Doom Patrol Ep. #9 "Jane Patrol" Discussion Thread: Spoiler Zone! šŸšØ

Robotman is awesome

2 Likes

I loved this episode and how Jane was not the only one to deal with something huge in it.

I have often found that, like Robotman, I end up coming out better in the end when I ā€œdive inā€ after a friend who needs my help.

Great episode.

1 Like

Sorry forgot upload this earlier but this is my Review on this weeks episode with a little different introduction video take just experimenting.

@snoutmasterd I am right there with you brother. Both of my wives had some PTSD and demons they were fighting via repressed memories and this episode hit me hard too. Like crying hard. It was beautifully written and incredibly difficult to watch at times, but Iā€™ve never seen this kind of thing addressed before in a television show with the care and forwardness that they put into this. I wish my wife would watch it, but unfortunately she is currently in the ā€œbury her head in the sandā€ stage and I think it would be hard on her. Like Jane though, you canā€™t be forced, sometimes you just have to wait untill you are ready to tell that sick man you arenā€™t afraid of him anymore. I also loved and hated the fact that it didnā€™t have a fully happy ending. Cause life isnā€™t that way, you arenā€™t fixed by one miraculous revelation. This stuff will be there with you till the day you die and it shapes you into the person you are, itā€™s a constant struggle.

5 Likes

Not my favorite show of the DP, but fascinating like every episode of this series. I guess because she has 65 personalities, the entire show was dedicated to Jane, unlike other episodes that explore the other DP characters but also cuts into other, and often humorous, DP superhero/detective and team work scenes (Example, Danny the street, a show about the street AND marrying Jane, AND dancing Robot Cliff and Kid.

The Jane characters and her memories are so interesting, I wish more time was spent with some or more of them. I guess the obvious horrific ending was one I wanted to avoid thus my desire to put it off.

One thing I love about this show is the effort the writers/directors/FX staff put into the imagery of the show and really using this visual medium to the best. Using both cheap (scarecrow in the jail) and more advanced complicated effects, like making the father out of puzzle pieces. It allows the viewer to interpret what and how they want.

The symbolic puzzle pieces that made up the father, that flew into the well can be viewed in so many ways and reminds me of one of my favorite earlier episodes when Cyborg guns down the ninjas and they burst into floating unread lettersā€¦wowā€¦

1 Like

This one went to dark places with honesty and depth. It is by far the best episode of the series. It very much reminded me of the twisted S5 episode of Angel where Spike is mistaken for a pedophile and his hands are cut off. This episode was even darker and scarier than anything we have seen in the DCUniverse.

1 Like

Donā€™t hate me because Iā€™m being the devilā€™s advocate, but I mentioned in previous entry that this is not my favorite show, when it is obvious that it is for everyone else on this thread.

While very good, and better than a lot of whatā€™s on TV, especially other DC shows on the CW, this episode is basically a story of a fractured person trying to come to terms with an horrifically abusive parent. The effect of this episode on the fans reminds me of the Oscars, which is always given to super super dramatic stories, never to comedies or drama-comedies.

A drama-comedy, for me, is more true to real life, and why the theatre is represented by laughing and crying masks. It is why Jane is starting to bug me, she is always one-noteā€¦down, angry and mad.

It is also the reason that, for me, Danny the Street is now my favorite episode by farā€¦superseding other favorite episodes. It has it all: joy, happiness, anger, song, dance, fight scenes, fear, redemption, loss, heartbreak, first, second, last love, gender-bending, a kid, even future in-laws all in one hour!!! If u didnā€™t know the Danny story, you would be guessing every scene. Iā€™ve already watched it 3 times and learn something new every time. Iā€™ll only watch the Underground episode once. There is no surprise with the Underground story. The only surprise is the incredibly unique way to present a story that, unfortunately happened, is happening and will happen, over and over.

Commenting general, Iā€™ve been enjoying the Doom Patrol series. Itā€™s a unique take on the characters and does a good job examining what troubles them as they each cope with their situations.

I do hope to see the main storyline about the Chiefā€™s whereabouts and what Mr. Nobody is up to take a bigger stage in the coming weeks, though. Thatā€™s mostly because I love Alan Tudyk and Timothy Daltonā€™s work, though ā€“ but I will say you can only do so much with exploring the ideas behind a character and the journey toward becoming a superhero, before you need to get back to your overarching story.

