

1 Like

Wolfman and Perez’s run is so iconic, but my favorite to read is Geoff John’s run, it’s a total roller coaster and is one of my favorite run’s of all time!

5 Likes

So… should I read all of the New Teen Titans, from both before and after the Crisis, or 03?

1 Like

Well I’m sure I’m gonna get some terrible replies for this but, I’ve only really read Wolfman/Perez and Dan Abnett’s runs and I’m gonna have to go with Abnett.
No disrespect to Wolfman/Perez but, the first 4 volumes were torture to get through. But when it picked up it PICKED UP! I just love Abnett’s run all the way through that’s all. I was so mad with what editorial did to them at the end there.

2 Likes