Does DC Rely Too Much on Batman?

The question in the title says it all.

I was at my LCS today, and a fellow DC Fan brought up just that. What is DC going to do, if Batman fans just get tired of Batman?

I personally do not think fans will ever get tired of Batman stories, but I do see on the shelves a ton of Batman stories. I feel like DC could literally break Batman off into his own separate comic company like a legit Batman Incorporated.

Is Batman the go to character when things get slow?

I personally like the plethora of Batman stories to choose from. My favorite version is Worlds Finest where Dick Grayson is still Robin and is teamed up with Batman.

Thoughts?!

6 Likes

Nope. I will always be here.

7 Likes

I been reading a lot of Batman comics as of late, so I would say stories involving the Bat-family in Gotham city I like. Stories where he appears in Monkey King and OMAC did not care for.

5 Likes

When it comes to movies, yes. Before @MatthewHecht start yelling at me, let me just say, he has been in so many movies and comics which are great, BUT…I would love to see more of him in a live action TV series, hopefully it can be done in a right way.:slightly_smiling_face:

:batman:

5 Likes

In the comics, not of late. With Dawn of DC, DC has been putting out a lot of non-Batman stuff. The books and universe feel much more well rounded than the last couple years. Writing and art have been quite good too, generally speaking. It’s up to us, the fans, to respond to that. I know my digital subscription list hasn’t been this big in years. Things seem to be going well so far this year, so hopefully it lasts.

In general yeah, he’s been the flagship DC character for some time now. The most books, movies, merchandise… you see a DC logo somewhere there’s usually a Bat-something next to it. People say Batman sells, and of course he actually does sell, but DC could do a better job of pushing and marketing their other characters, and like I said in my first paragraph, it does feel like they’re making serious efforts lately.

7 Likes

Well said sir. I couldn’t have put it any better. So I won’t even try. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you :pray:

3 Likes

I completely agree!

4 Likes

glad some people like it all I ever hear is endless complaining on youtube

4 Likes

Does DC rely too much on Batman?

Yes.

Kinda like the X-Men or Wolverine over at Marvel. Too many X-Men comics and too much Wolverine in other comics. Wolverine should not be both an X-Man and an Avengers.

3 Likes

no one ever talks about that on youtube but with to much batman they never shut up

3 Likes

Both the X-Men and Batman had/have a separate editorial team from the rest of their respective lines. Hence, the X-Men and Batman offices. Tells me they’re milking those properties more than the rest of the lines.

3 Likes

Does DC rely on Batman a lot?

Hell yes.

Does DC rely on Batman too much?

I’m not sure. Without Batman, there are still a lot of other amazing DC characters that would keep a hold of comic fans’ attention.

3 Likes