DCU Book Club Week 60: THE FALL AND RISE OF CAPTAIN ATOM (2017) Issues 1-6, Nov 4 - Nov 10

Clancy Brown was decent as Eiling on The Flash (writing on the character was bland, but Brown was good casting), but Keith David might be even better.

1 Like

So as I’m driving in the dark tonight, I recall a scene from some comic book I read this week where a guy stops to help a lady who’s car has broken down, and she’s laying on the ground even I think. As the fella stops to assist, a couple of young punks come out of hiding, one with a mohawk haircut and a gun, to take the nice guy’s car. But I couldn’t remember anything else, or where I read that. I’m like “oh boy, Gramps is finally losing it.” Then, 2 hours later I’m home, and figure, hey, I’ll search my reading history here on DCU, maybe it was something I read here. TA DA …I see The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom, and it all clicks, oh yeah, the scene from when he is in the past, and the bullets show he still has the atomic powers, whew. I then finished 5 and 6, and gotta say, a fun read, good art, very believable intrigue, and it really tugged at the ol’ heartstrings seeing his son hate him as “Dad” but look up to him as the Captain.

Side note, I picked up the DC Archives of the original Captain Atom from Steve Ditko / Joe Gill / Charlton Comics of the '60s FOR FREE today (A $49.95 value “Action Heroes V.1”) at a “buy one get one free” archive sale at one of them there brick and mortar antiquated comic book stores.

5 Likes

Hi @Don-El

That scene is engrained in my head because it’s right before my favorite scene where he gets snatched back to present time.

Same. I think one of the strengths of this story is that it has so much heart.

You caught an awesome sale!

I’m happy you were able to finish the series and enjoyed the read!

1 Like

We wrap our discussion of Captain Atom :atom_symbol: tonight!

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware Clancy Brown played Wade Eiling on The Flash. Which episode @BatJamags?

I liked J.K. Simmons’ portrayal of him on Justice League Unlimited. “Who?” you may ask, to which I say this guy:

You might recognize him as J. Jonah Jameson, as well as the DCEU James Gordon.

He was a recurring villain in the first season. Based on what I hunted up, he was in episodes 5, 13-14, 16, and 21 and had no appearances thereafter.

Neat. Thanks for the info.

1. This is the first time reading The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom.

2. The moment that surprised me the most was when we found out that Max Thrane was stuck in that Q-field for almost 10 years and time slowed down around him to keep him alive.

3. I think Captain Atom would be awesome in the League but I also think that he is in a league of his own. It would be cool to see how he reacts with all the other superheroes and to see if they ever find out that he is the original Captain Atom. I think he is in a league of his own due to his commitment still to the military and keeping his identity a secret from the world for as long as possible.

4. My favorite moments were seeing Superman leading Cyborg and GL to assist Captain Atom from going nuclear, the JL looking on at the end of the series and maybe seeing a new recruit to the League, any time Captain Atom faced off against Ultramax, and seeing him and his son flying in the F-16 together.

5. My favorite panel was

This panel set up so much of the rest of the story and was just cool to see.

I wish this series would of kept going because we still have a lot of questions that need to be answered. Hopefully someday we may get another adaptation of this Captain Atom.

2 Likes

Hi and great to see you @Lecouch84!

Awesome call out! I think the art during that sequence is really cool.

I would read that story with :popcorn:. Sounds very entertaining.

:arrow_up: All of this!

Amazing! That whole scene took me by surprise. I was completely drawn in to their whole exchange.

I hope so too!

Thank you for reading along with us and sharing your reflections!

1 Like

He’s also part of one of the more memorable parts of the first season of Flash.

“Not God. Grodd.”

1 Like
  • Is this your first time reading The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom? This was my first time reading Captain Atom. I have seen him appear in other titles though.

• What moment surprised you the most? I was totally surprised that General Eiling was the the guy who snitched on Ultramax.

• Do you think Captain Atom should be in a league? Or is he in a league of his own? I think he is a loner. I do not think he would be good in a team. He doesn’t like taking orders.

• What were your favorite moments? My favorite moment was when he finally meets his son and they get to fly the F-16. It was a fatherly moment even though his son had no clue he was flying with his father.

• What was your favorite panel?

I liked this panel because I was glad that Dr. Megala was the one that was secretly sending information about Captain Atom’s son. At some points I wasn’t so sure that Dr. Megala was being a friend to Captain Atom or if Captain Atom was just an experimental weapon to him.

1 Like

I’m still not sure. The information about his son is what got him to play ball with Eiling’s plan.

2 Likes

Hi! @BigBean

Ouuu! Great call out! Yeah, Eiling is a complicated character. He used Ultramax when it suited his needs, then turned him in cause he knew he was pretty vicious.

In my mind, one day, his son will know who his father is, and look back on that moment in the F-16 with pride for his father :cry:.

Great Panel! Like @ralphsix I’m still not sure if he is friend or foe. I think maybe he’s feeling guilty, but also curious?

General Eiling didn’t know his son had powers. Dr. Megala knew Eiling would stalk the son if he knew the son has powers. So if Dr. Megala was trying to protect the son, why tell Eiling? I’m so confused by Dr. Megala’s motives. :thinking: Maybe Dr. Megal figured Eiling would eventually find out about the son’s powers so he figured he might as well tell Eiling and Captain Atom. It least then they could monitor anything Eiling may do to his son and keep Captain Atom in the loop?.. There are so many possibilities for his motives!

Thanks for joining us and sharing your thoughts. There’s a lot going on in this book!

2 Likes
  1. Yes!
  2. Definitely the son. I forgot that whole story beat and when they showed him bringing the flowers to his mom, I lost it.
  3. Even after his “rebirth” Atom is dangerous. I definitely think he’s in a league of his own.
  4. Speaking of rebirth my favorite bit was seeing him come to terms with his new self. I loved his new look.
  5. Seeing him fly to the moon and not being able to make it broke my heart :frowning:

Great pick JL it’s definitely piqued my Captain Atom interest!

2 Likes

Hey there!

Oh good, I’m glad it wasn’t just me :laughing: . I choked up at that scene.

I think this story did a good job of showing how dangerous he is.

It was very powerful.

That’s a gorgeous panel.

I’m happy you enjoyed it and thanks for joining the discussion!