DCU Book Club Week 6: BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN Issues 1-6

Eh…I can’t really agree. They both rock in different ways.

1 Like

I agree I prefer the art here to TDKR but I think they are both great!

1 Like

This is a great run. Always thought this would make for an amazing animated movie.

1 Like

When I first started reading this I didn’t like the art, I think some of the faces seemed kinda off. The more I read though the more I appreciated the way Sale uses solid blacks and whites, it feels noir almost and I think it compliments the story very well.

3 Likes

I hate the art in Long Halloween tbh. Joker, Two-Face, and Poison Ivy all look horrible. :frowning:

1 Like

Joker looks like a cartoon, Ivy’s hair is like attached to her plants… or whatever that is that’s going on, and Two-Face’s burned side looks like crinkled paper.

1 Like

Yeah, there are bits of Sale’s stylistic choices I don’t agree with, but his talent is undeniable.

1 Like

Different strokes! I love the art.

1 Like

While i’ve only read 2 issues so far I do have a question in regards to plot I guess i’ll write my question when the discussion hits at 5.

1 Like

I think the art is enjoyable as art, but it’s got interesting style choices for the story. So far, it feels very much like The Godfather, and I think we’ve seen the money scene which we get in Dark Knight Rises film, which was enjoyable to see the original version of that. I also really enjoy the Alberto eye panels, like those were incredible. I think it’s a really enjoyable story so far, I think it’s gonna get better but it’s enjoyable and I’m glad that I get to use both the digital and my physical copy.

2 Likes

I read Haunted Knight and I wasn’t a fan of Tim Sale’s penguin(at least the mouth), he doesn’t have my favorite depictions of the Batman rogue gallery, but I can definitely appreciate it for the piece, and I think they actually compliment his Gotham really well, which I have to say that I absolutely love how he depicts Gotham, like really, it looks gorgeously ominous and it just adds to the piece beautifully and I think the villains compliment the scenery a little bit better than other depictions. It feels more like we’re looking at the base of the characters as opposed to their humanity, we see more monster than man in his villains and I think that’s definitely an interesting choice.

1 Like

Just a reminder for this weekend’s discussion: Please do not spoil anything that happens during Issues 7-13

See y’all soon :heart:

1 Like

This is my first time reading The Long Halloween after hearing so much about how good it is and it’s awesome. I tried to just read a couple issues at a time, but I was super hooked. From the art style, to the style of the storytelling, it was different from most things I’ve read. Really really wish we could see a good live action version of this story

2 Likes

Issues 1-6 spoilers incoming! What did everyone think of the first half of Long Halloween?

2 Likes

Also I’m curious to know. Is this your first time reading The Long Halloween or are you revisiting it?

2 Likes

First time reading The Long Halloween (I still need to read #4 through 5#5) but a question came up during my reading how did Harvey and his wife survive the bomb sent to their house? Doesn’t seem like much detail was offered. If someone can answer this I would really appreciate it!!

2 Likes

I got lost there too, Eclipse. I’d love an explanation from anyone as well.

This is my first time reading the series. I read 1-6. I became more engaged with each issue, and can’t wait to find out who the Holiday killer is. I’m wondering what cat woman is up to and if she bought the “Bruce is my friend” excuse.

1 Like

@JLWWSM I def should finish the reading by tonight for sure , but glad to see it wasn’t just me who was confused. “I went with for the sake of the plot” Idk I reached out to Matt on Twitter too take a look at my question

1 Like

@eclipse

I’m not actually sure. Great question! I chalked it up to comic book nonsense but if there is an actual answer someone has I’d love to hear it!

1 Like

Never Read it before, but am about to. You should start a discord server for this book club. I like the concept.

3 Likes