DCU Book Club Week 111: NEW CHALLENGERS (2018-) Issues 1-6, Oct 26 - Nov 1

A mysterious professor gathers a group of five misfit strangers and sends them on a series of deadly missions across the multiverse.

Greetings DCU,

Hello and welcome to week 111!

The Challengers of the Unknown. Ever wonder why they’re called the unknown? Find out here! Check out this story where strangers are brought together to fight an enemy. Along the way, they find out what they have in common with each other.

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, October 26, 2020 and Sunday, November 1, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read: NEW CHALLENGERS (2018-) Issues 1-6 :books:

:hourglass: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: :hourglass:

1. Is this your first time reading a comic about the Challengers of the Unknown?

2. Which character(s) stood out the most to you and why?

3. Which moments or panels in the story were most memorable to you?

4. What do you think of the New Challengers?

As always, we’d love to hear your candid thoughts about and reactions to the story.

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

4 Likes

I really liked the explanation for the challengers’ hour glass :hourglass: symbol in the story.

If you’re curious about the Challengers of the Unknown, this is a fun story to check out!

1 Like

Hello there! Discussion is open through the weekend!

1 Like

Yes first time.

I think the character that stood out the most for me was Bethany because I would like to see all of the ways she has cheated death throughout her life and if she still thinks she is cheating death.

The most memorable moment was when we found out about the duplicates. I also liked seeing all of the Challengers past and how they died to set up their new lives.

Overall I thought the New Challengers was an interesting series but would of liked it to been a little bit longer to find out what they are up to now and if they are still trying to shape the multiverse.

1 Like

Hi! @Lecouch84 I hope you had a great weekend. :smiley:

She really had an interested past with all the ways she cheated death.

Cool! When I first read they were dead, I thought, wow, this is actually like a ghost story! I like seeing their pasts too.

Agree 100%!

Thank you for joining in and reading along. Glad you were able to read about Challengers of the Unknown! :blue_heart:

1 Like

Finished and posting my thoughts just before the next one pops up. So you might say this post is on…borrowed time.

Anyway!

• Is this your first time reading a comic about the Challengers of the Unknown?

Actually no. A long while ago I read a trade called “Challengers of the Unknown Must Die!” which piqued my interest because it was a Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale joint that I had never heard about until then. I later found out this was actually their first collaboration together. I don’t remember much about the story besides that, but it is here on DCU.

• Which character(s) stood out the most to you and why?

Hmm…I think I’ll also go with the lady with the death wish. While I’m not entirely sure what her story was (was she a soldier? Why was she in Afghanistan?), the idea of that kind of character being in a team literally on “borrowed time” was interesting.

• Which moments or panels in the story were most memorable to you?

Honestly, I think the parts of the story I liked best were the flashbacks to where these characters were before they “died.”

• What do you think of the New Challengers?

I think as characters with their own chemistry and story potential, they’re pretty cool and I wouldn’t mind seeing them show up in other things. With this story though, I think it kind of fizzled out toward the end. Like…I’m still not entirely sure what happened or what the stakes were after reading it.

I know this was one of the first of the “New Age of Heroes” books that were canceled, likely due to poor sales, so I get the feeling that this was more than likely 12-24 issues worth of story crammed down to 6.

1 Like

:laughing:
Hi! @Jay_Kay

That’s so cool!

Yeah totally!

It was so interesting to see who they were before “death”

Could be! It definitely felt like there was more to tell in this story.

Thanks for joining and sharing, and for the laugh!

1 Like