DCU Book Club Week 89: SUPERMAN BATMAN (2010-) The Supergirl from Krypton, #8-13, May 25-31

“After the cataclysmic events of SUPERMAN/BATMAN #6, Batman discovers something strange and mysterious on the bottom of Gotham Bay…and it looks like a girl. Will she battle on the side of good…or evil?”

Greetings DCU,

Ready for a few epic fights? How about traveling across the galaxy? This story is like a ripple - it gets grander and grander with each issue!

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, May 25, 2020 and Sunday, May 31, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read :books:

SUPERMAN BATMAN (2010-) The Supergirl from Krypton, Issues 8-13

:superman_hv_1: :batman_hv_1: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading The Supergirl from Krypton?

2. What was your favorite moment on Apokolips?

3. If you had to pick who Supergirl should live with, who would it be and why?: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, other?

4. What were your favorite or standout moments in the story overall? Feel free to share panels!

We’d love to hear your general reactions to and thoughts about the story!

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

8 Likes

Oh nice! This was a great run, looking forward to going back over this part.

2 Likes

After years of bizarre attempts to offer alternative Supergirl origins (and Power Girl origins, for that matter), we finally get back to the simple, sufficient one. Even though it kinda goes all over the place*, it does a good job at modernizing some of the more dated elements of her classic origin. For instance, Kara doesn’t just meekly do whatever Superman tells her. Also, Themyscira is a far more suitable place to leave her than an orphanage.

*An army of Doomsdays?! Really, Jeph?

2 Likes

Fantastic - Glad to hear it!

1 Like

So true! She’s a teenager, she has the teenage rebellious streak. She is the older cousin. And she’s got a spunky personality.

I liked the Themyscira angle in the story. I think she needed to be around other amazing women for a little while to make friendships and connections - as well as combat training!

3 Likes

Voila!

It was #supermanbatman, who knew!

I’ve added it to the club entry, so you can find it here:
https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/superman-batman/573542d3-962f-41ef-a888-f82608f8ab94

3 Likes

Thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

I read this last year, I like how some things are same or different from the animated film.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Just went through the first issue. The bit about Superman going through self quarantine definitely hits different in 2020. :joy:

This issue definitely feels like a time capsule in that I don’t think any big two comics could get away with having a teenaged girl naked for the bulk of an issue.

3 Likes

The only thing about this, wish we could read Kryptonians. It would’ve been nice to see what Kara and Superman are saying.:confused:

There’s a translator key out there somewhere. It’s really just a cryptogram with symbols instead of letters.

3 Likes

Hi @Jay_Kay!

It really does hit differently now!

I didn’t know that - that’s cool!

I know I’ve seen people translate the dialogue in Kryptonese before.

Here’s the key:

U7tmEKx

5 Likes

I’m going to learn how to write my name in Kryptonian! Thanks for the key @Jay_Kay

Discussion for the girl from Krypton is open through Sunday !

1 Like

One of the big things I remember from this book is the contrasting monologues. It’s a bit goofy at times, but still effective.

Seeing Kara’s Earth attire reminds me of when @DCDaily covered the Birds of Prey TV show and how the ladies were so glad that low rise jeans are no longer a thing!

1 Like

Oh, I always hated that about Loeb’s run on the book.

Yeah, yeah. I said something negative about Jeph Loeb. Big surprise there.

3 Likes

I’m glad low rise jeans are done. They were so uncomfortable!

2 Likes

say what! I love that part of this run it’s such a good contrast and how there bipartisanship works so well. Next thing you’ll tell me is you don’t want Bruce to be batman! :wink:

1 Like

Looks down at his pants…yeah they’re totally done, I wouldn’t be caught dead in those things :sweat_smile:

1 Like