DCU Book Club Week 60: THE FALL AND RISE OF CAPTAIN ATOM (2017) Issues 1-6, Nov 4 - Nov 10

” ’Blowback’ part one! Captain Atom hasn’t been seen or heard from in years-and even if you think you know what happened to him…you’re wrong! But you’re not alone. To this day, no one on Earth-not even the other superheroes-has an inkling of the missing Captain Atom’s true fate. At last, the truth is about to be revealed in a saga that transcends not only the meaning of life and death, but the limits of time and space.”

Greetings DCU,

Thanks for dropping in! This week we are traveling through time, space, and quantum fields with Nathaniel Adam, AKA Captain Atom, in this explosive series!

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, November 4, 2019 and Sunday, November 10, 2019.
• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!
• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read: THE FALL AND RISE OF CAPTAIN ATOM (2017), Issues 1-6 :books:

:atom_symbol: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom?

2. What moment surprised you the most?

3. Do you think Captain Atom should be in a league? Or is he in a league of his own?

4. What were your favorite moments?

5. What was your favorite panel?

We’d love to hear your general reactions to and thoughts about the story overall.

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC)
Happy Reading!

5 Likes

Waitaminute.

If I’d known this was written by Bates and Weisman, I would’ve read it months ago. I love their Captain Atom series from the '80s.

1 Like

Hi @JeepersItsTheJamags
I haven’t read the one from the '80s, that’s awesome to hear. I’ll be curious to know how you think this one compares to their earlier work on Captain Atom.

1 Like

I remember being interested in what this series was going to do – especially since this was after Rebirth started and people were wondering if Captain Atom was going to have anything to do with the Doctor Manhattan revelation from that one-shot. Looking forward to finally getting into this.

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to read this one, and now is the time. Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Glad to hear it @Jay_Kay and @Vroom! I look forward to hearing what you think of the story.

1 Like

So far, so good! It’s inspired me to re-read portions of the New 52 volume of Captain Atom, an underrated run of Mr. Adam’s adventures.

1 Like
  • Is this your first time reading The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom?
    Yes

• What moment surprised you the most?
    When it seemed like captain atom died but he actually traved back in time

• Do you think Captain Atom should be in a league? Or is he in a league of his own?
    I think he should be in a league of his own, because while it would be great to be in the JL. He would probably break the rules or bend them.

• What were your favorite moments?
    When captain atom defeated ultramax

• What was your favorite panel?
    #6, Page 17

1 Like

What a coincidence – reading the first issue reminded me that I’d been meaning to try out that run. I thought I’d just read the first issue of that run and head back…ended up reading the first arc. It was surprising to see that this seems like a continuation of that run – I figured it would be more akin to the original Bates/Weisman run.

1 Like

I sure hope this Captain Atom book references his whirlwind adventures in Extreme Justice. :wink:

1 Like

Starting this now! Looks good!

1 Like

Well, I don’t know about that, but Bates and Weisman were surprisingly willing to incorporate the silliness going on in Justice League International and later Justice League Europe in their original run, so maybe…

(Except for the reboot.)

Hey there @ProActress2O !

Yes! That was quite a twist. I was convinced he was really gone and would return some other kind of way. I must admit, the description of all the things the 90s did not have sounded pretty good, at first, until the list got longer… :laughing:

Good point!

Cool pic! This was fantastic. I cheered every time Captain Atom outwitted UltraMax.

Always glad to have you! Thanks for chiming in and reading along!

1 Like

Cool! I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of this one.

I decided to read the New 52 series before starting this, so it might be a little while before I catch up. Two issues into that series, I’m hating the visual redesign and Captain Atom was overpowered enough without also being Firestorm, the Atom (of the Non-Captain variety), and Doctor frickin’ Manhattan all rolled into one glowy flaming-mohawked package, but the actual plot is pretty solid so far.

1 Like

Thank you and no problem, really exciting to read comics I’ve never read before :smile:

1 Like

Finished New 52 Captain Atom. It went from a kind of watered down version of '80s Captain Atom to trying too hard to be the Hulk to this whole metaphysical thing that didn’t make a ton of sense and just wasn’t as interesting as the more practical drama from Bates and Weisman’s run. It’s late, so I’ll have to get to the actual reading tomorrow.

1 Like

Two issues to go. It’s great to see a Rebirth series that ties in with a New 52 series. As I was saying to @JeepersItsTheJamags on another fan forum, Captain Atom New 52 was one of the fun innovative series that I looked forward to when DC carpet bombed us with 52 new series back in late 2011.

The whole time travel / quantum physics concept works in this fictional world well. And I was not surprised at all to see the government closely monitoring Captain Atom’s son.

Looking forward to finishing out the last two issues. What a bittersweet tale, but one that I bet many servicemen and women can relate to who left one home situation to return to a very different one years later in spite of promises made etc.

4 Likes

Yep! Poor kid.

2 Likes