favorite single issue of a comic?

Shadow of the Bat #13. Breyfogle art and good insight into Bruce’s mission.

@golddragon71 JLA 37 is hilarious.

The issue of Hitman where Tommy gives Superman a pep talk

1 Like

The issue of Hitman where Tommy gives Superman a pep talk

Early 2000s Superman, he rescues a Soviet nuke sub. Years later, the Captain is now retired and farming. He’s also dying of cancer from radiation exposure. Superman ploughs and later harvests his field. A one off story with no big bad, and just such a great example of who Superman is.

1 Like

Batman 232. Ras. Denny O’Neil. Neal Adams. Cover almost glows the dark. Everything “clicked” on this comic.

Final issue of The Great Darkness Saga in Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heros. Legion of Substitute Heros get some story time, battle between Darksiders and Orion and the origin of Validus. After all these year-I still love it

1 Like

House of secrets 1st app of Patchwork Man

1 Like

While technically it was a Wildstorm comic, I don’t think of it that way at all. That would be The Boys #1. Me and a couple friends were at Wizard World Chicago 2007 I think and a friend had bought issues 1-6, while we were eating lunch I read that first issue and immediately fell in love with the violence, humor, and obscenity. After we ate, I went back and bought the first trade.

1 Like

nu52 Batman #27 - A sort of anniversay anthology, much better than Batman #1000
Morrison’s The Green Lantern #7 - Great depiction of Hal and the more mystic side of the GL mythos
Batman Special (1984) - Introduces The Wrath, the first (and best) of the “Batman but a criminal” villains
Azrael Annual #2 (1996) - A fantastical retelling of the Knights____ Saga
Sinestro: Future’s End - A fitting flash forward and character development
Mister Miracle Special (1987) - Just really good

1 Like

For me it’s gotta be Wonder Woman Rebirth Annual #1. It’s showcasing of what makes Wonder Woman so great at her core is what solidified her as my favorite superhero.
<3 <3 <3

1 Like

Some real long and hard thinking needs to happen to come up with a definite issue. But right off the top of the head I’m going to say…

The Brave & the Bold #33 (2007 series). Zatanna & Diana take Babs for a night on the town, the day before she is shot by the Joker. Hits hard.

3 Likes

@OldManJonah That’s from JMS’ run, right?

1 Like

@Vroom correct.

1 Like

Action Comics #775. A glimpse of Big Blue without a moral compass.

1 Like

Brightest Day #20, because i love my aquafamily and that is definitely Mera’s best moment (which is what cemented her as my fav dc character)

2 Likes

My favorite single issue is Batman and Robin #18 “Requiem” (New52). Dealing with the aftermath of Robin’s death with not a single printed word, panel after panel was a psychological visual safari. The way they showcased Batman’s grief, anger, and frustration was extremely heartfelt and its an issue I will never forget.

I’ve been thinking about this, and so far I have to go with Detective Comics #826 by Paul Dini. Nobody writes a oneshot like Dini, and that’s his best oneshot that I’ve read. The pacing and tension are flawless.

Honorable Mentions, in no particular order (spoilers below):
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #63 by Denny O’Neil: The conclusion to Knightfall. The way Bruce gets through to Jean-Paul Valley by quite literally showing him the light is so much more satisfying that just beating him in a fight would’ve been.

Detective Comics #651 by Chuck Dixon: This is the one the Batman: The Animated Series episode “A Bullet for Bullock” was based on. I don’t remember the episode too well, but the issue is great.

Nightwing #25, also by Chuck Dixon: Nightwing and Robin hang out on a train, beat up some robbers, and talk about life. It’s fun. Also, it’s the start of the “Dick becomes a cop” story arc, which was cool, unique direction and shouldn’t have been dumped the way it was in the following run.

Nightwing #51, still by Chuck Dixon: Tad’s origin. Really gets into his head. It’s both sympathetic and really disturbing.

Birds of Prey #8 by guess who?: Nightwing takes Oracle to the circus. Just fun character stuff.

Birds of Prey #73 by Gail Simone: Oracle vs. Brainiac. It’s awesome.

The Flash (1987) #79 by Mark Waid: Another conclusion-of-a-storyline-I-like one. Wally’s confrontation with Professor Zoom is great.

JLA #19 by Mark Waid: Conclusion of one of Mark Waid’s early guest arcs from the middle of Grant Morrison’s run (which is otherwise overrated). Just has a lot of great moments in it. It’s got some fun, silver agey twists and silliness but some genuine drama as well.

1 Like

Oh! I forgot Batman: The Long Halloween #13! I’ll still file that in the honorable mentions, but I’m a sucker for a good twist ending, and I like how the conclusion actually makes you think through the preceding twelve issues to figure out a theory for what happened.

1 Like

Wonder Woman Rebirth #51 exemplifies why i love Wonder Woman