2 Likes

Great episode! They are all great! I hope they get a season 2. Itā€™s the best show they have, all things considered.

2 Likes

Wellā€¦it had to happen, after 8 episodes of pretty much thumbs ups consistently, this one is Probably the worst episode for me. It seemed to try way to hard to press into Janeā€™s personality. That being said I like the idea of it, having her ā€˜undergroundā€™ be a literal railroad and underground labyrinth was cool, but like many things, its good on paper, but poorly executed. Iā€™m trying to think and put to words what didnā€™t really land well with me and I suppose itā€™s just Jane herself. All of the other cast, when they all had their personal back stories shown they didnā€™t come across as whiny or blatant sob stories. Janeā€™s felt like they were sort of artificially giving her all of these ā€˜heavyā€™ issues, but it just felt too much like a laundry list of things that weā€™re supposed to feel bad for her. Again, I like the idea of her having all her personalities always ā€˜votingā€™ for who has to be on ā€˜the surfaceā€™. Really brilliant actually and gives us a reason why her ā€œbitchā€ personality is so dominant. I also enjoyed the fact that all her personalities literally have their own look. Again I have such a divisive view of Janeā€¦I love how the actress portrays herā€¦I like the idea of her multiple personailties, but I donā€™t like her as a character, being just a way to shoe horn drama and tension and anger in the group. It feels like after nearly 60 years together, they should have gotten to the bottom of this, or had this out already as a group, before Cliff even got thereā€¦

Anyway, I didnā€™t really love the episode, BUT that is literally 1 episode out of 9 thatā€™s a dud for me, so if thatā€™s the ratio for this series, I have NO problem with that! As long aas this doesnā€™t turn into the Jane Show, Iā€™m A-OK!

Glad Black Annis made a showing, I was afraid she was going to be forgotten. Loving The direction of the show in comparison to Grant Morrisonā€™s work, Iā€™d love to see Dorothy Spinner and The Candlemaker come along. As well as much as I love the casting and performance of Rita Farr Iā€™d prefer she go. Turning into a blob is just not her and too much of a handicap to the time, if need be have her merge with Larry rather than Eleanor for Rebis.

Horizon_Brave if you remember itā€™s established in the first episode that not only does Jane come and go unlike Larry, Rita and Cliff but that Cliff meets Jane for the first time in 2019. And Cliff has been fully operational for 20+ years at that point. And I would be willing to bet every time things got hard she would leave and when she would come back she would basicly be starting over.

I thought this episode adapted issue 30 of the Grant Morrison run almost perfectly. The one thing I wonder about is James personality count. We find out that Miranda went to the well and no longer exists so does that mean that she no longer has 64 personalities or was Miranda the 65th personality shall we say.

I also think Cliff forces Jane to deal with her issues I guess you could say. And I donā€™t mean force in a negative way. Like why was the Cliff memory giving her hope buried so deep? Was it just because of what happens with Cliff in episodes 3 and 7 or does he makes Jane feel emotions that she canā€™t handle that makes her want to forget rather than deal with them. Also Karen told Cliff multiple times he just doesnā€™t get it. So does this mean Jane has romantic feelings for Cliff or does she see him as a father figure. While I may be reading to much into it I think itā€™s romantic feelings. I say that because I think she sees the Chief as the father figure. The Chief being gone clearly upsets Jane then sheā€™s feels super betrayed after she realizes he had plans to hide her away and basically deal with her. But things with Cliff seem different I mean as soon as they meet she seems to be trying to help Cliff deal with his problems be it dealing with his daughterā€™s birthday or going along with Cliff to stop Mr Nobody. Not to mention it seems like some of the personalities seem to like Cliff.

I kinda with this story had been split into two episodes. I just canā€™t get enough of Cliff and Jane. And unlike some I like Jane more and more and outside of being good at pushing people away I can only try to understand what somebody like Jane has gone through.

3 Likes

Jane has been a bit polarizing for me because she doesnt get called out nearly as much or as hard as rita, larry, or cliff. One of her buggest issues for me being how she acted during therapy patrol just cause she didnt want the rest to continue. Sure cliff was definitely not the best to lead the session(admiral whiskers aside) but cliff was right to call her out for dropping a bomb and then walking away.

