DCU Book Club Week 71: HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE (2012-) Issues 1-6, Jan 20 - Jan 26

I’m not sure. I haven’t a chance to read all of the rest of the series yet.

To your point, it works for some (myself included, I dove right in to the next series after reading this mini). The mystery of it all led to the next series, and there are more series after that, so I think it was successful because it led to more stories. Not all great stories get continued series, so if a series continues, then my guess is people were buying it and liked it.

2 Likes
  • Is this your first time reading He-Man?
    Yes
  • What is your history with He-Man?
    The cartoon
  • What do you like most about He-Man?
    That he is human and has heart
  • Which character’s background story are you most curious about?
    Adam
1 Like

Party/question time:

1. I’ve read this mini before, as well as most of the other DC published MOTU comics. They’re very underrated, and quite entertaining.

2. History with MOTU:

• I got into it via watching the original TV show on VHS, as a nearby video store had several tapes of the show, along with other 80’s greats like G.I. Joe, M.A.S K., ThunderCats and so on.

• I bought many of the toys from garage sales in the early '90s. They were alot of fun.

• The movie blew my mind when I saw it for the first time (I was 7 or 8), which was via coming across it on TV. I kept thinking “Seeing He-Man and Skeletor in live action is so cool!”

• When the 2002 reboot debuted, I watched that show and collected the toyline based on it for a while.

• I read most of DC’s MOTU comics up until 2016. I’m sure the crossovers with ThunderCats and Injustice are fine, but they’ve never interested me. I like my DC over here, and my 80’s fantasy over there, thank ya veddy much. :slightly_smiling_face:

Speaking of MOTU-based crossovers, I would absolutely read one that features The Beast Master. Especially if He-Man is drawn to look like Dolph Lundgren, while Beast Master (his name is Dar, right?) looks like Marc Singer.

• I haven’t seen much of The New Adventures of He-Man, the second MOTU TV series. It doesn’t sound like I’ve missed much, but I’m still curious to check it out.

• I like She-Ra and her coterie of characters, but I’ve never been able to get into her original TV series, it just never hooked me. The Netflix show is fun, however I’ve seen maybe one full episode so far, so I’m not too versed in it.

• The heart of the He-Man/She-Ra Christmas Special is in the right place, but it’s just a lump of coal in the stocking that is TV Christmas specials. Its not too far away from the Star Wars Holiday Special in terms of its cheese/“what the hell?” factor.

1. What I like most about MOTU in general is that it’s a fun mish-mash of sword and sorcery, high adventure and technology.

When I was a kid, the thing I liked most about the franchise was Teela, specifically her animated counterpart.

1. I already had a mild familiarity with the backgrounds of most of the characters in this series when it debuted, so there wasn’t a major character in the series that I was wanting to know more about.

As for MOTU characters in general, I’d like to know more about characters like Snout Spout, Rio Blast and the like. I never had their figures as a kid, and I don’t recall them seeing them in animation or the comics, so they and others like them would be fun to learn more about.

This was a fun re-read. I’m now tempted to re-read some of the other MOTU titles in our library.

2 Likes

Hi @ProActress2O!

Great call out! Adam has a really chill attitude and warm personality and heart. I like that about him too. I enjoyed reading more about Adam and getting reacquainted with his character.

Thanks for reading along and sharing! :smiley:

1 Like

@Vroom

Your He-Man history was so fun to read - you’re like an expert on MOTU!

Did you happen to see this toy grayskull castle? It sure looks like fun! I would’ve loved to have that toy castle as a kid.

Thanks for sharing all the fun MOTU details this week and for reading along :smiley:

1 Like

This was a fun little read! I usually don’t like plots that involve amnesia and memory loss (since it’s played out) but hot damn did it work here! I loved seeing He-Man pull that sword. This moment was so epic

Questions:

1. First time!

2. I’ve of course heard of He-Man but that’s about it. Wasn’t skeletor in an insurance commercial or something? I’ve see whatever that was.

3. This book had some GRADE A BANTER. The back and forth between our lead characters was so delightful.

4. Have to be Skeletor. He was insanely cool. I would love to see more of him!

I think I like He-Man now? Great pick @JLWWSM as always!

