DCU Book Club Week 15: CHRISTMAS WITH THE SUPER-HEROES (1988)

Christmas with the Super-heroes: The Man Who Murdered Santa Claus (Len Wein, 1974)

Story 2: Len Wein writes a pretty shocking start of a mystery here with poor Santa Simpson being blown up in this Justice League story from back when Len W was the regular writer around 1974.

Len passed away last year at the age of 69. Mr. Wein is known for co-creating Swamp Thing with artist Bernie Wrightson in the 70s along with lots of writing gigs with both DC and Marvel. Another example of his many contributions to both DC and Marvel: in his first issue of Batman, #307 (Jan. 1979), he created Wayne Foundation executive Lucius Fox, I met Len back in 1977 at Ithacon 3 in Ithaca, NY. He was there with Marv Wolfman (they seemed to be close buds!) along withWalt Simonson and Al Milgrom (as I recall they all car pooled up from NYC to Ithaca that weekend).

I’m sure someone else mentioned it, but page 25 with the Legion of Super-heroes in the middle of this Key puzzle story is obviously some digital error…

Bonus, in the Epilogue, we get to see the first appearance of Red Tornado’s normal outfit, his Christmas gift (attached is Before and After the new suit gift)!!!

1 Like

Red Tornado after the Christmas gift new uniform: Wow, super coooool threads, man!! And Black Canary sewed it for you?

1 Like

Teen Titans 1968 “The TT’s Swingin’ Christmas Carol!”

Wow, that artwork of Nick Cardy just brings back so many ‘60s memories. It turns out N Cardy did many of the covers for DC comics in the late ‘60s then through the early ‘70s.

et8rDcA.png

1 Like

How much fun to see the original Teen Titans at work fighting crime, they look great via Nick Cardy’s renditions here!!! There is a certain comic twist to how Nick C portrays facial expressions especially.

1 Like

I don’t know Professor Matt, I might save the other stories in this for next Christmas
…wow, this is a ton of comics, Prof!

1 Like

I was sadly unable to do the reading for the last two weeks. Hopefully I will be up for this coming week, as I do enjoy these discussions.

2 Likes

It’s amazing how Mighty Matt keeps coming up with gems for us to read!

I would really also enjoy, maybe every other week to have the DCUBC dive into a year of DC history, like start with 1956 and read four or five comics from that era, talk about it etc.

We’ll see what they do with the library in the next few weeks here…

2 Likes

I forgot about Green Lantern slipping. That was great!

Picture: Comedy Gold.

1 Like

Bubble

Bubble

Red Tornado got the best Christmas gift of all. A kickin new costume!

2 Likes