DCU Book Club Week 7: BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN Issues 7-13

Glad you guys are enjoying it, It’s a personal favorite of mine :slight_smile:

Just finished the series earlier today, and it’s by far one of my favorite Batman books I’ve read! Definitely the best mystery comic I’ve read, the twists and turns in the last couple issues were amazing!

1 Like

Batman:The Long Halloween, imo is the single greatest batman story ever told. Anyone who has the faintest idea about who batman is can pick it up without needing to know anything else, the mystery is thoroughly engaging, the characters are some of the truest depictions of themselves that exist, and the artwork and color pallette is unique enough to stick in your mind long after you have read it, but simple enough to feel familiar when you are reading it. 11/10

3 Likes

I really quite enjoyed it. The ending was definitely a highlight for the piece and was shocking but incredibly satisfying. I had two solid suspects for the piece and I’m glad that I was kinda sorta right, lol, but it was really a great mystery that kept me reading. I’m excited to see where they go with Dark Victory and Catwoman When in Rome, after reading this marvel. I also really loved the Calendar Man vs Holiday bit that we got in there and the mob pieces were really cool. Sofia Gigante Falcone stood out to me in this work as her character wasn’t overstated but she was had some really great parts and I loved seeing a female in that type of a role in the work. I also loved the illustrations with Harvey’s teeth when he was bandaged, how we get to see the acid had eaten holes through his teeth. That was something that I’d never really thought too much about before so it was really cool, and kinda gruesome to see. I could go on and on, but I’ll end it saying that I just enjoyed the book, it wasn’t the best comic I’ve ever read, but it certainly was up there.

1 Like

@yazov thanks for posting this , also thanks for making a spoiler-free , I appreciate that as well .
I think the reviews for the last part of this Professor M actually starts up Friday at 5 pm through the weekend. ( spoiler alert today’s Thursday in many parts of the world).

Almost finished reading this story for the first time. I. Love. It.

2 Likes

The artwork in this comic is amazing, and the story is great too. I love how sale draws stuff, his poison Ivy is awesome. I met him at a comicon and got one of his sketchbooks that had a few long halloween drawings in it. He was really nice too.

3 Likes

To me a lot of the magic is the special pastel coloring that Gregory Wright does and then he also does in Dark Victory

1 Like

I’m looking forward to the spoiler discussion starting at 5 eastern on Friday!

2 Likes

First time I’ve read this. LOVED it!

1 Like

Its so epic.

1 Like

I’m going to have to avoid this bat Channel tomorrow from 5 on since I’m not going to read this until Saturday

I just finished reading all 13 for the first time. I can say I loved it all about as much as I am confused by it all. Lol. Cant wait to chat about this as I have questions. Perhaps I should wiki this as well before I hop back in.

1 Like

Wow! Good to hear from so many of you! Sorry I e been gone recently. Life’s been throwing a lot at me! I’ll be more active this weekend! See y’all then!

:heart:

2 Likes

When is the discussion on this? I read the TPB a few weeks ago and would love to know what others think about the ending.

1 Like

Spoiler discussion starts at 5PM EST today!

1 Like

I’m a BIG Godfather fan. Half the fun for me was picking up on all of the film references. This is where the humor laid for me. The true testament to any great noir piece is that it carries a streak of humor to contrast the dark themes. Bravo!

2 Likes

It’s really cool to see so many references to things outside of the DCU/comics in general. I wish there was more of that in today’s books.

It is a great Mob Movie, but wait it’s a Batman comic. How did that happen? Simple with great writing you get fantastic stories. Add to this amazing art by Tim Sale and you get a masterpiece. I read is every year for Halloween and love it more every year.

1 Like

People have talked about the art and the writing, both are excellent, but one of the things I like most is the coloring. The use of solid blacks for shadows really helps to set up a dark tone for the books.

1 Like