Doom Patrol Original Piece

Personally, my favorite iteration of the Doom Patrol was the original silver age version by Arnold Drake and Bruno Premiani. They just look so heroic when compared to later versions of the characters. In part I think simply putting them in team uniforms automatically boosted their hero feel. So I redesigned them and put them back in team uniforms but made them purple since it seems like a kind of weird color. Robot man and Negative man have dropped the jackets that make them look like mascots for hot topic and Robot man is much bigger than usual and looks action-ready! All around the piece represents what I would do with the series if I wrote a run: Taking them back to their silver age light-heartedness but mix more action and heroics in. Tell me what you think of my piece and also let me know if you prefer a gritty, Morrison Doom Patrol or a high-spirited, Drake one.

15 Likes

I love this! I love the silver age with all the campiness which this is evocative if with the bold colors and exaggerated characteristics. Great choices for a great piece!

3 Likes

Radical!!! I love it!!

2 Likes

This is one of the best things I’ve seen. Like everything is just wow

2 Likes

Love & Doom that’s pretty cool!

I dig all Doom Patrol stories - silver age up until now, but the Morrison run does hold a special place in my heart.

3 Likes

This is really great! When I first saw it I thought for sure it was a poster you’d bought. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This looks like something straight out of the comic. That’s Awesome™:+1:

2 Likes

Maybe if DC hires me it could be a poster :man_shrugging:t5::thinking:

1 Like

Thanks! Probably the biggest focus for me personally when it comes to art is giving everything character and using bold colors!

2 Likes

And I love you for taking the time to look at it! :fist:t5:

1 Like

Thanks, man! I always strive to give my art a professional quality to it despite not yet doing comic art as a profession (hopefully that changes tho. DC hire me plz :joy:)

2 Likes

Lol imo Morrison’s run was sometimes weird just to be weird and not to be interesting like the silver age books but I can totally see why ppl dig it :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks so much, man!

1 Like

Awesome

2 Likes

Dude that’s INSANELY Awesome! Nice work!!!

2 Likes

Very good

2 Likes

This is just so cool

1 Like

thanks man! you’re just so cool for taking the time to check it out

1 Like

Thanks, dude!

2 Likes

Call em how I see em! And that’s legit an F-Ton more skill than I got! :joy:

2 Likes