DCU Book Club Week 29: The Multiversity: Ultra Comics & Multiversity #2

@Vroom

I was extra excited about Dr. Sivana due to the Shazam! movie too. I cheered when Mary, Shazam and Freddy showed up.

I would’ve loved to see more of Aquawoman.

Wow, I think you covered almost all of the characters in your review - that is no small task! =)

1 Like

@MattMcDonald

In Ultra, I was so grossed out by the jewel removal - lol. I think the creativity throughout the series is top-notch.

@JLWWSM

Ugh it made me cringe. Art was TOO good there.

1 Like

I like Westerns, so I really enjoyed this panel!

2 Likes

That’s one of my favs too. I just wish I knew who that fellah in the back on the left is. I know he’s been in other titles…I want to say one of the Firestorm books.

Just finished this week’s book club books. Overall, I was pretty satisfied! Ultraman was a very dark book, but it really showed why it caused all those terrible things. Ultraman (throughout the series) is mentioned as a book that can cause terrible things by just reading it, and reading it really showed why that is. Multiversity #2 was pretty good, but the ending was a little disappointing. However, throughout the book, it had many great points, such as when all the speedsters banded together, and when the Justice Incarnate, a group of the most powerful variants of each superhero, was formed.

1. My favorite panel was Page 46 (the entire page was one-panel :P). It was so cool seeing the most powerful variants of each hero all on one page, prepared to battle anything to protect the multiverse.
  2. I was confused with Gentry as a character. He sends his powerful minions to battle the Justice Incarnate, and when they get to him, he just says “Another day guys, I’m not feeling it today”, and just zaps them away?! I expected more backstory because we really don’t know anything about the character. Overall, disappointed.
  3. My favorite character was the giant “Egg Eye” from Ultra Comics. It was just so creepy and powerful that even Ultraman couldn’t defeat him! He really provided a dark theme that I think Ultraman packed the punch on.
2 Likes

@Flashpoint0900
I enjoyed the speedsters too and I wanted to know a bit more about the Gentry as well.
I uploaded the page 46 panel here. They look great!

Sorry, uploaded here

It was a lot of fun watching some of the heroes from this series return in Superman Rebirth Vol. 3. (including a small peak at Overman and the Bunny one)

1 Like

@JLWWSM

Ahh that was my favorite part. Ivan Reis’s art was too good here. He nails every character.

1 Like

It’s crazy how Morrison was able to reel the story back in for our last issue. Out of all of them it felt the most traditional. Art was phenomenal. Absolutely loved Aquawoman. She steals the issue for me. She was just so bad ass.

1 Like

Great Discussion everyone!

Our discussion of Multiversity ends tonight, be sure to get any last thoughts in.

Great read (for the second time, the first being when it was first published)! Again, a virtual tear is in my eye as I reflect that this beautiful construct of dimensions has been abandoned by DC, almost the same time the last issue was published, Guidebook and all, sniff!

This week’s questions:

) What was your favorite moment or panel in the epic battle in Multiversity #2?

I have to say the headless Captain Carrot showed how cool his superpowers are. That actually reminds me, there was a version of Captain Marvel once that featured body parts that would jet apart…Captain Marvel (M. F. Enterprises) (see graphic attached).

splitcap.jpg

1. What do you think of the Gentry as a villain?

The Gentry kind of reminded me of Mr. Nobody of the Doom Patrol. It isn’t often that we have a villain that is literally against cohesive rational reality. Many of us marvel at the world around us, sunrises, sunsets, the laws of physics, the predictability and measurability of our universe. A villain that kicks against the Order of our surrounding reality is a solid definition of evil, and it is rare to have a villain embrace pure evil like that. The Gentry having an even more evil and powerful Boss is of course supposed to scare us, especially since this Evil already consumed one other Multiversity!

1 Like
  1. Who was your favorite villain or hero and why?

I also liked the power of Aquawoman! If the story had tapped more into Super-Obama-President-Man I would probably have gone with him, but they just didn’t.
The Last Monitor is a close second, the way he faked out the Gentry by letting them control him while he played some cards they weren’t aware of.

Rating: 9.5 out of 10. What a fun series, so well thought out and baseline moral.

In many ways I wish DC had embraced what Grant Morrison (and others) had set up here, many many wonderful cohesive fictional worlds were put together here that I would have plunked down cash for…instead we went to Dark Metal and the Age of Heroes…that is now down to one last hero…

One final footnote: I do find it odd that a practitioner of Chaos Magic (as I understand Grant Morrison to be) would publish a book with a curse. I don’t practice magic, but I do also believe in the supernatural as a Christian, so a comic that claims to try to curse me is a tad disturbing. Reminds of the time I visited New Orleans for business, and a very disturbed person in the Old Town “amusement” area by the water seemed to give me a curse just because I caught their eye as they passed me…

@Don-El
I really like your description of the Gentry as “A villain that kicks against the Order of our surrounding reality”.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reflections. =)

1 Like

A glowing review from @Don-El! Woohoo!

1 Like