Every Book in DC's Infinite Frontier Era

@casasstrophe,

In case you didn’t know, back-up stories were quite common throughout the Silver and Bronze Ages. Back-ups were often used to introduce new characters/concepts that might not otherwise support their own books, thus providing readers with more bang for the buck. However, back-ups fell out of favor as the miniseries/maxiseries format became more common and popular with readers (circa mid-1980s).

During the 1980s, in particular, several of DC’s fan-favorite characters received notable back-up series:

• Firestorm: multi-issue back-up in The Flash; Firestorm then graduated to his own series once again (Fury of Firestorm).
  • Dr. Fate: multi-issue back-up back-up in The Flash; these stories were reprinted in the Immortal Dr. Fate miniseries.
  • Huntress (Helena Wayne): long running back-up in Wonder Women; Huntress was supposed to receive her own miniseries, but she was killed-off in Crisis On Infinite Earths.
  • Arion: multi-issue back-up in The Warlord; Arion then graduated to his own series.

4 Likes

This is the first I heard about Jimmy Olsen getting a back-up story in Superman. Do we have info on the writer and artist?

EDIT: OK. I finally found it. It is Tales of Metropolis rather than Jimmy Olsen-specific, although Olsen appears to be the POV character through whom the stories are told. It will be written by Sean Lewis with art by Sami Basri.

Does Future State and the beginning of Infinite Frontier mark the end of the DC Rebirth era?

Yes. Rebirth ends with Death Metal. Future State is kinda an interlude between Rebirth and the new Era of comics. But Future State doesn’t rely much at all on Rebirth and is mostly doing it’s own thing and/or setting up Infinite Frontier.

Very cool - thanks. I’ve never been an active reader for a reboot/relaunch but have gone back and read them after the fact. Excited to follow this new era of DC as it happens! (Well, six months after it happens thanks to DCUI!)