DCU Book Club Week 92: SUPERMAN (2016-) Issues 1 - 6; June 15 - June 21

“THE SON OF SUPERMAN” Chapter One The Last Son of Krypton must decide whether to help his young son use his new and rapidly increasing abilities, or hide them from the world. THE CREATORS: The team supreme that brought fans the adventures of Damian Wayne in BATMAN AND ROBIN returns for the adventures of Superman and his offspring.

Greetings!

This week at DCUBC we are celebrating father’s day, by checking out one of my personal favorite father/son duos. Superman and Superboy, Clark Kent and Jon Kent. I love the dynamic between these two, and I think you will too!

Happy Fathers day to all the dads out there!

How to join the fun:

*Start reading here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read all six issues between 2020-06-15T05:00:00Z2020-06-21T05:00:00Z:alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading Son of Superman?

• Who is your favorite father in the DC Universe?

• What do you think of the relationship between Jon and Clark?

• What was your favorite Page or Panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

3 Likes

Can’t wait to hear what everyone thinks about this week’s book!

1 Like

I’ll be interested in the conversation too, because honestly, I’ve read this story a couple of times and I think I’m going to have more of a hot take than most on here…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

One of my favorite arcs from one of my favorite volumes of Superman!

To paraphrase a line from a fun movie: Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, it’s Discussion Questions time!

1. I’ve read The Son of Superman several times, in print and digital. I bought the print singles as they came out, then later acquired the arc digitally.

2. Jonathan Kent. That’s accounting for all versions of him across all media. He’s the consumate dad that embodies everything great about fathers, and what a tremendously positive impact they have in our lives.

Needless to say, Jonathan had a very positive impact on Clark.

1. I love the relationship between Clark and Jon. It’s fun, healthy and inspiring. They clearly love each other and enjoy the time spent with one another.

2. My favorite part was Lois showing up in the Hellbat Armor. While this arc is very much about Jon and Clark, Lois was by no means without her moments either.

Shameless Plug Alert: McFarlane Toys’ Hellbat Armor Batman action figure from series 1 of their DC Multiverse line is available at better retailers nationwide.

Pretend it’s Batman when he went to Apokolips to save Damian during the New 52 volume of Batman and Robin, and/or pretend Lois is inside and reenact her being a badass from The Son of Superman. The point is, as Funky Flashman would say: “Just buy it.” :slightly_smiling_face:

In conclusion, this arc was a great start to the best volume of Superman since volume 2 (the '86-'06 series).

A fantastic, thematically/timely-appropos pick @MattMcDonald! :superman_hv_3: :superman_hv_4:

Beautifully said, and i couldn’t agree more. IMO, He’s is what all fathers should strive to be.

High Praise! Thanks for stopping by and sharing @Vroom Always good to hear from ya!

1 Like

No problemo, @MattMcDonald.

To paraphrase a wise man from an underrated movie:

“You keep writing them, and I’ll keep reading them.”

Happy Saturday folks! Make sure you swing by and let us know what you thought of this week’s book!

Yes first time reading this series.

I would have to say Alfred. I know he is not Bruce’s really father but I think what he has done for Bruce is nothing less than a father figure.

I really enjoyed their relationship. Jon seems to come off the page as an understanding son who wants to follow in his father’s footsteps someday. Clark seemed to want to show Jon that even though he is the son of Superman he will make the crest his own someday. I think it also helps their relationship that Jon didn’t seem to be a tiresome kid with superpowers and one that even as a kid you could relate to on some level.

My favorite panel was

because you ever know when you will need a pair of glasses. :eyeglasses:

Absolutely. He’s hands down one of the best fathers the DCU has to offer.

Agreed. Jon was excellent!

Thanks for reading :heart:

1 Like