Doom Patrol Ep. #4 Discussion Thread: Spoiler Zone! 🚨

Lovedd this episode!
Especially the Robotman and Jane scene towards the end about identity. :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

Jane/personalities and Robotman are so great together!

Cyborg in action was cool

Rise of Elasti Woman!

5 Likes

Jane is finally using her powers awesome

3 Likes

I was like Mark Sheppard and Matt bomer work together on white collar together then realized its only Matt’s voice

While I would very much like to see Matt Ryan’s Constantine on the DCU, Mark Sheppard’s Kipling would be a suitable substitute.

4 Likes

Overall good episode but I can’t help but feel someone slighted…this could have been amazing if it were actually Constantine here…not this poor man’s hellblazer… literally everything done here is what Constantine has…Smokes, check…trench coat, check…they could and should have just gone the extra mile and put him in. Now if they do introduce him later down the road his ‘thunder’ will have been sort of stolen. I really think this was a missed opportunity to tie in Swamp Thing, John Constantine and the more ‘darker’ side of DC. Other than that though, strong episode, very fun.

2 Likes

yeah, I personally love Doom Patrol, and 4 eps in I feel like it has potential to be my fave super hero show of all time, BUT, I really wish it was Constantine and not Willoughby. Would have been so cool!

Loving the show. I also love Constantine, but I am very happy that the show used Kipling, a character created as a Constantine replacement in the comics (if I’m not mistaken).

Great cast. Great writing. Great everything.

3 Likes

So…did Cliff “feel” when he was shocked? It seemed like he felt the jolt. Brain impulse?

2 Likes

I would assume the brain inside felt it. I am sure especially since he is made of metal I would assume it would conduct it. Also could have maybe overloaded his system… thought I don’t know much about his system I assume it has some wiring.

2 Likes

Yeah…maybe alternate dimension stuff happening too? Almost felt happy for him for at least feeling (dangerous amounts of electricity).

I argue he felt something when he brutalized the Nazis. Otherwise why would he do it? And he immediately felt regret. I don’t know if he felt anything in cult world… I will look at it when I rewatch it later this week.

Also, I forgot to mention this before, but I also really like how Cliff sort of is a stand in for us. Whenever something weird or bizarre happens, he’s always very vocal about just how absurd the situation is. Everyone else just seems to go with it, but he always has this “What the FUCK IS THIS??” outlook which is hilarious…

3 Likes

The dialogue in this show is top shelf stuff. The over-arcing themes of control and fear are present in every scene. I’m really looking forward to seeing what The Chief stole back from the Nazi Scientist (which I would guess was stolen from Morden’s boss originally). Jane not being the core persona kind of hit me in the feels in the last episode, too.

This one had two key lines that I felt summed things up nicely.

“Is anything going to make sense today?”
“Don’t question the magic.”

2 Likes

Oh…and did Trainor commit suicide after the accident and the Negative spirit is keeping him alive? The spirit referred to torture to stay in Trainor and also let “the book” decide for himself about suicide. Of course, that could also just be in line with the Negative spirit’s apparent belief that lying is BS.

1 Like

@DoomPatrolFan
You bring out a lot of great points!
That is a VERY interesting question about Negative Man. I have to say, now that you mention it, I would not be surprised, as it seems to fit nicely into his storyline… on just about every level.

I also like your point about control and fear.

The themes of “control” are very present in this series, and each character does seem to be struggling with something they are afraid to face respectively.
We have been discussing it mostly in terms of “identity” (in the “Behind the Mask” discussion threads), but it is very interesting to look at it in the more general sense as well!
And the “control” struggle was real in this last episode!

2 Likes

Am I the only who felt really taken out of the show when Hammerhead accosted Cliff? I mean at the end of the day this is a show about a bunch of flawed people trying their best to save the day. The whole “Toxic Male” line really seemed so hamfisted to me. Not saying the characters are outside of the concept of introspection but they could’ve handled that a bit better while also carrying the same message.

@Gondule
I see what you’re saying, but I think a lot of it comes up with the fact that because we’ve seen messages put into other forms of media, that now we’re almost looking for them everywhere. That being said it did stick out like a sore thumb… I mean of all the reasons for her to bring up, she is crazy jane, it could have been something so off the wall and random, it would have felt actually more natural. But to bring up something so… hmmm “normal” did seem weird. But I don’t think it was an intentional way to put a message into the scene and the show, but I think just a very poor choice of reasons for her to have been angry.

@redalice365 oh, for sure Cliff feels emotions, I just meant physical, tactile anything, which eluded him before

Am I the only one who smells Rebis a-cookin’?