Favorite DC Comic Book Moment

I think it’s impossible to have one absolute favorite moment.

For me at least. My previously stated favorite was but one of many, many, many wonderful favorites from the comics.

2 Likes

Mine is The Punch. Guy Gardner is a bullying loudmouth until he challenges Batman.

One punch and three days later, readers get new positive attitude Guy.

3 Likes

When Ted Kord got shot in the head.

Boring character.

2 Likes

Agree with @Vroom…many moments have stuck with me. The current one:

spoiler alert

Superman breaking out his 6th dimension prison in Justice League 25. Best Justice League issue I’ve read in a long time.

4 Likes

@moro That might be the defining moment of the current Justice League book. So good!

4 Likes

That moment Raven freed herself from Trigon influence but vanished after killing him. (The new teen titans)

Or of course the Judas Contract the greatest betrayal in DC history

4 Likes

Some more favorites from some of my favorite writers and series:
-Detective Comics #826: Tim Drake tricks the Joker by arguing with him about Marx Brothers references.

-Nightwing smooth-talking his way out of a prison full of homicidal maniacs in Batman: No Man’s land.
-More of a story than a moment, but Nightwing becoming a cop to clean up Bluhaven’s police force from the inside.
-Another “Bat-Family-type plays the Joker like a fiddle” moment: Oracle talking him into telling her how to stop the nukes he launched in an early Birds of Prey issue.

-Speaking of Birds of Prey, the reveal that Brainiac is behind the cult in “Between Dark and Dawn,” and Oracle’s mental battle with the techno-virus later on.

(Three from the same story below)
-“Barry Allen” unexpectedly turning up at Wally West’s house in… I think it was The Flash (1987) #73.
-The first indication that something is amiss: A goon appears to have killed Wally, “Barry” goes nuts on the guy, only for Wally to discover that he’s not angry Wally was “killed,” but that the goon called Wally “the Flash.”
-After “Barry” (actually the Reverse-Flash) is defeated, the reveal that Iris is still alive and will write the book that Thawne used as his source of information.

-While I’m on the subject of Mark Waid, various parts of his JLA run, but particularly the end of the White Martian arc, where Martian Manhunter accidentally woke up all the hypnotized Martians by using a wishing machine to “cure his loneliness,” and at the end Batman chews him out… for thinking he was alone in the first place.
-Slightly earlier, the Justice League threatening the White Martians… by starting to PULL THE MOON OUT OF ORBIT WITH THEM ON IT.

-(Still at least 1/4 Waid) Booster Gold’s return towards the end of 52.
-As much as it sucked, I still have to admit that the Question’s death was really well-done.

-Which provides a convenient segue to The Question #4. Three words: “O Danny boy.”

-Captain Atom (1986) #1: Nathaniel Adam reappears after twenty years, still in the middle of his joke’s punchline: “I’ve been trying to reach you since yesterday!” Lame joke, but clever in context.
-Captain Atom Annual #1: Cap tells Eiling he quits… by BURNING THE MESSAGE INTO MAJOR FORCE’S CHEST AND THROWING HIM THROUGH THE ROOF.

-Wonder Woman’s battle with the Cheetah in Egypt (I think it was Egypt, anyway) in George Perez’s Wonder Woman run.
-On a more somber note, Myndi Mayer’s death.

-“There were two Holiday Killers.” Turns the entire miniseries on its head.

-Cassandra Cain’s final battle with Lady Shiva in the 2000 Batgirl series. Some contrivance was required to get it to that point, but the use of the Lazarus Pit was very clever.

3 Likes

Mine is the panels in the 2003 Batgirl comics when Cass Cain was dancing. The art was so good and the story itself behind it was amazing.

2 Likes

My absolute favorite moment is Superman’s return in Kingdom Come.
And for sonething a little more modern, I’ve got to go with the scene in The Unity Saga where Superman is teaching Jon Kent how to stop a giant space battle without killing anyone! Its a very Superman moment! Also have to make mention of He-Man using the power of Shazam in Injustice vs Masters of the Universe!! THAT was epic.

2 Likes

Hal Jordan knocking Batman on his holier than thou butt in GL: Rebirth

3 Likes

52 #1. Batman has abandoned Gotham City to find himself. A hand pulls the Bat symbol off the spotlight on the roof of the GCPD, and spraypaints an inverted question mark. The Question is revealed as the perpetrator. Batman’s business may be elsewhere, but The Question’s mission in Gotham is just beginning.

“Are you ready?”

4 Likes

Hal killing himself to become a black lantern and embody necron to beat the 1st lantern
The line " I did it 35 mins ago" in watchmen
Superman singing at the right frequency to kill darkseid
When green arrow confronted evil Hal
When green arrow killed Prometheus

1 Like

Definitely the Batman-police chase from The Dark Knight Returns when Batman cripples the guys and says “He’s young his wounds will heal, but he’ll stay scared”

1 Like

My favorite is when Jason Todd was official resurrected by Super Boy Prime

Doomsday dying

When RedRobin (Tim Drake) kneed Jason Todd in the crotch.:sweat_smile: And when Batman one punched GuyGardner and Guy fell to the ground knocked out cold!:joy::rofl:

Justice League Dark #1, from 2011. When Superman, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg get whooped by Enchantress, and everything she did after that…Mind blowing.

When Animal Man met Grant Morrison. One of those consciousness expanding moments that still has real heart to it. It definitely left an impression on me. I think about that moment quite a bit.

1 Like

Almost any encounter between John Constantine and Swamp Thing, Swamp Things hatred of Johnny is usually put on the back burner for whatever insane plan John comes up with to save the world(usually). Also Justice League Dark #22 when John walks out with Shazam and is getting all chummy with him, in order to ultimately steal his powers in an attempt to save the world, since even the regular JDL was corrupted at that point in the story.

3 Likes

When joker turned Batman into the Batman Who Laughs

1 Like