DCU Book Club Week 80: GREEN ARROW (2016) Issues 26 - 31; Mar. 23 - Mar. 29

“HARD TRAVELING HERO” part one! Unwilling to let another city suffer the same fate as Seattle, Green Arrow kicks off a new quest to hunt down the Ninth Circle across America! To stop disaster before it can happen, the (in)famously hot-headed Oliver Queen must mend fences with those he’s alienated in the past, starting with THE FLASH! The second epic year of GREEN ARROW REBIRTH begins here!

Greetings!

This week at DCUBC, we are going on a road trip with our favorite Emerald Archer. A lot of us may be stuck at home, but that doesn’t mean we can’t tag along with Oliver Queen as he teams up with our favorite heroes.

I hope all of you are staying safe and staying healthy.

How to join the fun:

*Start reading! Issue One is available here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read all six issues between 2020-03-23T05:00:00Z2020-03-29T05:00:00Z

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading Green Arrow (2016) issues 26-31?

• What did you think of Oliver Queen in this book?

• Which “team up” was your favorite?

• What was your favorite page or panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

4 Likes

YAY! This looks so fun!

Bookmarked.

Wow looks like Green Arrow and Black Canary have their hands full this time!!!

It has its moments :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • Is this your first time reading Green Arrow (2016) issues 26-31?
    This was my first time reading these issues. They instantly reminded me why I enjoy Green Arrow stories.
  • What did you think of Oliver Queen in this book?
    Ollie being the lovable underdog is one of the reasons I really like this title and this character.
  • Which “team up” was your favorite?
    While i enjoyed all the team ups with each member of the League, of course,my favorite was with my guy Green Lantern. I’ll never get tired of reading this duos adventures.
  • What was your favorite page or panel?
    This page is amazing to me! From art, to layout, to content… This one has it all
2 Likes

No, but there was a lot of stuff here that I didn’t remember. It was like reading for the first time all over again.

I like Ollie. I like him especially because he has such a bad rep but has to not give a…um, has to not care.

The Flash. After seeing the be best bids in the Arrowverse for so long, it was interesting to see a completely different dynamic between the characters.

Following up on the last question, I really liked in the last issue where Ollie turns down League membership and the Flash is all, “Oh, c’mon!!”

1 Like

YES perfectly sums up why i love the character so so much

Classic duo and a great pick.

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

Same. The only thing I really remembered when i started the re read was the end (Where they offer him a spot on the team) and really not caring for it. Upon re reading it was exactly what i needed.

Speaking of the ending! I love that part too. It was a great moment of growth for the character.

I’m still reading and I haven’t read the above comments yet, but I just HAD to stop when I saw this Speedforce bird because it’s A SPEED FORCE BIRD (At least I think it is, I’m still reading). Still this bird is cool! Love these panels and the art so far!

4 Likes

Yes first time reading these issues.

Oliver is an unique superhero and it’s always interesting to see how he solves his problems in the end. It was interesting to see how Oliver reacted to the members of the Justice League and how each of them thought he was guilty of the crime he committed in Star City/Seattle but by the end of their time with him they see him in a different light and as a possible member of the JL.

I enjoyed all the team ups but I think I would have to go with Green Lantern as my favorite. I think the whole relationship between Oliver and Hal was what made their team up stand out above all the others. I enjoyed seeing Barry using the speed force with Oliver on his bike at the end of issue 26. I thought the Superman team up didn’t really seem like they had much page time as the others had between themselves and Oliver.

My favorite panel was

I think it reiterates the relationship between Oliver and Hal and how much they respect each other.

2 Likes

Out of all of them other heroes, Ollie and Hal’s relationship felt the most fleshed out. I definitely agree.

1 Like

Totally forgot about that part! FANTASTIC PICK!

1 Like

It’s not too late to let us know what you thought of this week’s selection!

• First time!

• I liked watching Oliver realize he needed help, and accepting help, while ultimately knowing who he is in the end. He didn’t join the Justice League because he knew he worked better as a rogue agent.

• Wonder Woman was fun. My number 1 favorite was Ollie and Lex (with a little super-help from Superman):

• It’s hard to pick a favorite panel because the art was gorgeous all around. This moment made me giggle:

This story was quite a treat! I didn’t expect to see so many Justice League members and really enjoyed them. I also enjoyed Black Canary and Emiko’s arc. Thanks for another great pick! @MattMcDonald

2 Likes

YES! It was so good as well. I love the dynamic between those two.

1 Like

It is, although I have read several Green Arrow runs. I loved the references to the 70’s Green Lantern + Green Arrow Hard Traveling Heros

I felt he was a little less the cantankerous, quarrelsome Oliver I know and love. But maturing and growing less arrogant isn’t all bad for him. Plus his sense of social justice, right and wrong were as strong as ever.

Wonder Woman. They just clicked in D.C. together. I’m not sure why but I felt the Hal Jordan reunion was the weakest, maybe just because of the expectations from the original run.

I loved the art in this run. The art was striking and great at showing motion and action. Many scenes referenced ‘classic’ looks.

This was a great pick for DCU Book Club!

1 Like

Greetings, Matt and JL! Thanks once again for continuing to post these fun multi-part storylines hiding in plain sight in our DCU Library!

(questions paraphrased to be answered below):

1. 1st time reading: For sure. I follow mainly either team books or sci fi / near future small press storylines, so solo characters like Green Arrow or Batman I often pass by. The one exception to that is Superman for some reason.

2. What do you think of this version of Ollie? Just like in the CW show that I did follow pretty closely (“Team Arrow” right?), I do prefer the penniless Green Arrow version as opposed to the rich guy version.

3. Which team up was best? Part of the fun of this multi issue romp was the team ups. I overall enjoyed the painted art of the Batman issue. The Lex team up was wild, I kinda miss “anti hero” Lex frankly.

4. Favorite pages or panels: here ya go!

2 Likes

It did have a lot to live up to! I didn’t find it to be the weakest, imo. But I can defiantly understand that point of view.

Thanks for reading!

Lex team up was great and I too miss anti hero lex. He’s a love able jack ass.

Thanks don!

2 Likes

@Don-El and @MattMcDonald Oliver Queen flirts with anti-hero concepts, a longer Lex + Green Arrow team up could be a fascinating story.

1 Like