Death Metal is Almost Here! What Are Your Favorite Metal Songs?

Best death metal is Entombed

3 Likes

This song has been stuck in my head really badly while I’ve been writing the last few weeks.

2 Likes

I never heard of Katatonia though I see their Swedish, and Swedish metal is awesome.

1 Like

It has such a creepy sound to it. I like it!

1 Like

Loving the guitars on this!

2 Likes

My favorite tracks off the last album

3 Likes

Their style is like Dream Theater. The slower song but the harder edge.

2 Likes

The guitars on Takeover are something else.

2 Likes

One more

2 Likes

I like Japanese metal. Maximum the Hormone and Nightmare are some of my favorites because of the intro and credits songs on Death Note. I also like Metallica, Dragon Force, Skillet, and Disturbed. The World and Alumina are my Favorites from Nightmare, and What’s Up, People?! and Zetsubō Billy from Maximum the Hormone.

3 Likes

Beauty In Tragedy by August Burns Red
The Sound Of Truth by As I Lay Dying
A Boy Brushed Red by Underoath

4 Likes

I’m all over the place when it comes to music. metal, in particular. I’m also an 80’s kid, so that decade is very much a goto for me. Some favorites:

Wanderlust by Nightwish
Creeping Death by Metallica
Senza Fine by Lacuna Coil (title might be one word)
One Shot at Glory by Judas Priest (really every song by Priest since they are a top fave)
Cry of the Blackbirds by Amon Amarth
K.I.N.G. by Satyricon
My Apocalypse by Arch Enemy
Hordes of Chaos by Kreator
Hate Worldwide by Slayer
Blood of my Enemies by Manowar (another top fave ergo almost every song)
Welcome to Dying by Blind Guardian
Take No Prisoners by Megadeth

Other notable bands: Overkill, Tyr, Motorhead, Disturbed, Volbeat, Nevermore, Iced Earth (despite overplaying them), Testament, Trivium, Lamb of God

4 Likes

Since you seem to initially be into the power metal side of things, I would recommend Gloryhammer. An over-the-top, costumed, tongue-in-cheek band with catchy sing-alongs featuring undead unicorns destroying Scottish villages with fireballs. War Kings would also work as a band with this same idea; except they sing about Spartans and Gladiators and not so much undead unicorns.

My personal favorite metal band at the moment is Revocation, which is a death / thrash / tech outfit. They might require more exposure and familiarity with metal to work for you.

3 Likes

It’s kind of light, but Metallica S&M is one of my favorite albums ever. No Leaf Clover is awesome. I also love some Rob Zombie.
I’m not a fan of hardcore, screaming metal because to me it’s just noise. Sorry.

3 Likes

I just assumed I was a snob: if i cannot understand your vocals, you’ve already lost me.

2 Likes

So you won’t listen to music in a language you don’t know?

Let me clarify: if your vocals are going to be so growly that i cannot understand the words you wrote. it won’t matter how good the music is. This would also apply to foreign languages being sung the same way. If i cannot understand even a word here or there, why did you bother writing lyrics in the first place? Ideally, the voice should sound like another instrument, but because it is the vocals, the words set to the music need to be present as well.

Tyr (pronounced Tweer) (the ‘y’ is the closest equivalent of the charcter they use) has a few numbers in their native tongue (whatever they speak in the Faroe islands) and i like a lot of it.

Anima Sola is from South America and sings in Spanish. 90s-ish if i recall. Something for the power metal contigency to check out.

Manowar did a cover of Nessun Dorma (i forget the composer, all i know is that is from some filthy* opera) and just to be in true Manowar fashion, the singer had to end the song with a metal scream. Because after all that beautiful Italian in his magnificent voice, he’s got to drive home how metal they are.

*the use of filthy is a G-rated general catchall to be derogatory, such as an f-bomb expressing disdain or contempt.

1 Like

Dyers Eve or Damage Inc

1 Like

Pretty much every album Slayer has put out is my favorite. Other than that, I’m pretty hard into Trivium at the moment :metal:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call myself a metal fan (I’m more of a rock kind of guy), but I do know one or three bangers.

-M
3 Likes