1 Like

Also how cool was this page from issue 6:

So cool!

1 Like

Hi @MattMcDonald! Glad you liked it! It cracked me up.

Skeletor is one the coolest villains ever. Everything about him screams, ‘I’m villain, and I’m good at it! Other villains WISH they look as cool me’ :laughing:.

Glad you enjoyed the trip to Eternia!

Only thing cooler than a regular tiger, is huge green tiger!

1 Like

Keith Giffen is the king of the witty banter.

Ok everybody, make room for Don-el in this bookclub party of the week!

1. Is this your first time reading He-man? I believe it is the first time I’ve read a run like this of him.

2. History with: We purchased Castle Greyskull and various characters for my son back in the mid-80s when he was a wee lad. While it saddens me he doesn’t recall Star Blazers much, He-man is a fond memory for him.

3. Most like of He-man? Well, I’m not exactly fully on board the He-man train yet, it wasn’t my childhood he appeared in, but of course good vs evil PLUS quirky characters like Man-E-Faces (a toy figure with a revolving head), Orko the purple “cute” ghosty thing and Ram Man, the kinda dumb from concussions one tune wonder, etc.

4. Character most intriguing: toss up between He-man and Skeletor. I’m saddened that Orko turned evil, again, a real cutie pie of a character, whimsical etc. I do hope the evil creature at the very end isn’t Orko Revealed!!

Fun romp, not sure why poor Teela had to run around in a fur bikini so much, I guess Eternia’s JC Penney closed there too…

1 Like

I wondered the same thing about Orko, because that is one character I did have some knowledge of, mostly that a lot of kids found him annoying. I wonder if this is the equivalent of what they did with Scrappy in the cinematic masterpiece that is the 2002 Scooby Doo movie.

There’s always room at the book club party for you @Don-El !

:laughing: (seriously though - poor JC Penny)

Your son was lucky to have you as a parent, you bought him the cool toys.

Like your son, I didn’t remember many of the supporting characters, and now as soon as I see them, I think, “oh yeah! I remember that one now”. It’s awesome that he has fond memories of the character, lots of us 80s kids do!

Thanks for sharing and reading along.

1 Like

Fun Fact: In the original MOTU TV series, Orko was voiced by Filmation head executive Lou Scheimer. His daughter, Erika, was involved with the show as a director.

I never found Orko annoying. He’s an absolute badass compared to the original iteration of Snarf from ThunderCats (however, the 2011 Snarf was cute and fun), as well as Gleek and, sigh Wendy and Marvin’s dog, to say nothing of the monkey from Space Ghost (Blip?).

@JLWWSM I had Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain when I was little. The early '90s were a glorious time to score awesome '80s toys at ridiculously cheap prices at garage sales.

That was of course several years before eBay came along (which was 1996 or '97 by my count) so it was entirely feasible to score those great toys at great prices then. I would have flipped my little lid if someone had a box of several Super Powers figures for $10 or so, but I never came across Super Powers toys in my garage sale days.

@Don-El The original Man-E-Faces figure was so rad. He was one of my favorite figures, and I always lit up with a smile when he appeared on the show.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I just spit water out at my desk :joy::rofl:

2 Likes

No problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know I’m late, but it’s not the first time…

This is my first time reading this series, but I was WAY into He-Man when I was a kid. That and Transformers were my jam. I had most of the line, I think (I was a bit spoiled). Oh, and Super Powers! Boy, the crossovers we could have.

Ah, childhood…

I think what I like the most may be the Shazam! aspect where normally he’s just your run of the mill prince until he screams at people about having power.

I agree with you all…I really want to know what happened to Orko. No way the little guy actually betrayed them.

1 Like

:rofl: that’s great!

That’s what my heart says too. Who’s behind this?!!! How dare someone mess with Orko!

Thanks for reading and sharing @ralphsix

1 Like

Thanks for that one shot recommendation! I’ll be saving it and reading it later today!

Edit: Couldn’t wait, just read it. I’m just realizing Hordak is the same in She-Ra. Boom, mind blown.

Pretty good one shot. It gets you to sympathize with him for a bit and then reminds you how much of a duck he can be. Haha

1 Like