However after watching this episode a few times i can at least appreciate the attempt to have us the audience finally get a bit of a real grasp of how jane operates. Even though i feel they could have drawn a bit more attention to her unnecessarily abrasive response to her team mate more. I think the storytelling here though did better than doom patrol patrol did at going from humor to horror. And where i felt the negative spirit was kinda deus ex in doom patrol patrol here it makes sense that the spirit could connect two peopleā€™s mind. I think some personalities deserved more focus or at least a better explanation (who else did not expect an 80ā€™s throwback look for flit based on the few times weā€™ve seen her.). I am a huge fan of Brendan Fraser and getting to see him back in action is always a treat but cliffā€™s own growth in this episode was well worth it too. He stops viewing himself as damaged by his change and realizing his change actually started to make him a better person.

The group feels far different now than they did when you go back to earlier episodes. And this episode makes use of those changes well. Such as the beginning where cyborg openly states how an outlandish idea would be useful at this time and larry is actively involved both as himself and the negative spirit where he would normally act callous. Rita being so hurt by Janeā€™s predicament shows how she has changed especially when Rita tends to get the harshest of responses from Jane(ironic that hammerhead of all personalities would be the one to ask for help). The fact that you can pin point and see these changes is testament to how well written and paced doom patrol is as a series. I hope we get more doom patrol seasons cause this might just be dcā€™s best live action series and maybe the best comic book adaptation to date.

3 Likes

To be honest, Iā€™m so proud of Diane. Itā€™s great to see a fellow Colombian playing something other than a drug dealer or a prostitute. Along with Carlos Valdez(team flash), Iā€™m happy to see latinos playing important roles on the screen. #MiGente #aplausos#takeabow

10 Likes

I honestly canā€™t say wether Danny Patrol or Jane Patrol is my favorite episode so far. They are both so good for so many different reasons and they both deal with characters (Danny The Street) and concepts (The Underground) which I thought would be impossible to pull off very well in live action. And both episodes completely proved me wrong. Both Danny The Street and the Underground felt real. And I really appreciate that Jane Patrol dealt with Janeā€™s PTSD and multiple personalities resultining from the trauma of childhood sexual abuse without showing too much. Showing anything more wouldā€™ve been unnecessary and insensitive to survivors of childhood sexual abuse. I love that the Doom Patrol is an adult show dealing with mature themes in a thoughtful way. Itā€™s probably the best thing on tv/streaming. Period.

3 Likes

Iā€™m 70 and bought MGA with the 1st DP story, and, when I got the DC app, had no idea that DP would appear. It was amazingly wonderful to see Cliff the way heā€™s portrayed by Brendan Fraser. Heā€™s the heart of the team, a tragic figure with no desire for heroism, who is one of the purest heroes in all of comics, and is in every version of the Doom Patrol.

Every performance is top-notch, the casting has been dead-on, the production and all other aspects have made this Siver Ager decide that DP is the best damn thing I have watched in a long damn time

And to think that I got the DC app for the animation. Spending a lot of time here.

And, for anyone who doesnā€™t know about PLANETARY, read it from 1-27 in order. On the same level in its own way as WATCHMEN. Right here on the DC app.

3 Likes

Jane Patrol is easily my favorite episode of the season. Loved seeing the Underground and seeing all of the personalities. Jane, Cliff, and Vic are my favorite characters. I love the father/daughter type relationship, Cliff and Jane have. Through their relationship Cliff is learning to be a better man and learning to be a father figure to Jane, whereas Jane is learning that not all men are like her monster of a biological father and she can trust Cliff and the other members of Doom Patrol. Overall Iā€™ve been enjoying Doom Patrol. As I said Jane Patrol is my favorite episode so far, whereas Danny Patrol is my least favorite episode.

1 Like

I always find it interesting how characters click differently with people. Like I find Larry Trainor the least interesting member while at the same time I finally like Cyborg. I donā€™t really find the comic version of Negative Man/Rebid interesting either. I think my love for Jane has more to do with Diane Guerreroā€™s performance than the character. Like the comic version of Jane is less interesting and Cliff is my favorite member of the comic Doom Patrol.

1 Like

What a good time this was! I am definitely rewatching multiple times. Thanks DCU!

2 Likes

@LPCustom76 Yep, itā€™s great to see how characters can land with some people but not with others. Like I really canā€™t stand the character of Jane, but I love Larry and Rita. Perhaps their stories hit closer to home for me. Whatā€™s great though about shows that are ā€˜team basedā€™, is that because of the amount of characters, there can be some that land well with people and others may not