favorite lex luthor/thoughts on eisenberg luthor

@DigificWriter, yes, I agree.

@SFChris, that’d be cool. He’s been good in everything I’ve seen him in.

2 Likes

Michael Rosenbaum was the best and most interesting version of Lex for me.

4 Likes

@SFChris
I love Elba’s acting. He would make a very interesting Lex Luthor. Definitely worth seeing!

4 Likes

Right???
I know it’s a near-impossible long shot, but the more I think of it, the more I’d like to see an Idris Lex Luthor.
(Doesn’t help that I have a legit mancrush on him.)

2 Likes

Idris would be a way better John Stewart or Martin Manhunter

2 Likes

Michael Rosenbaum is my favorite live action Lex so far. Im willing to give Eisenberg’s version a chance to develop but im far from sold on him at the moment.

Rosenbaum is by far the best Luthor. As far as Eisenberg goes, I think he did fine with what he was given which was a bad script and bad idea. I personally would love to see Mahershala Ali as Lex Luthor.

1 Like

@Ragdoll - As John Stewart is my dream casting, I think it’s a perfect fit. (Have pitched the idea in a couple of other threads, so sign me up again!)

And Vigilante, I really dig the Mahershala suggestion. I can easily see that working well.

1 Like

First off, he’s Alexander Luthor, Lex’s son. With that out of the way, let’s move on.

Let’s start off with this Luthor’s motivation for hating Superman; his dad’s consistent abuse. It’s fairly obvious that he still resents his father (even after he killed him) for the emotional and physical abuse. Such resentment colors can color a person’s worldview.

The other piece of this puzzle is even in the DCEU, Luthor is a humanist. He believes in the greatness of humanity. And he believes in his greatness most of all.

Superman is viewed by many as a God or a demigod, at least. This threatens Luthor greatly. In his own mind, this lowers him down. Plus, this makes him feel vulnerable; it reminds him of no greater being to help him in his pain and anguish.

1 Like

Eisenberg as Lex was masterclass

1 Like

There’s a juicy rumor that Eisenberg’s Luthor was based on his impression of Max Landis — the young, bombastic and controversial screenwriter who you may know as the author of Superman: American Alien.

I vote for Rosenbaum for class president of the best Luther club!

1 Like

all these defenses i see still don’t change my opinion, i already knew it was his son, but it was still bad, plus i didn’t see his “faith in humanity”. the twitches weren’t a good idea and he didn’t seem that smart or egotistical like lex should be. Plus lex luthor is white it’s not racist lol

My favorite incarnations of Lex Luthor are Michael Rosenbaum’s version from Smallville and Clancy Brown’s voice acting work. They both portray Lex as an intelligent, intimidating, cunning, ruthless, composed and arrogant individual.

Eisenberg’s performance felt more like he was auditioning for The Joker or channelling Jim Carrey’s rendition of The Riddler. As a member of the Luthor family and business empire, it seems awkward and out of place because it is just too bizarre and quirky.
I understand that they were trying to make the character a younger modern tech CEO by trying to distance him from the traditional businessman traits. However, tech CEOs share many of the same characteristics as the traditional businessman in addition to being much more vain, self centered, impulsive, snarky, and obsessed with the latest cutting-edge gadgets. Basically a modern tech CEO character would be kind of like an evil Tony Stark, Mark Beaks from the modern Ducktales, or Technical Boy from American Gods.

1 Like

I loved Eisenberg as lex

1 Like

Eisenburg isn’t lex he’s his son …

@Donavynmathies, yes, he was great as Lex :+1: