DCU Book Club Week 89: SUPERMAN BATMAN (2010-) The Supergirl from Krypton, #8-13, May 25-31

Speaking of uncomfortable fashion, Artemis, what is you wearing?! It looks weird, and being on a tropical island, imagine the tan lines!

Also, consider Batman’s thinking here: “I don’t trust this teenage girl and suspect she might be here to destroy humanity. Let’s have her train with the best warriors on the planet!” Batman the master strategist, everybody! :joy:

Reading this after reading Crisis on Infinite Earths, its cool to see Harbinger on Themiskyra. I wonder if there’s a story that established that before this. It’s just a shame she died so quickly.

This is just a really cool showing of Superman’s power.

2 Likes

She is making a bold fashion statement, indeed. I applaud her fashion boldness, and I also do not understand the physics of how the pants stay in there place when she moves.

Same!

It’s beautiful - Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Yep first time but I have seen the movie this is based off of a few times.

Favorite moment was Big Barda and Wonder Woman fighting the Female Furries or Batman getting Darkseid to let Kara go back to Earth.

If I had to pick where Supergirl would live I would at least ask her where she wanted to stay. If she didn’t care where than I would probably go with Wonder Woman and Themyscria. Superman seems to close to the situation and Batman might never let her out of the Fortress of Solitude.

My favorite moment was Superman fighting Darkseid. I also enjoyed see Kara make her decision of what comes next.

This panel was cool to see everyone she will be teaming up with in the future and also had a little bit of humor as well.

2 Likes

1) I saw the animated film a couple of years ago, but this is my first time reading the story.

2) My favorite moment on Apokolips was when Kara was fighting Superman. He wasn’t fighting back at first, but you still got a full showing of how powerful she really is. She may not be at Superman’s level yet, but that’s only through a lack of experience. At the top of her game she is definitely one of the most powerful characters in the DC Universe.

3) Supergirl would definitely benefit the most by living with Superman. With the help of Lois and the Kents, she could develop into the all around good person and hero that Superman is. Assuming of course he’s sticking to his realization from later in the story that he was being overprotective. Batman will never fully trust someone of her power and Diana will turn her into more of a warrior than anything else. The way Superman was raised was to be a good person first, and the most powerful being on the planet second.

4) I don’t really have one standout moment, but the back and forth between the way Batman and Superman handled what was going on in the story was very interesting. They were both blinded by their ideals and thought they knew what was best for Kara but in very different ways. By the end of the story they seemed to finally meet in the middle with a better understanding of why they each handle things in the way that they do. Just another awesome look into the dynamic of Batman and Superman and what makes them so interesting when working together.

1 Like

Great picks! The Big Barda and Wonder Woman team up was gold! I want to see another round of that.

:laughing:

Loved this scene! It had heart, humor, and hope.

As always, thank you for reading and letting us know your thoughts!

1 Like

Hi and welcome! @KiteManFan1

Yes! She was just getting started. She’s quite a force to reckon with.

That’s what I love most about Supes. His character comes before his powers.

I completely agree! It was very interesting to read their competing points of view.

:smiley: agreed!

Thank you so much for reading along and letting us know what you thought of the book!

1 Like

Since we’re close to the end of this week, I’m just going to skip my images of the second half of the arc.

1. Is this your first time reading The Supergirl from Krypton ?

Nope – read a few times not long after it came out, as it was around the time I was starting to get into comics on the regular.

1. What was your favorite moment on Apokolips?

I think I would have to go with Batman’s bluff against Darkseid.

1. If you had to pick who Supergirl should live with, who would it be and why?: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, other?

Of the three choices, I think she flourished the most with Wonder Woman on Themiskyra, though I think Clark said it best at the end, where ultimately the best person to pick where to live is Kara.

1 Like

Actually, one more thought:

So…Martha Kent, of all people, designed a miniskirt and tiny halter top for this teenaged girl? Wow, Ma’s getting more lenient in her elder years. :joy:

2 Likes

The panels were fantastic. Just seeing Batman on his own against Darkseid was intense!

Thank you @Jay_Kay for sharing and discussing the book!

Not really. :wink:

I’m going to chime in on this one. Regarding the questions:

1. I’ve read this arc several times. Print single issues, the hardcover trade, Absolute Superman/Batman volume 1, the first volume of the most recent trade release of the series, digital single issues, etc. The point is, I’ll read this story as often as DC will publish it.

2. Ooh, tough! I’ll go with two:

● Barda and Wonder Woman fighting the Furies.
● Darkseid calling Batman’s bluff, only to realize that Batman isn’t ****ing around, and means every word of his threat.

1. Wonder Woman. Themyscira was a good place for Kara to train and get a solid grasp on who she is and what she can do.

2. Good golly Miss Molly, there are so many! From Barda being surprised, but not surprised that Batman slipped into her and Scott’s house undetected, to the aforementioned Furies battle, to Superman beating the absolute hell out of Darkseid and beyond, this arc has a never-ending bounty of badassery!

I :heart: :heart: :heart: this arc, Michael Turner and the Superman/Batman series in general.

Good pick @JLWWSM!

2 Likes

Supes beat him up all the way out to the source wall! I loved that scene! Thanks for chiming in :blue_heart:

1 Like
  1. Yes I have. I love this run!
  2. Would have to say the whole conversation between Batman and Darkseid.
  3. I get how being on Themyscira would be good for her but I would have her stay with the Kent’s till she was ready to venture out on her own. Knowing how to be a warrior is important for sure but I wouldn’t want her to develop the character traits of an Amazon (no offense). I would want her to have the traits and values that the Kent’s instilled in Clark and Conner.

Okay, I love the art in all these stories but here are a few panels that I really liked from this one that haven’t been posted.

I want this wet suit and scooter so bad!

Just dang thats cool

Low blow WW
ouch!

Not condoning the violence but it was a “thats right you tell’em Sup!” moment.

Shorty LOL

I need a whole comic with them! I love Big Barda :heart_eyes: @JLWWSM 4 of the 6 issues from the female furies is on here now. It’s a good one, might be worth putting on your list. (still waiting for that reject list LOL)

Epic!

Sorry Bats but I don’t think you’d survive that one!

This one just cracks me up. MM looks like he’s having a good old time LOL.

3 Likes

And a bit of shameless self plugging from last weeks art club challenge:

First time drawing Bats.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting way of considering it – for me, while I was reading I was thinking about how since how Clark was “raising” her was basically quarantining her in the Fortress, being on Paradise Island was helpful to her because she was able to interact with more people, make friends and actually experience the world, even if it’s a more fantastical, rarely seen part of it.

1 Like

This was my favorite run during the series. Mainly because of Michael Turner’s art work. The story is really well done as well. But man just looking at the art is just something else.
Gone to soon R.I.P. Michael Turner

4 Likes

Oh yeah I agree Themyscira is certainly better than the fortress, for all the reasons you listed. But if all options are on the table I’d go with the farm. (or back and forth between the two would be an ideal mix I think)

Fantastic panels! Thanks for sharing your comments and the panels. As for the furies, they’ve been on my watch-list for a while :wink:

1 Like

Cool, will def be here when y’all cover them!

Holy potatoes Dr. Jones, that’s REALLY good! I’m sure Michael Turner (may he continue to RIP) would be impressed.

The Female Furies mini is pretty good. I started with it last year, then dropped it. In resuming it when the trade came out, I found the whole shebang quite entertaining.

Full disclosure: I find anything with Fourth World characters to be fun. Of all the stuff The King created for DC, it’s my favrit (as Bibbo would say).

1 Like

Thanks man! It’s not quite spot on but if ya don’t look at the 2 side by side it’s not bad :joy:
at some point I might go in with some yellow for the claws but after first posting I noticed that the colorist made a boo boo. The extra spikes on the left claw are yellow in the original so I left them alone but they should totally be black because they’re part of his Gloves (whatever you call those side guard things).