Every Time DC Remembered Hal Jordan Is Jewish

I’d love to see more for sure come on DC

6 Likes

Well I learn something new everyday, I’ve always like Hal Jordan. :grinning:

:0_lc_green_lantern_hal_jordan:

3 Likes

My favorite Jewish genderfluid bisexual polyamorous space tomcat

4 Likes

BREAKING NEWS! I found another crumb of Jewish Hal Jordan, from Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey’s Comic Book Comics #3

5 Likes

And Newman also had one Jewish parent and one Catholic parent, just like Hal! I wonder if Newman inspired that element of Hal’s backstory

3 Likes

Here’s an interesting article:
https://forward.com/culture/478323/green-lantern-jewish-superhero-spiderman-superman-julie-schwartz-paul/

4 Likes

OH MY GOD GUYS

Did ROBOT CHICKEN just reference Hal’s Judaism??? By having him partake in a Jewish mourning tradition?? Considering this show was created by two Jewish guys I’m going to say it was intention but holy crap I can’t believe ROBOT CHICKEN is representing Hal Jordan’s jewish heritage better than the actual DCU

5 Likes

Wow

4 Likes

DC Twitter remembered that Hal Jordan is Jewish!

7 Likes

Well, slap me silly, I never thought about a religious back ground for Hal Jordan, or really any superhero, I knew Simon Baz is Muslim, I mean that was the big emphasis right out the gate.

Never knew Hal is Jewish…

At some point this news has to rock someones world, a Jewish person and a Muslim person both superheros both working as team mates on the same team and are at the very least friendly with each other and respect each other as colleagues.

I guess this sort of opens a debate on superheros and religion, which I don’t really like and do not think is necessary.

But on the other hand, could be interesting for a Black Label story, of, religious leaders confronting society about idolizing superheros, and then said superheros start exposing and arresting corrupt religious leaders across the spectrum, that have broken a bunch of civil laws and managed to hide their crimes from society.

okay so, if Simon Baz is Muslim, Hal is Jewish, what about the other Earth Lanterns?

4 Likes

They are both perfectly capable on handling their teammate having different views. That is the type of great people they are.

3 Likes

I know Kyle Rayner is a Catholic

I think Hal specifically coming from an interfaith household (by Jewish law, he is considered Jewish because of his mom) could be interesting to explore, and I’d like to see his Jewish side get more attention, especially since The Spectre series went HARD on Catholic imagery and themes

And I’d love to see some Jewish-Muslim solidarity with Hal and Simon

5 Likes

Everyone say thank you Grant

4 Likes

Okay, not sure if this should count, but a reference is a reference, so either M Stigmonious knew Hal was Jewish or it’s a coincidence. VERY big thanks to @HubCityQuestion for tracking down this incredibly specific request

5 Likes

Guy is also from a Catholic background, and John is Protestant.

5 Likes

Thank you mr question sir

3 Likes

Above, are little Hal and his mom.

7 Likes

WHAT IS THIS FROM?? Is this from the new series??

4 Likes

It’s worth noting that Jewish identity is based on ethnicity and/or religion. Jews are an ethnic group who are indigenous to the Middle East. An ethnically Jewish person is still Jewish if they are an atheist or convert to another religion. I love that Hal is Jewish in the comics and GL:TAS!

4 Likes

With Chanukah beginning tonight, it’s worth remembering Green Lantern: The Animated Series #8. It’s both the best Chanukah special I’ve read in a mainstream superhero comic and one of the best examples of Jewish representation in superhero comics! :menorah: :star_of_david: :00_lc_green_lantern: :00_lc_green_lantern1: :0_lc_green_lantern_hal_jordan: :potato: :doughnut:

6 Likes