DCU Book Club Week 98: BATMAN/THE FLASH: THE BUTTON; Jul 27 - Aug 2

““THE BUTTON” part one! The cataclysmic events of DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH #1 continue here! The Dark Knight and The Fastest Man Alive, the two greatest detectives on any world, unite to explore the mystery behind a certain blood-stained smiley button embedded in the Batcave wall. What starts as a simple investigation turns deadly when the secrets of the button prove irresistible to an unwelcome third party—and it’s not who anyone suspects! It’s a mystery woven through time, and the ticking clock starts here!

Greetings!

This week here at DCUBC we join the DC Universe’s two best detectives to solve a multiverse spanning mystery. Just what is this strange button found in the Batcave? Don’t worry, Batman and The Flash are on the case. I can’t wait to hear what everyone thinks of this week’s book!

Quick note: This crossover is four issues that jump between Batman (2016-) and The Flash (2016-). The story starts with Batman #21 and continues with The Flash #21. Below this is the link where you can find all the necessary issues in the correct order.

How to join the fun:

• Start reading here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read all four issues between 2020-07-27T05:00:00Z2020-08-02T05:00:00Z :alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading Batman/The Flash: The Button?

• What were your expectations prior to reading?

• What did you think of the dynamic Between Bruce and Barry?

• What was your favorite Page or Panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

5 Likes

I really like this collections feature on DCU, it saves so much time with trying to find the correct issues and reading orders for crossovers.

The cover looks fantastic!

1 Like

Been interested in this now I guess this is the time to start reading this series. Looking forward to finally finding out what is up with the button and how it got in the Bat-cave.

We probably couldn’t do it without it, It’s a lifesaver!

No Excuses now :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. No this would be my second time. Still awesome.

2. Going back to my first time I had now expectations. Maybe a little more into the button but hey just some more mystery.

3. I really like there dynamic. It’s detectives but completely different in every way. From there personalities way to fight and believe but still connect to parental trauma and being a hero.

4. My favorite has to be the “end” of Flashpoint Bats. The three pages was an amazing moment.

1 Like

WE RISE

One of my favorite moments as well! Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts!

1 Like

Happy weekend folks! Don’t forget to drop by and let us know what you thought of this week’s book!

Yes first time reading this series.

My expectations were that we would get to see The Watchmen or at least more of their world other than that I didn’t have or know what to really expect form this series.

The dynamic between Barry and Bruce was cool to see. They are both great detectives and they see things differently however it’s not that offer that we get to see both of them interacting with each other but this series definitely gave both of them their time to shine.

So many awesome pages from seeing the button turning into the crest of Superman, to seeing Bruce meet his father and fighting together, to seeing Jay Garrick, but my favorite panel was

because you get to see some of their cool treasures that they have collected throughout their missions.

Thanks @MattMcDonald for finally making me read this noteworthy series.

1 Like

Nope – I read it as it came out and I got it as a deluxe hardcover a while back.

I was expecting some answers to the questions that were brought up in the Rebirth one shot, or at least have our heroes figure out more of the questions that we were asking. I knew we wouldn’t get all of them, because a crossover between Flash and Batman was too low-key for that, but honestly, I was hoping for more than what we got here.

There’s some decent stuff here, but really, in the end it all just feels like spinning the plates that were already in the air and an advertisement for Johns/Frank’s Doomsday Clock.

That said, however, this story does do some stuff for their individual books. The immediate arc after this for The Flash delves heavily in Thawne and his hatred for Barry, and Bruce’s encounter with the Flashpoint Batman and the immediate aftermath became a BIG part of Tom King’s Batman run.

It’s a great dynamic. While they’re both fantastical in different ways, in many respects they’re the closest to grounded, street-level heroes in the League. They both know about loss and dedicating themselves to a cause for it. But they’re different enough that they can clash in interesting ways, while still having respect for each other.

It’s got to be the fight between Batman and Reverse Flash. Tom King has been playing with that Watchmen 9 panel grid a lot, but here I think its where people really started to notice and where he really mastered it. I like how he used it to effectively show the progression of time, how slow it is and how it makes Bruce really have to step it up just to survive. And the cruel twist at the end where Batman is beaten because Barry is always late.

2 Likes

Absolutely, Great choice. I love pages like this where you can really take your time and see all of the cool Easter eggs. Thanks for reading!

“Overtime”

My favorite moment of the book and one of my favorite things King has done. You’re right, he’s mastered the 9 panel grid. Its’ one of the reasons i have so much faith in his upcoming Rorschach book.

All hail the King!

This is my second time reading Batman/Flash the Button. I read it when it originally came out. I actually liked it better the second time reading it. I enjoyed it more this time because I had different expectations.

The first time reading Batman/Flash the Button, I expected more answers about how the button ended up in the batcave and how Dr. Manhattan manipulated time. I was a little disappointed that we didn’t get some more information. I also wanted Jay to be rescued from the speed force. The second time reading this story I did have the same expectations or wishes. So, I was able to enjoy it more. It really is a good story especially for someone who is a flash and batman fan.

I love their friendship and interactions. It is sweet that they are able to relate and help each other deal with their childhood tragedies. Really cool to read about them working together to solve a crime. Two detectives working together. Funny that with all of Barry’s credentials, Bruce still tries to control/second guess him.

For a flash fan, this page is the best

• yes!

• I had no idea what it would be about. I remember the button from the rebirth comic, but I hadn’t ready anything about it since.

• I need more of Bruce and Barry. Their nerding out over forensics was fun to watch.

• My favorite page and panel was any time they ran through the speed force.

Fantastic, fast-paced read - Thawne is fun villain!

Thanks! @MattMcDonald .

Funny you should say that, because Tom King and Josh Williamson actually did another crossover like this later on in their runs, called “The Price.” They don’t work nearly as well, though, since it took place during the events of Heroes in Crisis, and Barry was furious over what happened in Sanctuary.

1 Like

You know, considering that I don’t care much for the world of Flashpoint, let alone the efforts to continue the story of Watchmen without Alan Moore, this story is…decent enough.